Gunnar Henderson 2024

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

Here are the last 12 guys to play 250+ games with a .850 OPS or more before their 23rd birthday:

• Ken Griffey Jr
  • Alex Rodriguez
  • Albert Pujols
  • Miguel Cabrera
  • Giancarlo Stanton
  • Mike Trout
  • Bryce Harper
  • Ronald Acuna Jr
  • Vladimir Guerrero Jr
  • Fernando Tatis Jr
  • Juan Soto
  • Gunnar Henderson

Pay heem.  Pay dat myan hees money.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s him or Adley but can’t imagine a catcher doing an in game interview.

True. I think Gunnar might actually be more on the national radar than Adley these days, which is saying something. But yeah I don’t think anyone wants our C talking to Karl Ravech while he’s catching tonight LOL. 

On 6/29/2024 at 11:57 AM, Say O! said:

That was empire status for sure (and really they’ve always been the dominant team), but they didn’t become “evil” until Steinbrenner IMO. 

Oh, I don't know. If it weren't for the evil Yanks winning basically every year we'd probably still have the New York Giants and Brooklyn Dodgers.

4 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Makes sense. He might be the biggest ‘buzz-level’ star playing  in this game even if Seager were to somehow play. 

Maybe I’m just old and crotchety but I absolutely hate these in game interviews.    And really don’t want our best player distracted for even a second.   Obviously Gunnar is sure he can handle it or he wouldn’t do it, but I’ll spend the inning worrying for him and not paying attention to the game.   

As I read what I wrote that definitely sounds like a me problem.    But still!   

11 minutes ago, murph said:

Maybe I’m just old and crotchety but I absolutely hate these in game interviews.    And really don’t want our best player distracted for even a second.   Obviously Gunnar is sure he can handle it or he wouldn’t do it, but I’ll spend the inning worrying for him and not paying attention to the game.   

As I read what I wrote that definitely sounds like a me problem.    But still!   

I find it pretty distracting. But I'm someone who doesn't even like dugout interviews during the game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I find it pretty distracting. But I'm someone who doesn't even like dugout interviews during the game.

I’m with you.   Especially when the inning runs long and the interviewer and player are struggling to still come up with something to say.   Fortunately the amazing Kevin Brown rarely has those awkward moments.   

On 6/29/2024 at 5:34 PM, SteveA said:

Here are the last 12 guys to play 250+ games with a .850 OPS or more before their 23rd birthday:

• Ken Griffey Jr
  • Alex Rodriguez
  • Albert Pujols
  • Miguel Cabrera
  • Giancarlo Stanton
  • Mike Trout
  • Bryce Harper
  • Ronald Acuna Jr
  • Vladimir Guerrero Jr
  • Fernando Tatis Jr
  • Juan Soto
  • Gunnar Henderson

This list is a mix of over- and under-rating Gunnar.

For example, Cabrera played in a more offense-heavy environment, so his .919 OPS is actually worse than Gunnar's .871. But, Cabrera came up earlier, when he was just 20, while Gunnar didn't debut until lat in his age 21 season. Griffey is somewhat similar, not with the pre-PED era timeline, but he was in the majors at the age where Gunnar was taking the year off for COVID but otherwise would have been in A ball. When ARod made his debut just shy of his 19th birthday, Gunnar was in the Gulf Coast League. But, ARod came up in a season where the AL scored 5.32 runs/game, or a full run more than today so a run in 1994 was worth just about 0.8 runs today.

Mike Trout played 652 games through his age 23 season, while Gunnar will probably end up about half that.