Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

23 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

It plays.  60% plays.  61% plays.  65% plays. 

Your inability to understand what that means isn't a surprise, Box Score Billy.

Give me recent examples of starting pitchers that are consistently successful with str% that low…obviously you know this is true because of how factual you are acting here..so let’s see some examples.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Life would be a lot better if you and Sports Guy stopped the name calling and just focused on the substance.  

Povich has thrown 61.9% strikes this year.  Major league average is 63.9%.  I do think ABS factors in because, per Ump Scorecard, major league umps call 12% of true balls as strikes, but only 3% of true strikes as balls.  So major league umps are more favorable to pitchers than an accurate strike zone would be.  

Povich’s 3.9 BB/9 is below the Intrrnational Lesgue average of 4.7, and at the median of the top 100 pitchers in the league per BB-ref.

Overall, command is still something for Povich to work on, but he’s made good strides and is excelling in all other areas.  

Don’t bash him!!!  

6 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m assuming Frobby is the guy in the middle, Husker is the left handed creature and SportsGuy is the creature with the big mouth?

Guy in the red shirt is pretty much my doppelganger, literally.  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But it’s your context!!!!!!  And your context was a complete bs lie.

The context stands.  The math was an honest mistake.  It's no surprise Billy Boxscore, and his below room temperature IQ, doesn't understand.

2 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

Guy in the red shirt is pretty much my doppelganger, literally.  

The context stands.  The math was an honest mistake.  It's no surprise Billy Boxscore, and his below room temperature IQ, doesn't understand.

How does the context stand?  Your whole point is that everything is fine because the str%
was good and instead it was below average.

I don’t believe that it was an “honest” mistake. You have zero credibility.

Posted (edited)

My username stinks, but I've had it for 20 years so I just stick with it. Still, I'd like to change it to Bill Boxscore if SG doesn't take dibs.

[Edit: Frobby posted Str%, so I'm good.]

Edited by LookinUp
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Give me recent examples of starting pitchers that are consistently successful with str% that low…obviously you know this is true because of how factual you are acting here..so let’s see some examples.

At present, there are 126 pitchers who’ve thrown enough innings to qualify so far.   

Top 25%: 66.1% strikes or better

Median: 64.0% strikes

Bottom 25%: 62.0% or worse.  

Here’s the bottom quartile of the list:

image.thumb.png.c4e299f4f044887426ffffeca80d0da9.png

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

At present, there are 126 pitchers who’ve thrown enough innings to qualify so far.   

Top 25%: 66.1% strikes or better

Median: 64.0% strikes

Bottom 25%: 62.0% or worse.  

Here’s the bottom quartile of the list:

image.thumb.png.c4e299f4f044887426ffffeca80d0da9.png

So this is just the SSS of this season?

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Scroll back a page, @Frobby has some details.  

65% is #34 overall in MLB, better than any O's SP. 

61% is #78 overall in MLB.  

60% is t #79 overall in MLB.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/player-stat/strike-pct

Edited by HuskerFan

1 minute ago, HuskerFan said:

Scroll back a page, @Frobby has some details.  

65% is #34 overall in MLB, better than any O's SP. 

61% is #78 overall in MLB.  

60% is t #79 overall in MLB.

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/player-stat/strike-pct

Frobby had details that show an incredibly sss. I have never said you can’t get by with a poor str% in any one start or group of starts.

I point out str% all the time and the other day. GRod had a 53% str% but still had good results.

However, over the course of one’s career and one’s full season, if you struggle to throw strikes, you will struggle overall.

There are always exceptions to the rule but there is zero about that take that is controversial and zero about it that’s wrong.

you can cry about it all you want but this is a pitcher whose whole pro career has been hurt by control and command issues. 

The good news is that it appears to be improving but it’s not close to being at a level where he would be a successful ML pitcher on any kind of a consistent basis.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Frobby had details that show an incredibly sss. I have never said you can’t get by with a poor str% in any one start or group of starts.

I point out str% all the time and the other day. GRod had a 53% str% but still had good results.

However, over the course of one’s career and one’s full season, if you struggle to throw strikes, you will struggle overall.

There are always exceptions to the rule but there is zero about that take that is controversial and zero about it that’s wrong.

you can cry about it all you want but this is a pitcher whose whole pro career has been hurt by control and command issues. 

The good news is that it appears to be improving but it’s not close to being at a level where he would be a successful ML pitcher on any kind of a consistent basis.

😂

65% is T #30 in 2023.  Better than any Orioles SP.

61% is #48 in 2023.  4th best of any Orioles SP.

60% is #50 in 2023.  Ditto to 61%.

"Whose whole pro career", my goodness Billy.  

1 hour ago, HuskerFan said:

It absolutely counts.  Context is something the idiot leaves out, every single time.  

We don't name call here. Feel free to disagree, but take personal beefs off the site.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

We don't name call here. Feel free to disagree, but take personal beefs off the site.

Stupid & ignorant are okay, but idiot isn't. 

10/4 Tony, message received.  

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

😂

65% is T #30 in 2023.  Better than any Orioles SP.

61% is #48 in 2023.  4th best of any Orioles SP.

60% is #50 in 2023.  Ditto to 61%.

"Whose whole pro career", my goodness Billy.  

Yes..whole career.  We are talking about how someone can perform at this level, correct?

Now, you provided something worth discussing.

Blake Snell has made an excellent pro career with poor str% numbers.

He is an exception to the rule for sure. (aJ Burnett is probably another guy)

Do you think Povich has the stuff and ability to be what Snell has been?

And btw, the numbers you are showing are for qualified players only.  That makes it a little misleading when you say 50th.  50th is actually at or near the bottom of qualified starters.  That isn’t good, just so you know. (We have already proven that math isn’t your strong point here)

Edited by Sports Guy

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Life would be a lot better if you and Sports Guy stopped the name calling and just focused on the substance.  

Povich has thrown 61.9% strikes this year.  Major league average is 63.9%.  I do think ABS factors in because, per Ump Scorecard, major league umps call 12% of true balls as strikes, but only 3% of true strikes as balls.  So major league umps are more favorable to pitchers than an accurate strike zone would be.  

Povich’s 3.9 BB/9 is below the Intrrnational Lesgue average of 4.7, and at the median of the top 100 pitchers in the league per BB-ref.

Overall, command is still something for Povich to work on, but he’s made good strides and is excelling in all other areas.  

Great advice and information. It's clear Povich has made strides in the areas where we had hope to see him make those strides. He's zoomed ahead as the organization's top pitching prospect and really their only legitimate upper level starting pitching prospect.

Povich gets a ton of strikes looking, and that speaks to the quality of stuff. I love the fact that they let him get out 98 pitches already which tells me his pitch count was 100.

It's hard not to like what we've seen so far from this young man.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes..whole career.  We are talking about how someone can perform at this level, correct?

Now, you provided something worth discussing.

Blake Snell has made an excellent pro career with poor str% numbers.

He is an exception to the rule for sure. (aJ Burnett is probably another guy)

Do you think Povich has the stuff and ability to be what Snell has been?

And btw, the numbers you are showing are for qualified players only.  That makes it a little misleading when you say 50th.  50th is actually at or near the bottom of qualified starters.  That isn’t good, just so you know. (We have already proven that math isn’t your strong point here)

😂😂😂😂😂