Questions that need to be answered during the 2024 season

wildcard

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd like to see Basallo at Catcher.

That bat at catcher is a potential MVP candidate.

If he can actually catch, yes. Has anyone outside the organization watched him closely enough to judge his defense?

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

What do you do with Rutschman?

Depends on when you are talking about.

If you want Basallo up this year, that would be difficult and even I would question the timeline.

If you want him up next year, he splits time with Rutschman and they both DH and maybe play a little 1B depending on how the roster shakes out.

Basallo being adequate at Catcher allows you to move on from Rutschman for the 2026 season if you want.  Two seasons of Prime Rutsch should bring back a ton.  Or you could keep having the two of them splitting time.

I have no issue at all with Adley catching 90 games and Basallo (should he prove capable) catching 72.  I also don't fear losing the DH for a few at bats a season.

• Upvote 1

Cowser - Is he an everyday player or a platoon player?  I think he is a platoon hitter, not starting against lefties and maybe certain righties, for the time being.  That could change later this year or next but it remains to be seen.  I suspect the Orioles see him as a corner outfielder but who will get some time in center as needed.  

Westburg - Good chance he'll become the everyday 3B for awhile but for how long?  

Mayo - Can his glove play in the infield or is he better off in the outfield?  Or is he mainly a DH?

Kjerstad/Stowers/Norby - Will there be room for any of these guys on the O's this season?  We know they all can hit, but do they have the glove to stick on a team that emphasizes defense and already has some good bats where these guys would play?  

It feels like 2 of these 6 guys need to be traded -- unless veterans are traded/cut instead.

Who among these guys would, say, the Marlins insist on for Luzardo?  Would they take Norby and/or Stowers or would they insist on at least one of Cowser/Mayo/Kjerstad plus one of McDermott/Povich/Johnson plus ____ (fill in the blank).  

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Will the Orioles offer reasonable team friendly extensions to Gunnar, Holliday, or Adley, and will they accept? 

It would be nice if they could offer them this offseason and then make make plans about the future of the franchise based on that.  Likely will only make financial sense to extend one of Gunnar and Holliday and I believe both are represented by Boras, so expect no hometown discount.  I'm thinking either one of Gunnar/Holliday would be looking for a Witt type extension, although Holliday should be cheaper. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2024 at 12:13 PM, Roll Tide said:

Who cares ….. Mountcastle is borderline horrible when he’s slumping. You’re not going to pay him at contract time. And an average defensive 1B would be enough anyway. Trade him for value and bring up one of the guys who will be better IMO from AAA. 

Funny what 10 days can do our thinking. I'm as per my previous posts a Mountcatsle detractor. Where are you at now?