Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

I went to game this evening in Charlotte and he was very impressive looked in complete control.  Fastball sat low 90s think I saw few 94 but mostly 91-93 but held it throughout outing.  It looked to be playing up because the off speed stuff had them so off balance.  He had very good command with the off speed stuff getting good amount of swings and misses.  The windup looked a lot more compact and tighter then I remember in the past which should help with command more in future.  The only question I saw was how the fastball will play at the major league level especially days he doesn’t have as good of command of secondaries.  I got a little Steve Avery feel from him with windup and decent fastball with excellent curve and changeup.  

• Upvote 4

Kinda bizarre start in that Povich only got 3 whiffs and all were out of the zone. 100% z-contact rate. But with 19 called strikes! Don’t know what to make of that really, but considering the rates that Povich has punched guys out his whole minor league career I’m less concerned about that. Only 1 BB and a bunch of called strikes is a good sign for him. 

Great start and no walks is encouraging but I don’t see how someone with a 90-92 mph fastball and, generally, not plus command is going to survive in the big leagues.  

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Great start and no walks is encouraging but I don’t see how someone with a 90-92 mph fastball and, generally, not plus command is going to survive in the big leagues.  

Cole Irvin?

3 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Cole Irvin?

Ha.  Apparently Povich’s stuff grades well but I don’t see it.  Irvin is a scarey comp but maybe not as crazy as it first sounded.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ha.  Apparently Povich’s stuff grades well but I don’t see it.  Irvin is a scarey comp but maybe not as crazy as it first sounded.

Wade Miley, Braxton Garrett, Kyle Hendrickson, Jose Quintana...  a ton of solid #3-4 type LHP who barely touch 90 MPH.  

And I think Povich spins it better than most too.  His level of success will be highly correlated to his command.