Colton Cowser 2024

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Unless he ran into Eloy rounding third!

I was surprised they didn’t pinch run for Eloy as if it was just a base hit he might not score and he was the tying run.  Mountcastle is faster and injury to his wrist but I guess then you have to worry about him having to hit later in game.  Could pinch hit McCann for him if you needed to I guess.  

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Kid hustles, plays a damn fine CF, and can do some damage from time to time with the bat. Halving a solid rookie campaign and may even win ROY (hopefully!). 

Betting odds at fox sports and Vegas insiders has him between -550 and -650 in the last 2-3 days. I am 1000000% not a gambler, but Googling betting odds translation says that implies about an 85% odds. Gil going on the IL certainly doesn’t hurt. 

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I was surprised they didn’t pinch run for Eloy as if it was just a base hit he might not score and he was the tying run.  Mountcastle is faster and injury to his wrist but I guess then you have to worry about him having to hit later in game.  Could pinch hit McCann for him if you needed to I guess.  

Teams used to bring speedy pitchers to run in those situations where the sub was another slow guy, but I guess those days are over.

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

Teams used to bring speedy pitchers to run in those situations where the sub was another slow guy, but I guess those days are over.

I remember a couple of times they did that with Jeremy Guthrie. A relic of the past now, though, for sure.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Yeah, definitely haven't seen that in while.  And with our luck, our pitcher would pull a hamstring running the bases...

Watching Cowboy is a thesis in major league development. His on going adjustment to major league pitching. His growth in the outfield. Sure, he can frustrate at times but that is part of the process. What he does have all the time is hustle and a clear love of the game. I hope he has a long career and peaks as a perennial star. I think he has the makings! Kid is easy to root for.

Ftom MLB.com:

In MLB.com’s latest Rookie of the Year poll, a very tight race between two first-year phenoms is developing in the National League. Meanwhile, there appears to be one player separating himself from the pack in the American League.

A panel of 30 MLB.com experts cast their ballots, with rookies receiving vote points on a 5-4-3-2-1 scale -- five points for a first-place vote, four points for a second-place vote and so on. Here are the results.

All stats updated through Sunday.

American League

1. Colton Cowser, Orioles (17 first-place votes)

Cowser could be the Orioles’ eighth Rookie of the Year with a strong finish to this season. He would follow in the footsteps of teammate and fellow LEGO fan Gunnar Henderson, who took home the award last season. The 2004-05 A’s are the most recent AL club to have back-to-back Rookie of the Year winners (Bobby Crosby, Huston Street).

The 24-year-old Cowser, who leads AL rookies with 19 home runs, has typically batted leadoff for the O's since July 28 and has produced a .274/.325/.460 slash line with 10 extra-base hits in 28 games since. He has done stellar work on defense as well, amassing 10 outs above average. That is the most among AL rookies and ranks tied for seventh among all outfielders.

[2nd place is Luis Gil despite only 2 first place votes; Mason Miller is 3rd and has 9 first place vores]

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ftom MLB.com:

In MLB.com’s latest Rookie of the Year poll, a very tight race between two first-year phenoms is developing in the National League. Meanwhile, there appears to be one player separating himself from the pack in the American League.

A panel of 30 MLB.com experts cast their ballots, with rookies receiving vote points on a 5-4-3-2-1 scale -- five points for a first-place vote, four points for a second-place vote and so on. Here are the results.

American League

Cowser could be the Orioles’ eighth Rookie of the Year with a strong finish to this season. He would follow in the footsteps of teammate and fellow LEGO fan Gunnar Henderson, who took home the award last season. The 2004-05 A’s are the most recent AL club to have back-to-back Rookie of the Year winners (Bobby Crosby, Huston Street).

The 24-year-old Cowser, who leads AL rookies with 19 home runs, has typically batted leadoff for the O's since July 28 and has produced a .274/.325/.460 slash line with 10 extra-base hits in 28 games since. He has done stellar work on defense as well, amassing 10 outs above average. That is the most among AL rookies and ranks tied for seventh among all outfielders.

[2nd place is Luis Gil despite only 2 first place votes; Mason Miller is 3rd and has 9 first place vores]

He is far and away the betting favorite as well, at between -550 to -670. If I was a betting man, I would throw a little cash at Mason Miller, whose odds are as long as +5000.

It has been an extremely weak year for rookies in the AL. I'm not sure Cowser would even be top 5 in the NL. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Ftom MLB.com:

American League

I'm still not understanding how Mason Miller gets talked about in the ROY conversation. His bref page says he exceeded Rookie limits last year. Can he even win?

2 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm still not understanding how Mason Miller gets talked about in the ROY conversation. His bref page says he exceeded Rookie limits last year. Can he even win?

I think his BB-ref is simply mistaken.  The 45-day threshold doesn’t include time on the injured list.  Therefore, even though Miller earned 166 days of service time last year (which otherwise would far exceed rookie limits), he was only on the active roster for 45 days, and the rule is you have to exceed 45 days on the active roster.

Luis Gil had more than a full year of service time coming into 2024, but less than 45 days on the active roster due to injuries.

• Upvote 1