Brandon Hyde 2024

I liked late in the game last night when the Sox brought in the lefty and Hyde stuck with Cowser and Holliday. I really expected him to PH Hays or Mateo in one of those spots, but I'm glad he didn't because Cowser would go on to nuke one in extras. And I liked showing confidence in Holliday there. He is not here to platoon with Mateo... at least not yet. 

Also - the challenge of the double play in the 7th was pretty savvy. Not only because you get the freebie crew chief challenge starting in the 8th, but I also feel like it planted the seed for the ump on the non-out at 2B prior to Tony's home run. 

I also liked the fakeout PH in the other game that he tricked Cora with. 

We saw some of this last year when Schneider of the Jays couldn't manage his way out of a cardboard box and Hyde was just on top of everything. We may get mildly frustrated with Hyde at times but man, he is a very good and underrated tactical manager out there. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, interloper said:

I liked late in the game last night when the Sox brought in the lefty and Hyde stuck with Cowser and Holliday. I really expected him to PH Hays or Mateo in one of those spots, but I'm glad he didn't because Cowser would go on to nuke one in extras. And I liked showing confidence in Holliday there. He is not here to platoon with Mateo... at least not yet. 

Also - the challenge of the double play in the 7th was pretty savvy. Not only because you get the freebie crew chief challenge starting in the 8th, but I also feel like it planted the seed for the ump on the non-out at 2B prior to Tony's home run. 

I also liked the fakeout PH in the other game that he tricked Cora with. 

We saw some of this last year when Schneider of the Jays couldn't manage his way out of a cardboard box and Hyde was just on top of everything. We may get mildly frustrated with Hyde at times but man, he is a very good and underrated tactical manager out there. 

Agree 100%, in the past I have not liked some of the 'automatic' lefty/righty matchup decisions, and was impressed at the restraint in this game. Also Cora screwed up by allowing McGuire to get ejected (I'm assuming he didn't tell everyone to be careful after he used up his bench players in the 7th)... seems like something Hyde would have been on top of.

I am generally not a manager second-guesser, but I really thought Hyde left Kremer out to dry on a night when he CLEARLY didn’t have it.  I was in my car during the 3rd/4th innings and just cursing at Hyde every time another baserunner reached during the 4rh.  Honestly, it could have been worse than it was, with Adames’ 385 foot, 109 mph fly out to start the 2nd inning, along with Kremer’s narrow escape with the bases loaded later in the inning.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am generally not a manager second-guesser, but I really thought Hyde left Kremer out to dry on a night when he CLEARLY didn’t have it.  I was in my car during the 3rd/4th innings and just cursing at Hyde every time another baserunner reached during the 4rh.  Honestly, it could have been worse than it was, with Adames’ 385 foot, 109 mph fly out to start the 2nd inning, along with Kremer’s narrow escape with the bases loaded later in the inning.   

The pen was already short from the night before.  They also don’t have a ton of guys with options so it’s hard to shuttle guys back and forth from Norfolk. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

What data are you using to say "he clearly didn't have it"? Did you see Mateo's error, the two soft contact bloops singles, and the ump missed third strike call in the third inning? Kremer should have been up 5-2 with 2 outs in the 4th. He did get hit hard in the 4th but most managers are going to give their starter a chance to get through that situation at 85 pitches. 

56 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What data are you using to say "he clearly didn't have it"? Did you see Mateo's error, the two soft contact bloops singles, and the ump missed third strike call in the third inning? Kremer should have been up 5-2 with 2 outs in the 4th. He did get hit hard in the 4th but most managers are going to give their starter a chance to get through that situation at 85 pitches. 

Admittedly, I didn’t see the 3rd/4th innings, as I said in my post.  

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Hays pinch hitting for Cowser? What were you thinking, Hyde? Seriously, did you think Hays had a better chance of a hit than Cowser? Oh, and now you don't have Cowser the rest of the game. 

it was for o'hearn

There was a lot of complaining about his bullpen management today, but I thought it was fine this time. Coulombe and Webb just didn't execute. Not his fault. PHing Hays for O'Hearn was brain-dead though.

Just now, dystopia said:

There was a lot of complaining about his bullpen management today, but I thought it was fine this time. Coulombe and Webb just didn't execute. Not his fault. PHing Hays for O'Hearn was brain-dead though.

It's only brain-dead if you actually believe Austin Hays is a .073 hitter now. He's going to hit eventually, and he'll keep getting chances to prove it even if it's as a platoon/PH guy. That and Hyde wants Hays glove in the outfield in the late innings of a close game over O'hearn, who is pretty limited out there. 

It's fair to question why O'hearn is in RF to begin with, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that unless it starts becoming a regular thing. 

3 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

It's only brain-dead if you actually believe Austin Hays is a .073 hitter now. He's going to hit eventually, and he'll keep getting chances to prove it even if it's as a platoon/PH guy. That and Hyde wants Hays glove in the outfield in the late innings of a close game over O'hearn, who is pretty limited out there. 

It's fair to question why O'hearn is in RF to begin with, but I wouldn't be too concerned about that unless it starts becoming a regular thing. 

I like winning. Hays PHing for O'Hearn is not a winning move. Luckily it didn't matter, but if we lost that game that's one of those moves you give the stink eye.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I like winning. Hays PHing for O'Hearn is not a winning move. Luckily it didn't matter, but if we lost that game that's one of those moves you give the stink eye.

I think it's, at worst, a perfectly defensible move by Hyde. Hays' poor start to the season is the only factor that would put it in a questionable light. Hyde was playing the splits and getting a big defensive upgrade at the same time (Admittedly, O'hearn in RF was self-inflicted, but I'm looking at this PH decision in a vacuum).

Debatable? Yes

Brain-dead? No way

28 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Hays pinch hitting for Cowser? What were you thinking, Hyde? Seriously, did you think Hays had a better chance of a hit than Cowser? Oh, and now you don't have Cowser the rest of the game. 

Never happened

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think it's, at worst, a perfectly defensible move by Hyde. Hays' poor start to the season is the only factor that would put it in a questionable light. Hyde was playing the splits and getting a big defensive upgrade at the same time (Admittedly, O'hearn in RF was self-inflicted, but I'm looking at this PH decision in a vacuum).

Debatable? Yes

Brain-dead? No way

Strongly disagree. Hays' struggles date back to last year.