Craig Kimbrel 2024

2 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It was a 1 run ball game based on the MLB timeline story I just watched. 1 run is not low leverage.

It was fairly early in the game and the bottom of the lineup. Basically as low as you could get for a one run game. A good spot for Kimbrel to have success and contribute to the win. Nicely played by Hyde IMO. 

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

Except the Leverage Index was 0.35, which, by definition is in fact low. 

Whatever man….you don’t bring a struggling reliever with a 1 run lead in the 7th to build his confidence.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

It was fairly early in the game and the bottom of the lineup. Basically as low as you could get for a one run game. A good spot for Kimbrel to have success and contribute to the win. Nicely played by Hyde IMO. 

Ketel Marte was up in that inning, he's their best hitter and already had 1 HR in a game. It may have seemed like low leverage, but the way he's been pitching and the potential for Marte to tie the game or give them a lead was real.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Ketel Marte was up in that inning, he's their best hitter and already had 1 HR in a game. It may have seemed like low leverage, but the way he's been pitching and the potential for Marte to tie the game or give them a lead was real.

I was suggesting it was mediumish leverage. I agree it wasn't low, but it was also far from max. Thankfully it got to Marte with two down and the bases empty. 

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I was suggesting it was mediumish leverage. I agree it wasn't low, but it was also far from max. Thankfully it got to Marte with two down and the bases empty. 

It still would have been a nail-biter if it were the 9th with the way he's been pitching. There was some hard contact too but he got out of it.

Pro. Like I’ve been saying… he’s a reliever and he’s been pitching a baseball his whole life. So it could be some simple mechanical fix or pitch grip. He’s throwing 94. That’s not changing. He’s going to have to continue to find ways to get guys out and adjust to the league.

He might not consume all the 60 saves our bullpen is on pace to get, but at $13 million he can still be on our A side of the pen. Somewhere in the 7-9 inning range. 

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It was a 1 run ball game based on the MLB timeline story I just watched. 1 run is not low leverage.

You are right. My mistake. I thought they brought him into a 4-2 game. 

The Leverage Index increases to Medium in that scenario. 

1 run games can be low- leverage by definition of the Leverage Index. 

• 2 weeks later...

Six straight scoreless appearances from Kimbrel. Over that span batters are 0/16 with 7 K and one baserunner on a HBP. 

Looking good. Though he can thank Cowser tonight for keeping that recent record spotless. 

• Upvote 3

Kimbrel’s getting a lot of save chances.   In addition to his 12 saves and 3 blown saves, there were two other games where he was brought in for the save but Hyde had to pull the plug on him.  In one, Cano bailed him out and got the save.   In the other, Akin allowed the tying run that Kimbrel had put on base to score, so Akin rather than Kimbrel got the blown save even though Kimbrel was really the one who created the situation.  The O’s won that game anyway but it took three extra innings and a lot of drama.  

So really, Kimbrel’s had 17 chances to earn a save, and converted 12.   Not very good, but he seems to have emerged from his rough patch and hopefully will be effective for a while.  

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kimbrel’s getting a lot of save chances.   In addition to his 12 saves and 3 blown saves, there were two other games where he was brought in for the save but Hyde had to pull the plug on him.  In one, Cano bailed him out and got the save.   In the other, Akin allowed the tying run that Kimbrel had put on base to score, so Akin rather than Kimbrel got the blown save even though Kimbrel was really the one who created the situation.  The O’s won that game anyway but it took three extra innings and a lot of drama.  

So really, Kimbrel’s had 17 chances to earn a save, and converted 12.   Not very good, but he seems to have emerged from his rough patch and hopefully will be effective for a while.  

I'm still not convinced. In fact, I'm wary. On Saturday night he gave up a ball that shouldve been a HR, but Cowser saved the day.... had we not had a 2 run lead, the game would've been tied. Even yesterday, one ball was hit hard to RF but it was tracked by Cowser again. I get that closers will falter and no one is perfect, but at age 36 and a recent track record of lots of blown saves...I still think Kimbrel is far from a lock.In fact, he continues to make me nervous EVERY time he goes out there.And remember, I saw him blow up a lot last year in LA.