Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

32 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

Anyone have access to the ABS results from tonight's game?  It seems like there was a total of 10 or 11 challenges between the two teams with 6 or 7 of them overturned.  Jen Pawol was really bad tonight.  Angel Hernandez bad, no joke. 

She was absolutely horrendous. I've never seen so many challenges in one game. Some of them were so bad that I can't even believe it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Curious if the strikeouts were due to higher velocity- what were the pitch speeds? 

Povich always has been a high strikeout guy despite solid but not outstanding velocity.  Yesterday his FB averaged 92 and topped out at 94.   https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/gamefeed?date=2024-04-19&chartType=pitch&legendType=pitchName&playerType=pitcher&inning=&count=&pitchHand=&batSide=&descFilter=&ptFilter=&resultFilter=&hf=playerBreakdown&sportId=11

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

I think the good news is he will have at least 2 more starts in the minor leagues with how Irvin and Suarez just pitched. Very promising start. He actually reminds me a bit of tonight’s starter Detmers. 

On 4/19/2024 at 7:46 PM, HuskerFan said:

Anyone have access to the ABS results from tonight's game?  It seems like there was a total of 10 or 11 challenges between the two teams with 6 or 7 of them overturned.  Jen Pawol was really bad tonight.  Angel Hernandez bad, no joke. 

I looked all over and there is no official database of challenges and success rates.

The Jacksonville broadcasters mentioned earlier in the week that the MILB umpiring supervisor was in Jacksonville last week.  Jen Pawol is the umpire that threw out the Britton and Burdick on the 16th because everyone on the field and watching didn't realize she called Burdick out on a check swing strike 3 while the 1st base umpire did not wait for her signal to call the play a no swing...

For the game on 19th where she was back behind the dish I reviewed the game using the 10 second jump feature and was able to catch all 14 Challenges.  Challenges went from the 1st inning all the way to the 9th inning.  10 of the challenges were by Norfolk.  8 were successful in getting overturned while 2 were not.  Because your challenge doesn't go away when right... the Tide kept challenging.  Handley specifically had 6 challenges and only 1 was wrong on a high ball he challenged while catching.  He challenged one called ball during a throw down to 2nd that was overturned to a K and then batter struck out on next pitch.  I believe he had was called out twice on called 3rd strikes and challenged them both.  On one he challenged and was taking his gear off while walking to 1st for the BB.  It was overturned and he took his walk.  The 2nd was on a 2-2 count so it was overturned and he got to 3-2.  By this time, the crowd was livid with every challenge.  Handley was HBP that PA.  Johnson had a big challenge that also resulted in a walk which was followed by a hit and run double scoring him from first. 

The Jumbo Shrimp challenged 3 and lost all three and then tried for a 4th challenge that couldn't even happen because they were down to 0 at that point.

In my research I read that in MLB the call rate has increased 11% in accuracy since the league started tracking.  Near 92.4% accuracy now.  The 10 retiring umpires were replaced by new umpires that were more accurate.

In Jen Powal's case... I think she is under a microscope but at the same time... she is not good.  

From a news article during spring training, "Jen Pawol is one step closer to becoming Major League Baseball's first female umpire. Pawol has been named a Triple-A crew chief for the upcoming season and is on MLB's call-up list, reports Newsday. Triple-A umpires are called up throughout the season when MLB umpires are injured or on vacation."

I think Hernandez is the only one looking forward to that day.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've seen so many pitchers come up and stink in my lifetime after superb AAA performances. It's nice that he's succeeding but I wouldn't want to depend on him quite yet. 

I don't think anyone is depending on him. I don't think anyone has "depended on" a AAA starter prospect, other than Grayson, in recent memory.

But he is looking like the guy from the organization most likely to be able to give us some starts this season, which we will probably need at some point.

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I've seen so many pitchers come up and stink in my lifetime after superb AAA performances. It's nice that he's succeeding but I wouldn't want to depend on him quite yet. 

Considering that Irvin and Suarez just threw two of the best starts of the year and some or all of Bradish, Means, and Wells are due back soon, I don’t think we’ll see Mr. Povich for some time.

53 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Considering that Irvin and Suarez just threw two of the best starts of the year and some or all of Bradish, Means, and Wells are due back soon, I don’t think we’ll see Mr. Povich for some time.

How about you give a confidence ranking & ratings (1-10) for those 5 guys to be reliable, productive starters.

I would probably put Irvin a clear #1 of the 5, with a confidence level of about 6 out of 10

Just now, DirtyBird said:

How about you give a confidence ranking & ratings (1-10) for those 5 guys to be reliable, productive starters.

I would probably put Irvin a clear #1 of the 5, with a confidence level of about 6 out of 10

I’ll leave the player evaluations to you since it’s your specialty.  I just gave reasons why I don’t think we see Povich anytime soon.