The clips from Kennedy's "New Frontier" speech during the Orange Carpet?

ChipTait

During the Opening Day pregame ceremonies yesterday, the O's played an edited version of JFK's "New Frontier" speech, which he gave at the DNC in 1960.

My historian wife and I both found it a bit odd, and perhaps out of place.

Did anyone else feel it was a bit bizarre?  

Thanks,

I love listening to JFK speak.  He was so incredibly inspiring and dynamic.   

I have no idea why that speech was inserted into the Opening Day ceremony.  I guess the O’s are entering a new frontier?   Absolutely a weird choice.  

I kind of loved it anyway though.   

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t hear anything because the sound system is complete dog sh*t.

Good thing Palmer made a point of telling DMR about that during the booth visit.

Multiple times! 😄

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, justD said:

Good thing Palmer made a point of telling DMR about that during the booth visit.

Multiple times! 😄

They couldn’t hear Brown’s pre game. We saw it on the Jumbotron. They had no idea if Brown was talking about him or Ben at first.

BTW, OD is the best day of the year and I love being there but I must say that not hearing Brown, Palmer and Big Ben does suck. I really enjoy the 3 of them together.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They couldn’t hear Brown’s pre game. We saw it on the Jumbotron. They had no idea if Brown was talking about him or Ben at first.

BTW, OD is the best day of the year and I love being there but I must say that not hearing Brown, Palmer and Big Ben does suck. I really enjoy the 3 of them together.

If you can, I recommend going back and at least watching the innings where DR was in the booth with them. It really was great.

55 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I didn't see that part.  Choosing Kennedy is a bit weird, I suppose, but I agree with @Frobby.  Love hearing that man speak, even though I wasn't around for him.  

I was 6 when he was shot, so it’s not like I was politically aware or listening to his speeches at the time.  But I’ve heard a lot of them over the years.  Both the content and the delivery of his speeches were really compelling.  

• Upvote 2

I would assume it's a connection to JFK-

"As a boy, Rubenstein was inspired by President John F. Kennedy. He developed a keen interest in government and politics and hoped to pursue that someday."  

"Still interested in politics, Rubenstein knew that he wanted to pursue public service. He felt he did not have the charisma to be a political candidate, so he decided he would be the "man behind the man." He took a job on Wall Street with the politically attuned law firm of Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP. "The firm included a number of attorneys I had always admired, including Ted Sorensen," says Rubenstein. "He was a role model for me since he had been the top speechwriter and advisor to President Kennedy. I was a very young associate and he was a very senior partner, but I did work with him on a number of projects and developed a high regard for him."

https://horatioalger.org/members/detail/david-m-rubenstein/

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

Kennedy's New Frontier speech was a call to action for the nation.   Since this is Elias 6th opening day and Rubenstien's first I tend to guess that it was Rubenstein who picked the Kennedy speech.  Part of his Next Chapter theme.

• Upvote 2

Below is a link to Kennedy's full speech.  It is definitely worth reading as a snapshot into a critical and very interesting time in our history, but it is also politically very partisan with the Cold War lurking around every corner. The Ted Sorensen connection makes sense to me as well, but why here and why now?  I admit that I also find it pretty obscure as a theme for the first Opening Day under new Orioles ownership. 

https://www.shapell.org/manuscript/jfk-1960-new-frontier-speech/#transcripts

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Off topic but while we’re here the Rob Reiner podcast about the Kennedy Assassination and the conspiracy theories behind it are fantastic. Had to drive to SC last week, that got us down there most of the way. 

Seconded.  Lots of info that was not previously aware and articulated well by Reiner and Soledad OBrien. 

• Upvote 1