Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

43 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

That's what it looked like to me as well.  Good observation.  

25 total foul balls against, 11 with 2 strikes.  That's quite a bit in 4.2 innings.

Allowing that many 2 strike foul balls against AAA hitters is an issue, not an excuse.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Allowing that many 2 strike foul balls against AAA hitters is an issue, not an excuse.

6 of the 11 were against Yuli Gurriel, not your typical "AAA hitter".  Keep that small fact out though.  Without your stuff, it's a non-issue.  

4 2/3 innings, 3 hits (all singles in the 2nd; exit velos of 84.6, 106.3, 72.8), 1 run, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts.  On a day without stuff.  Ya, I'm quite positive all involved will take that - except the Billy Beane crew of the world wide web.  

• Haha 1

I’d see this glass as 3/4 full.  4.2 IP of 1-run, 3-hit, 7-K ball is good.   You’d like him to get deeper on 94 pitches than 4.2 innings.  But, I’m glad they let him come out for the 5th and get to 94 pitches for the first time this year.   And, despite being at his highest pitch count of the year, he got the two outs in the 5th without incident.   

And remembering my past critique that Povich was highly inconsistent from outing to outing last year, this makes 5 straight good outings for Povich.  You can find things to improve upon, but that’s real improvement over last year.  I do hope to see him get to the point where he can throw 6+ innings semi-regularly.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d see this glass as 3/4 full.  4.2 IP of 1-run, 3-hit, 7-K ball is good.   You’d like him to get deeper on 94 pitches than 4.2 innings.  But, I’m glad they let him come out for the 5th and get to 94 pitches for the first time this year.   And, despite being at his highest pitch count of the year, he got the two outs in the 5th without incident.   

And remembering my past critique that Povich was highly inconsistent from outing to outing last year, this makes 5 straight good outings for Povich.  You can find things to improve upon, but that’s real improvement over last year.  I do hope to see him get to the point where he can throw 6+ innings semi-regularly.  

Yeah there's no real way to view Povich as anything but an improvement on last season so far. He used to ping pong back and forth between good start and bad start, and he's just not doing that right now, which is great. The overall body of work right now is very good. I think he's definitely the next man up if we need a starter, as long as he lines up. 

To date, in 5 starts: 26.1 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 10 BB, 40 K’s, 1.03 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 13.7 K/9, 4.0 K/BB.   That’s a truly outstanding month of April.   Another month remotely similar to that and people will be clamoring to bring him to the majors.  Like I said, really the only thing he hasn’t done yet is get through 6 IP semi-regularly, but then again, this is the first time this year they let Povich exceed 86 pitches.   So, decent chance he can hit 6 IP a few times in May now that they’ll let him go 90+.   

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To date, in 5 starts: 26.1 IP, 10 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 10 BB, 40 K’s, 1.03 ERA, 0.76 WHIP, 13.7 K/9, 4.0 K/BB.   That’s a truly outstanding month of April.   Another month remotely similar to that and people will be clamoring to bring him to the majors.  Like I said, really the only thing he hasn’t done yet is get through 6 IP semi-regularly, but then again, this is the first time this year they let Povich exceed 86 pitches.   So, decent chance he can hit 6 IP a few times in May now that they’ll let him go 90+.   

It would be fantastic if Povich can step up and be effective. With the nature of starting pitching in today's game you need more than five guys you can rely on as starters over the course of a season.

Bradish, Means and Povich could potentially negate the need to trade for a starting pitcher and allow Elias to focus on getting a high end reliever.

12 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

One watchpoint is Povich doesn’t really hold his velocity very well late in games - he averages about 93 mph in the first inning and about 91 mph in the sixth inning.

Kremer was 93 in the 1st against the Angels.  He was 91 in the 6th.  Irvin's velo drops as well as dang near every other SP, minus the elite, up in pitch count.

Today was Povich's lowest FB velo average for the 2024 season though. 

1 hour ago, HuskerFan said:

Kremer was 93 in the 1st against the Angels.  He was 91 in the 6th.  Irvin's velo drops as well as dang near every other SP, minus the elite, up in pitch count.

Kremer can hit 97 when he wants it. 

Just now, baltfan said:

Kremer can hit 97 when he wants it. 

The point wasn't to diminish Kremer, or to question his velo or anyone elses.  There are a lot of SP's all across MLB that don't hold their velocity, regardless if they can hit 97 or top out at 93.  The elite hold it, majority don't. 

1 hour ago, HuskerFan said:

I take the point in the general, but Kremer’s average 1st inning velo was 94.3 over 2022-2023 and his avg 6th inning velo was 94.5.  Irvin averaged 91.1 in the 1st and 91.0 in the 6th.

• Upvote 1