Craig Kimbrel 2024

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

You don't trust Cano but you do trust Fuji???

What I meant was I think Cano is great in  7th and 8th inning stints.  9th inning?   I don't see him as that.   Fuji I don't trust either but he had more swing and miss potential, which is key for a closer.   Obviously though he is just too wild.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Bradish and Means are coming back at the right time.  Matchup close until Suarez is rested and then give him a chance.  

This is the one silver lining since I don't think the trade market will heat up until summer. If Bradish and Means can be in the rotation and be effective then that means Irvin and Suarez are now in the bullpen.

Tyler Wells too if he mananges to come off the IL soon enough.

3 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yeah if we need to make a trade then I am all for that.   I was strictly talking in house options.

Miller was perhaps the best relief pitcher I have ever seen in his time with the O's.  Almost completely untouchable.  I cringed when the O's never made an attempt to resign him.   I said  the same about Nelson Cruz and got crucified for that.

I'd rather have Mountcastle now than Cruz then.

52 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not just the closer.

You also have a pen full of guys with not overwhelming stuff, when that is the standard.  You also don't have much in the way of guys with options so it's harder to rotate guys in and out to limit wear.

It kind of is that way throughout the entire organization.   I see a lot of teams with youngsters on the farm and on the parent club that can throw upwards of 96 to 100.  We really don't have much of that.  For sure the one weakness we have on an organizational basis. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd rather have Mountcastle now than Cruz then.

I mean they are very similar.   Both very good players.  But Cruz back then to me...always had that 'it' factor.  He was just a clutch player.

When the O's could have resigned him I said he is a MUST sign.   Especially for what turned out to be a bargain basement price for what he did the next 5 years.  One of the single worst moves the O's have made since 2000 in not trying to resign him. 

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I mean they are very similar.   Both very good players.  But Cruz back then to me...always had that 'it' factor.  He was just a clutch player.

When the O's could have resigned him I said he is a MUST sign.   Especially for what turned out to be a bargain basement price for what he did the next 5 years.  One of the single worst moves the O's have made since 2000 in not trying to resign him. 

The 2015 team finished .500, It is highly unlikely that Cruz alone would have been enough to even secure the WC.

The 2016 team he may have been a difference maker.

The 2017 team went 75-87, Cruz ain't saving that.

The 2018 team would have traded him.

I'd rather have the seven years of Mountcastle.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

The 2015 team finished .500, It is highly unlikely that Cruz alone would have been enough to even secure the WC.

I am not really sure why you are making this comparison between Cruz and Mounty? Ryan didn't play for the O's until 2020 and plays a different position.  I am lost here.  Cruz was gone after 2014.  It is like me comparing Ryan Mountcastle with Miguel Tejada.  It makes no sense. 

With Cruz.....If you can sign difference makers for reasonable contracts....you do it.

Cruz was a difference maker.  As he proved the rest of his career after he left the O's. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yeah if we need to make a trade then I am all for that.   I was strictly talking in house options.

Miller was perhaps the best relief pitcher I have ever seen in his time with the O's.  Almost completely untouchable.  I cringed when the O's never made an attempt to resign him.   I said  the same about Nelson Cruz and got crucified for that.

If we can wait till Oakland is out of the playoff race, maybe we can get Mason Miller. Was hoping I would at least get to see him pitch live today after Kimbrel blew the save, but they didn’t trot him out in the bottom of the 9th. Found that peculiar.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Nelson Cruz had a 5.0 WAR in 2015. The Orioles DH Jimmy Paredes had a 0.2 WAR in 2015.

The AL Wild Card team was the Yankees with 87 wins.

So, uh, close?

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

I am not really sure why you are making this comparison between Cruz and Mounty? Ryan didn't play for the O's until 2020 and plays a different position.  I am lost here.  Cruz was gone after 2014.  It is like me comparing Ryan Mountcastle with Miguel Tejada.  It makes no sense. 

With Cruz.....If you can sign difference makers for reasonable contracts....you do it.

Cruz was a difference maker.  As he proved the rest of his career after he left the O's. 

You don't know the connection between Cruz and Mountcastle?

Think about it for a few and get back with me.

As for being a difference maker, I know Cruz cost the Rangers a WS.  Remind me again how often he went to the playoffs with the Mariners?

1 minute ago, Orioles Jim said:

Nelson Cruz had a 5.0 WAR in 2015. The Orioles DH Jimmy Paredes had a 0.2 WAR in 2015.

The AL Wild Card team was the Yankees with 87 wins.

So, uh, close?

For what ever reason CoC hated Cruz back then and he apparently still does. I remember being mystified by it.   I never understood it then, and I still don't.  :)