Dean Kremer 2024

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I was told in the offseason that we couldn’t lose Kremer. He was too good and too valuable. 

He is what he is. He has been a #3 in many statistical categories the last few years but the peripherals don’t love hiM and show those numbers to be something he is unlikely to sustain. 

We couldn't lose Kremer not because he's too good but because we don't have the pitching depth to replace him.  If we had better pitching prospects in the minors, then Kremer is definitely expendable.

Yeah, I said in another thread those walks to Varsho last night ahead of Guerrero were really just unforgivable.  Both lead to needing to pitch to Guerrero in a bad spot.

And obviously he's not trying to walk Varsho there but IIRC both ball 4s were pretty bad misses.  The command just isn't there this year.

Like webbrick I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's hurt.

Just now, Otter said:

We couldn't lose Kremer not because he's too good but because we don't have the pitching depth to replace him.  If we had better pitching prospects in the minors, then Kremer is definitely expendable.

In the offseason, I had a suggestion that we try to include Kremer in a Cease/Kopech deal. I was told by some that we couldn’t include Kremer because he was just as good or at least close. 

Kremer is fine but acting like he’s irreplaceable is a stretch. If he can pitch better down the stretch and get his ERA to more respectable level, I would consider trading him in the offseason depending on what else we do with the rotation.

29 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, I said in another thread those walks to Varsho last night ahead of Guerrero were really just unforgivable.  Both lead to needing to pitch to Guerrero in a bad spot.

And obviously he's not trying to walk Varsho there but IIRC both ball 4s were pretty bad misses.  The command just isn't there this year.

Like webbrick I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he's hurt.

"It's ok, we can get out of this if he makes good pitches to Vla--"

image.png.ba119dc9c7fe809a581310d7340eeb5f.png

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Big Mac said:

He has been a disappointment this year but I would be shocked if he is non-tendered.  You don't just give away a viable, cheap rotation piece for nothing. 

The O's can try to trade him before non-tendering him, but if nobody wants him they should just cut bait.  He isn't a viable starter for a playoff team.  The O's need to get out of the mindset that they need to hoard mediocre players just because they are still under team control.  The standards are higher now and they need to pursue upgrades.  

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

The O's can try to trade him before non-tendering him, but if nobody wants him they should just cut bait.  He isn't a viable starter for a playoff team.  The O's need to get out of the mindset that they need to hoard mediocre players just because they are still under team control.  The standards are higher now and they need to pursue upgrades.  

Okay, then if they can go into next season with 5 better SP options than him he can be optioned to the minors for depth.   How many teams in baseball have 5 better starting pitchers than Dean Kremer?

5 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

In the offseason, I had a suggestion that we try to include Kremer in a Cease/Kopech deal. I was told by some that we couldn’t include Kremer because he was just as good or at least close. 

Kremer is fine but acting like he’s irreplaceable is a stretch. If he can pitch better down the stretch and get his ERA to more respectable level, I would consider trading him in the offseason depending on what else we do with the rotation.

Yeah, I definitely remember that.  So, Kremer should throw a no hitter any day now.

4 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I'd bet money Dean isn't quite right physically right now. His command is way off compared to the way he usually pitches. He actually has good stuff.

Have we seen anything from Elias or Hyde that would make you think they'd run a pitcher out there that wasn't right?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

He’s gonna make what, $2 mm maybe?   They will tender him a contract almost certainly.  

Edited by Frobby

4 hours ago, gtman55 said:

I'd bet money Dean isn't quite right physically right now. His command is way off compared to the way he usually pitches. He actually has good stuff.

Maybe he needs another blister like in April when he was throwing well.  Kidding. I kinda agree with your assessment of not being 100%.

6 hours ago, Say O! said:

Maybe he needs another blister like in April when he was throwing well.  Kidding. I kinda agree with your assessment of not being 100%.

I wonder if it isn’t an injury, but an adjustment he’s trying to make to avoid more blisters. Maybe he’s trying to use a different grip on some of his pitches, or he’s using something on his hand that’s causing the ball to slip out a little bit. Just a thought. 

12 hours ago, Big Mac said:

Okay, then if they can go into next season with 5 better SP options than him he can be optioned to the minors for depth.   How many teams in baseball have 5 better starting pitchers than Dean Kremer?

Does he have any options?