Kyle Stowers 2024

Jagwar

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm glad Stowers had a great game but he had an 111 wRC+ in AAA at 26 years old. Holliday has a 134 wRC+ as a 20-year-old. In a league that has terrible pitching, Stowers struck out 27% of the time and was batting .240 with an OBP of .315, he was slugging which has never been the question but still has an OPS lower than Holliday despite being 6 years older. I'd be a little guarded in the hyperbole surrounding this sample size.

All good points.  Counter to this is Stowers was buried and might have been understandably a bit distressed about it which could have affected his play.  He wouldn’t be the first that this occurred with. 

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd be a little guarded in the hyperbole surrounding this sample size.

You must be new here. 

Another week of hot hitting and there will be fantasy lineups for 2025 featuring 100% homegrown talent and debates on where he fits in said lineup every day, posts about how long he needs to be extended for and for how much and how he’s untradeable. 

• Upvote 1

I'm glad Stowers had a great game but he had a 111 wRC+ in AAA at 26 years old. Holliday has a 134 wRC+ as a 20-year-old. In a league that has terrible pitching, Stowers struck out 27% of the time and was batting .240 with an OBP of .315, he was slugging which has never been the question but still has an OPS lower than Holliday despite being 6 years older. I'd be a little guarded in the hyperbole surrounding this sample size.

If he can field a corner outfield spot and just be a viable threat in the bottom of the order, that will play with this team.  Will see what he is long term, but it's at least for the moment, refreshing to see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

All good points.  Counter to this is Stowers was buried and might have been understandably a bit distressed about it which could have affected his play.  He wouldn’t be the first that this occurred with. 

Wait, he was distressed because he was in AAA and that hampered his talent, and now that he's on the MLB team his true talent is showing up? That's a hot take.

I'm not even sure what hyperbole is, but Stowers is leading the team in batting average at .375 😉

Lets see what he has now. Everyday, vs righties and lefties. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You must be new here. 

Another week of hot hitting and there will be fantasy lineups for 2025 featuring 100% homegrown talent and debates on where he fits in said lineup every day, posts about how long he needs to be extended for and for how much and how he’s untradeable. 

I hear where you're coming from (partly tongue in cheek) but I do think Stowers is different in the fan mind than his peers in the Norfolk pipeline--being older and already having multiple chances to prove himself or not. That said, his longtime supporters will be clamoring for what you describe, while his longtime skeptics (myself included) will keep being skeptical. ;) Today, we're all happy for him!

Edited by now

Wait, he was distressed because he was in AAA and that hampered his talent, and now that he's on the MLB team his true talent is showing up? That's a hot take.

He was distressed that he was buried in AAA and wasn’t mentally locked in like he should have been.  Maybe he was anxious.  Maybe he was distressed.  Maybe he just didn’t feel appreciated and wondered if it all was worth it. Once he got to the majors he got a new attitude.  I have no idea if this is true, but players are human and their emotions affect their abilities.  Admittedly, we have never heard anything from Stowers but Norby has been quite clear about his situation feeling hopeless.  I don’t know why it would be a stretch for you to believe that would affect performance.  These guys are not automatons. 

43 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm glad Stowers had a great game but he had a 111 wRC+ in AAA at 26 years old. Holliday has a 134 wRC+ as a 20-year-old. In a league that has terrible pitching, Stowers struck out 27% of the time and was batting .240 with an OBP of .315, he was slugging which has never been the question but still has an OPS lower than Holliday despite being 6 years older. I'd be a little guarded in the hyperbole surrounding this sample size.

Stowers is a hot and cold type guy, but he can hit a little.  He seems much more comfortable this year than last.  And let’s not forget that Stowers hit decently (106 OPS+) during his 2022 call-up.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Malike said:

OH psychologists working overtime!

• Upvote 1

I don’t know why we can’t just enjoy a young player having a good game or sequence of games without instantly debating how much he should play or who he’s better than. Its OK to simply have nice things and just enjoy them for whatever they turn out to be. 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You must be new here. 

I mean you never trade a guy who just went 3-4 with 4 RBI. Unless the Pirates would move Skenes. 

28 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Stowers is OPSing .916 vs RHers. Santander is OPSing .946 vs. LHers. That could be a very nice platoon arrangement, with Santander getting some of the starts against RHers, either in the outfield or as DH.

Have to be a bit careful with this.  Santander is proven and is in his walk year.  If players sense you are screwing him by benching him after his success the last few years, that won’t go over well.