Ryan Mountcastle 2024

I've come to really appreciate what Mounty brings to the lineup. He's just a professional hitter. He's not perfect, but it's easy to forget he's a homegrown guy we drafted and developed and turned into a quality power-hitting 1B who hits in the middle of a lineup of a very good team. 

• Upvote 2

Things to take into consideration when evaluating Mounty,

- Vertigo

- The Wall

- Drafted and developed under a different regime. 

- He’s only 12 months older than Adley.  Meaning he can grow into being a more “professional hitter”.

Who knows how much the vertigo affected him?  Who knows how much the Wall got into his head?  How much does the current coaching staff/analytics dept help him compared to previously. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

What's your definition of a "professional hitter" then?

Well, there are plenty of good ML hitters who don't crack the .800 OPS mark, which is just an arbitrary threshold anyway. What I meant was just that he's a quality ML bat who knows how to hit and passes the eye test of a solid MLer. He's a guy you didn't realize you miss when he's not in the lineup, and we sort of take him for granted simply because we're foaming at the mouth for Coby Mayo, understandably. 

I much rather go by OPS+. Mounty is at 114, so 14% above average. You'd like it to be higher for a 1B, sure, but he also brings other skills like being decently fast, a good defender, and a knack for murdering the Blue Jays. If Mounty had stuck at 3B, we're probably not complaining as much about him. 

Let's compare him to someone like Trey Mancini, who had 2 seasons that can be described as better than any of Mounty's full seasons, but then completely fell off a cliff. I'll take Mounty's steady brand of "I wish he was slightly better but I'll take it" production. He's a solid player. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Things to take into consideration when evaluating Mounty,

- Vertigo

- The Wall

- Drafted and developed under a different regime. 

- He’s only 12 months older than Adley.  Meaning he can grow into being a more “professional hitter”.

Who knows how much the vertigo affected him?  Who knows how much the Wall got into his head?  How much does the current coaching staff/analytics dept help him compared to previously. 

Developed?  So the Elias regime gets no credit/blame for anything he's done as a hitter?

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, there are plenty of good ML hitters who don't crack the .800 OPS mark, which is just an arbitrary threshold anyway. What I meant was just that he's a quality ML bat who knows how to hit and passes the eye test of a solid MLer. He's a guy you didn't realize you miss when he's not in the lineup, and we sort of take him for granted simply because we're foaming at the mouth for Coby Mayo, understandably. 

I much rather go by OPS+. Mounty is at 114, so 14% above average. You'd like it to be higher for a 1B, sure, but he also brings other skills like being decently fast, a good defender, and a knack for murdering the Blue Jays. If Mounty had stuck at 3B, we're probably not complaining as much about him. 

Let's compare him to someone like Trey Mancini, who had 2 seasons that can be described as better than any of Mounty's full seasons, but then completely fell off a cliff. I'll take Mounty's steady brand of "I wish he was slightly better but I'll take it" production. He's a solid player. 

.800 isn't an arbitrary threshold.  It's pretty much a benchmark for a productive hitter.  

I don't know what you mean by "quality ML bat" and "knows how to hit."  Like, I think I know what you mean, but those are platitudes that get thrown around far too often to the point that they don't mean anything at all.  But when I see him flail away on a low and outside slider for the umpteenth time, I don't necessarily consider that a quality ML bat who knows how to hit.  He can run into a fastball from time to time and crush mistakes, but I don't know if I'd put him in the category of a "professional hitter" like I would for Adley.

I agree that Mounty has a place here, but I also don't find myself considering him super core member of the team.  He's a fan favorite and understandably so, and that's fine, per your comp to Trey Mancini.  But Mancini never was long for this team, I don't believe Mountcastle is either.  

• Upvote 2

A professional hitter is someone that gets paid to hit.  So by definition every position player in the league is a professional hitter.  Except Anthony Rendon.  He just gets paid.

Edited by yark14
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Developed?  So the Elias regime gets no credit/blame for anything he's done as a hitter?

Developed as in his whole time in the minors was under the prior regime. 

Developed vs MLB adjustments. It’s just semantics. At what point do big leaguers cross that “development” threshold?

Edited by sportsfan8703