Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

I’m not concerned that Mayo will figure it out. I am concerned how long it will take. He has shown zero interest in hitting the ball the other way. Why would anyone throw him anything on the inside part of the plate.

31 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I haven't watched every inning he has played, so this is a genuine question rather than a rhetorical one:  has he thrown out anyone on a bunt attempt in the majors yet?  I know that I've seen at least two bunt singles off him so far.  

I’ve only seen one actual bunt, the one today.   He had no chance on that play so I won’t hold it against him; in fact I applaud his decision not to make a throw.  The other one was a swinging bunt that he charged and couldn’t pick up cleanly.  I am doubtful he could have gotten the runner that time, either, but the fact that he didn’t pick it up cleanly meant that we didn’t get a chance to find out.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was going say the same thing earlier.  Not even 20 AB's and the faithful have given up for now. 

Nobody is giving up but he isn’t having competitive ABs and we’re in a pennant race. 2/3 of his ABs are strikeouts and his defense is poor at 3B. 

He might need to go back down, but not after 15 at bats. That's not only not long enough of a sample size to determine whether he's "overmatched," but it's also not enough time to even give him an indication as to what he needs to work on.

Jackson got what, 40 ABs his first time around? Mayo is at 15. Give him at least twice that to expose exactly what he needs to work on.

58 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Nobody is giving up but he isn’t having competitive ABs and we’re in a pennant race. 2/3 of his ABs are strikeouts and his defense is poor at 3B. 

I'd rather see them give him another week of starting daily at 3B and DH before they send him down.  The other alternatives to replace his spot doesn't really help. 

Issue with Mayo is it’s 2024 not 2022.  Can’t afford and unfair to expect a top prospect who is sub par defensively to get a ton of play.  It would be different if he started hot and was raking but he’s not.  Time to send him back and work on a few things.  

So far Os hitting prospects have all needed to go back and reset - Cowser, Heston and Holliday.  Only Gunnar and Adley played a bunch right away due to defensive need and readiness and both did better than treading water offensively. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

25 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

He might need to go back down, but not after 15 at bats. That's not only not long enough of a sample size to determine whether he's "overmatched," but it's also not enough time to even give him an indication as to what he needs to work on.

Jackson got what, 40 ABs his first time around? Mayo is at 15. Give him at least twice that to expose exactly what he needs to work on.

Strong agree...Give him 50 AB's...even if he DH's. Give him a chance.15 at bats mean nothing.

41 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Strong agree...Give him 50 AB's...even if he DH's. Give him a chance.15 at bats mean nothing.

I won’t say they mean nothing.  Not when you’ve struck out in ten of them. But they don’t mean enough to send him down yet.  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I won’t say they mean nothing.  Not when you’ve struck out in ten of them. But they don’t mean enough to send him down yet.  

I think Holliday got 34 before they sent him back to Norfolk. I’d give mayo 35 AB’s . But the risk you take is that he goes 0-35 and k’s 22 times. That’s a little hard on the psyche. So I’d say the decision should be on the O’s staff. I have high hopes for Coby Mayo, and I really don’t want to keep the kid up here when it’s obvious that he’s not ready yet. 

42 minutes ago, theobird said:

I think Holliday got 34 before they sent him back to Norfolk. I’d give mayo 35 AB’s . But the risk you take is that he goes 0-35 and k’s 22 times. That’s a little hard on the psyche. So I’d say the decision should be on the O’s staff. I have high hopes for Coby Mayo, and I really don’t want to keep the kid up here when it’s obvious that he’s not ready yet. 

If 0-35 with 22 k’s breaks him, it was never meant to be. 

Keep sending him out there, he’ll be fine. 

• Upvote 1

No reason to blow his rookie season at this point, plus I'd like to see him play some right field at Norfolk while the season is still going. Maybe he comes back in September. I figured the reason we picked up Soto was to play third, along with Urias.

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If 0-35 with 22 k’s breaks him, it was never meant to be. 

Keep sending him out there, he’ll be fine. 

Moose, I wonder why they sent JH back after 34 AB’s? It’s just not smart to kill a young prospects psyche. I wonder how well sending JH back to work on his game has worked?