Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

4 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

Internet Billy Beane,  you're so wrong it's beyond the point of pathetic.   Povich is proving you wrong. Several times.  

As for the rest of your drivel, the meltdown is beautiful.  You don't know squat, that's for certain with every reply.  

Holt & Ramsey > internet Billy Beane.  

Tell me what I’m wrong about.

In MLB, the average str% is 63.8%. You were lauding him because up until the last 4 batters, he was at 60%…and that was with him likely getting hitters to swing at pitches that MLers won’t.

So, yea that’s not great. He can’t win and pitch well at that level of throwing strikes.

So, tell me where I’m wrong. You think he will be a successful ML starter throwing strikes at a below average rate?

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In MLB, the average str% is 63.8%. You were lauding him because up until the last 4 batters, he was at 60%…and that was with him likely getting hitters to swing at pitches that MLers won’t.

So, yea that’s not great. He can’t win and pitch well at that level of throwing strikes.

So, tell me where I’m wrong. You think he will be a successful ML starter throwing strikes at a below average rate?

Did you watch any of the game?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I already have.  

I wasn't lauding him.  I added context to his really good outing, it's this simple. Click here for assistance.  You bypass 4 days rest in April, first front/back starts of a series of the season and where he was at a certain point in the game.  Late in the outing.   I acknowledge 55% won't cut it.  60% will though, throwing Tuesday/Sunday, IN APRIL.

There isn't a AAA pitching coach, minor league pitching director & MLB pitching coach that wouldn't take those results in week one.  

You're really struggling with the basics.  

• Haha 1

Just now, HuskerFan said:

I already have.  

I wasn't lauding him.  I added context to his really good outing, it's this simple. Click here for assistance.  You bypass 4 days rest in April, first front/back starts of a series of the season and where he was at a certain point in the game.  Late in the outing.   I acknowledge 55% won't cut it.  60% will though, throwing Tuesday/Sunday, IN APRIL.

There isn't a AAA pitching coach, minor league pitching director & MLB pitching coach that wouldn't take those results in week one.  

You're really struggling with the basics.  

And you’re really struggling with my actual argument.  

I never said he pitched bad. I never said to not be happy about it. All I said is that he has to throw more strikes.  But since you are so completely over the top about him, you can’t take any level of critique that isn’t over the top praise.

I don’t care about the context. I don’t care about any of the over the top bs you are trying to make up. 

I prefer McDermott. In his first start, he didn’t let up any runs and only allowed a few hits and struck out 6..but I was critical of the walks and lack of strikes.

I don’t give 2 fooks that it’s early. Not throwing strikes isn’t a good thing. It doesn’t mean there aren’t reasons for it. Bad weather, poor umpiring, etc…for any given start, these things are factors but this is an issue that has plagued him. This is an issue he needs to correct and throwing strikes at this poor of a rate isn’t good and pointing that out is fine to do. Acting like it’s some damning thing to say is ridiculously stupid. 

8 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Kinda weird getting into an argument based on one piece of a box score

It’s a pretty important piece and I’m not really arguing. I can’t help it that a grown man is obsessed with a young man to the point that any level of negativity is meant by some irrational ranting.

Pointing out that he needs to throw more strikes isn’t exactly some brilliant observation. I would assume everyone with any level of intelligence would acknowledge that to be something he needs to do..especially someone like Povich that has had problems with that in his career.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s a pretty important piece and I’m not really arguing.

image.thumb.png.f5c2043997e7d0070393db5c823e7b4e.png

Demanding to have the last word is actually an argument.

And it is over a difference of 6 pitches, over the course of 5+ innings.

The guy is trending in the right direction. That isn't really debatable. Hopefully it continues, because we will probably need him at some point this year, and definitely next.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

image.thumb.png.f5c2043997e7d0070393db5c823e7b4e.png

Demanding to have the last word is actually an argument.

And it is over a difference of 6 pitches, over the course of 5+ innings.

The guy is trending in the right direction. That isn't really debatable. Hopefully it continues, because we will probably need him at some point this year, and definitely next.

What is the difference of 6 pitches?

8 more strikes would put him at ML average for str%.  And yea, that’s a big difference. 8 more strikes and maybe he is able to get more outs and use the pen less. 

And it’s definitely debatable if he’s trending in the right direction. I tend to believe he is and will get better but it’s over the top to say that’s not debatable. There is plenty of evidence to debate it.

On 4/4/2024 at 9:00 AM, Tony-OH said:

This is the most important piece to Povich. He needs to show he can do this consistently. I've seen Great, good, eh, and terrible Povich and too often that's over 4 starts. 

image.thumb.png.8c5318cb07cb4f9d210c4df0f1fc0989.png

While his WHIFF rate was low, he threw a lot of strikes and didn't get hit hard with an 83.8 MP EV. That tells me that while he didn't miss bats, batters also aren't barreling him very often either. He had a 50% GB rate which is better than he's had in the past. 

Again, I'm not thrilled with 100% zcontact, but at least it was soft contact.

Where can we find this? Do you have it for yesterday's start?

Wow, way to spend two pages arguing over what was essentially a very good outing.   Yes, you’d like to see fewer walks, more strikes, fewer pitches.   But overall I’m very happy with 5 innings, 5 baserunners, 1 run, 9 strikeouts.   That’s especially good when you consider he’s pitching on 4 days’ rest against the same opponent twice in one week.    

The main thing I’ve wanted to see from Povich is more consistency.   He started to show a bit more towards the end of 2023 and this is a nice start to 2024.

Looks like he got a little tired at the end, allowing a walk and a single in the 6th inning before getting pulled.   That’s fine, it’s early in the year.   Something to work on as the year progresses, along with throwing more strikes.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Where can we find this? Do you have it for yesterday's start?

On Baseball Savant, go to Gamefeed on the menu, then choose the date you want (in this cases, April 7).  At the top you’ll see “13 MLB games” and there are dots under “MLB.”  Click there and it allows you to choose AAA instead.   Do that, scroll down to the Tides game and “click to open.”  Then, right below the banner with the score, click the rectangle that says “scoreboard.”  A menu pops up and you choose “player breakdowns.”   That’s where you’ll find this information.   Whew!

• Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.61168f9af0c360e50e1f98df0bb1ae0a.png

47% WHIFF rate is outstanding but even more important is the 61% zcontact which means he was getting swings and misses in the zone. 

Definitely could see a drop in velocity by about 75 pitches. Was down to 90-91 MPH in the 6th inning after sitting 92-94 most of the game.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

image.thumb.png.61168f9af0c360e50e1f98df0bb1ae0a.png

47% WHIFF rate is outstanding but even more important is the 61% zcontact which means he was getting swings and misses in the zone. 

Definitely could see a drop in velocity by about 75 pitches. Was down to 90-91 MPH in the 6th inning after sitting 92-94 most of the game.

Love to see the WHiFF rate, especially after it wasn’t good in the first game.  Of course, that hasn’t been his issue in his career, so it’s not like it was something alarming.