Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

6 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

The point wasn't to diminish Kremer, or to question his velo or anyone elses.  There are a lot of SP's all across MLB that don't hold their velocity, regardless if they can hit 97 or top out at 93.  The elite hold it, majority don't. 

I think your are underplaying Kramer’s ability to hold his velocity and his velocity in general.  However, Povich is left handed and there are lots of very successful lefties that don’t have the avg velocity of Kremer.  I definitely am excited by Povich. 

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

I take the point in the general, but Kremer’s average 1st inning velo was 94.3 over 2022-2023 and his avg 6th inning velo was 94.5.  Irvin averaged 91.1 in the 1st and 91.0 in the 6th.

It's early 2024.  Velos will jump as the season progresses.  It hasn't happened yet this season, unknown to me as a prospect.  

Edited by HuskerFan

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

I think your are underplaying Kramer’s ability to hold his velocity and his velocity in general.  However, Povich is left handed and there are lots of very successful lefties that don’t have the avg velocity of Kremer.  I definitely am excited by Povich. 

No, I'm not underplaying anything.  I pointed out 1 game for Kremer, just like the guy I responded to did with Povich.   Folks are looking for something more in my response, which isn't there.  

Edited by HuskerFan

14 hours ago, HuskerFan said:

The point wasn't to diminish Kremer, or to question his velo or anyone elses.  There are a lot of SP's all across MLB that don't hold their velocity, regardless if they can hit 97 or top out at 93.  The elite hold it, majority don't. 

Most quality major league starter's hold their velocity throughout their starts. They may cruise for a bit, but have it when they want it. Typically command goes long before velocity.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Povich arguably had his “worst” outing of the year, and allowed 1 ER in 6 IP today.  I say “worst” because he allowed 5 hits and 4 walks and only struck out 5.  If that’s what passes for a bad day this year, I’ll take it!

Not sure a pitcher technically can get “squeezed” by the automated strike zone but Povich had a number of borderline pitches tonight that could go the other way.  Handley was visibility perturbed by a few of the calls on walks and Povich doubled over in disbelief on a couple of walk calls.

He reminds me a little of Tom Glavine how he throws, his wind up, how he hides the ball and how it explodes out his hand….sort of effortless.

I heard the announcer for the Sound say Povich’s curveball hasn’t had a hit against it all year long and every other pitch is around .100 batting avg against.  In person, his fastball has a lot more giddy up than the radar shows.  98 pitches tonight and looks like he has a rubber arm.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Povich arguably had his “worst” outing of the year, and allowed 1 ER in 6 IP today.  I say “worst” because he allowed 5 hits and 4 walks and only struck out 5.  If that’s what passes for a bad day this year, I’ll take it!

Str% still not where you want it to be but the results are good despite that.

Lack of strikes thrown will obviously be an issue in the majors but he is making tremendous progress and it’s great to see that the “bad outings” are still good outings right now.  

4 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

😂  Mr. Boxscore strikes again. 

65% thru 5 complete.  12-21 in the 6th. 

Ok, let’s try not to be stupid(I’m pretty sure you can accomplish this). Answer one simple question.  (And way to be ignorant and not acknowledge the rest of what I said, not that I would expect any different since you are clearly in love with Povich or something)

If you don’t consistently throw strikes, do you think you can succeed in the majors as a starting pitcher?

Edited by Sports Guy

8 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

Not sure a pitcher technically can get “squeezed” by the automated strike zone but Povich had a number of borderline pitches tonight that could go the other way.  Handley was visibility perturbed by a few of the calls on walks and Povich doubled over in disbelief on a couple of walk calls.

Our winter neighbor came over last night to watch & commented about the ABS as well.  He won a couple rings and pitched 12+ years in the show.  

We're at the coffee shop right now for breakfast & I read your comments to him.  He agree with you on the Glavine comp & also said a comp for today's pitcher is Max Fried.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Ok, let’s try not to be stupid(I’m pretty sure you can accomplish this). Answer one simple question.  (And way to be ignorant and not acknowledge the rest of what I said, not that I would expect any different since you are clearly in love with Povich or something)

If you don’t consistently throw strikes, do you think you can succeed in the majors as a starting pitcher?

65% thru 5 innings plays. Period. The only one with ignorance is you.  

• Downvote 1

Just now, HuskerFan said:

65% thru 5 innings plays. Period. The only one with ignorance is you.  

1) you didn’t answer my question..predictably.

2) All that shows is that he wears down as the game goes on, which is something we have discussed as a potential issue.

But sure, the 65% is a good sign.

If you had the ability to not be a complete dbag about him, you would see that people aren’t bashing him but any single comment that is a negative against him, you fly off the handle like some unhinged  college student.

12 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

😂  Mr. Boxscore strikes again. 

65% thru 5 complete.  12-21 in the 6th. 

Does the 6th inning not count?   

Anyway, your math is wrong.  He threw 59 of 98 pitches for strikes.  You say he was 12-21 in the 6th.  That makes him 47 of 77 through 5.   That’s 61%, not 65%.

But anyway, you’re picking one negative sentence in @Sports Guy’s post, when mostly he’s posting something positive.   Seems like you’re just looking to pick a fight, and/or overly defensive about any criticism of Povich, no matter how mild.   

For me, if I were to grade Povich’s progress this year compared to my expectations, I’d probably give him a 9.9 out of 10.   Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t work on the 0.1.   

I wanted to see him going 6+ innings pretty regularly as a next step in his progression.  Well, there’s one.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Does the 6th inning not count?   

Anyway, your math is wrong.  He threw 59 of 98 pitches for strikes.  You say he was 12-21 in the 6th.  That makes him 47 of 77 through 5.   That’s 61%, not 65%.

But anyway, you’re picking one negative sentence in @Sports Guy’s post, when mostly he’s posting something positive.   Seems like you’re just looking to pick a fight, and/or overly defensive about any criticism of Povich, no matter how mild.   

For me, if I were to grade Povich’s progress this year compared to my expectations, I’d probably give him a 9.9 out of 10.   Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t work on the 0.1.   

I wanted to see him going 6+ innings pretty regularly as a next step in his progression.  Well, there’s one.  

I think it means it was 12 balls and 9 strikes in the 6th inning and then the math would work out.

Of course, that assumes he’s right/being honest about what it what through 5 IP.