Brandon Hyde 2024

8 minutes ago, dystopia said:

I like winning. Hays PHing for O'Hearn is not a winning move. Luckily it didn't matter, but if we lost that game that's one of those moves you give the stink eye.

Why is taking out a guy who has a career .541 OPS vs LH, and batting a guy with a career .767 vs LH for him, who is also a FAR better defender, not a "winning move"?

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why is taking out a guy who has a career .541 OPS vs LH, and batting a guy with a career .767 vs LH for him, who is also a FAR better defender, not a "winning move"?

Because one hitter is red hot and the other is hitting like dog poop. Who cares about their career numbers? Let the hot hitter hit. 

Guarantee this board would have had a cow (no pun intended) if Hays PH for Cowser during that Boston series. Not much difference here.

24 minutes ago, dystopia said:

There was a lot of complaining about his bullpen management today, but I thought it was fine this time. Coulombe and Webb just didn't execute. Not his fault. PHing Hays for O'Hearn was brain-dead though.

I agree. I have zero issues with disagreeing with Hyde's bullpen management, but Coulombe was scarily off to start that next inning and Webb didn't looked warmed up right. I hope Coulombe is ok. Hyde made the right move when he took out Suarez too. He typically goes down quick near 70 pitches.

My only beef tonight was I wanted Tate instead of Webb, mostly because there was a guy on base and I would have liked Tate's ground ball there. If the plan was to lift Suarez after a baserunner, I'd have Tate warming up. But maybe Hyde was staying away from Tate today for whatever reason, who knows. 

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, we all know Hays is scuffling, but we also know O'Hearn doesn't hit lefties well and Hays improves the defense. It was the right move. If Hyde is not going to make that move there, Hays doesn't belong on this team. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. I have zero issues with disagreeing with Hyde's bullpen management, but Coulombe was scarily off to start that next inning and Webb didn't looked warmed up right. I hope Coulombe is ok.

Yeah, that was weird with Coulombe.  4 non competitive ??  Fastballs.   I’ve never seen him look like that.

4 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Guarantee this board would have had a cow (no pun intended) if Hays PH for Cowser during that Boston series. Not much difference here.

Yes, because Hays for Cowser wouldn't be a noticeable defensive upgrade. Not the same.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, we all know Hays is scuffling, but we also know O'Hearn doesn't hit lefties well and Hays improves the defense. It was the right move. If Hyde is not going to make that move there, Hays doesn't belong on this team. 

Yep, 100%. That is the one sensible time to use Hays right now, it was a fine move. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

My only beef tonight was I wanted Tate instead of Webb, mostly because there was a guy on base and I would have liked Tate's ground ball there. If the plan was to lift Suarez after a baserunner, I'd have Tate warming up. But maybe Hyde was staying away from Tate today for whatever reason, who knows. 

Webb hadn't pitch in awhile and prior to today, he'd been sharp. Webb had better XWOBA numbers than Tate, so I can get it though I would not have been upset if Tate was used there.

My thoughts on managerial decisions today:

• O'Hearn in RF:   don't like it.   Only way it is acceptable if there was a legitimate [health] reason to have Santander DH today.   Are they trying to keep him under 100 or 120 games in the OF this year, for some reason?
  • Pinch hitting Hays for O'Hearn vs LH reliever:  the right move.
  • Taking Suarez out with 2 outs in the 6th:  close call.   There were 2 lefties in the next 3 batters, a great spot to use Coulombe.   We had already gotten more than we could reasonable expect from Suarez.   But his pitch count wasn't at danger levels yet.  I can go either way.
  • Bringing in Cano for the 8th, after Akin had recorded one out in the 7th.  Don't like it.    Yes, there were 2/3 RH hitters due.   But committing to Cano(8) and Kimbrel(9) would mean going into extra innings with basically just Dillon Tate (or the two guys that threw a lot of pitches last night).   The game was 2-2, extra innings was a strong possibility.   I would have tried to use a combination of Akin and Cano for the 8th and 9th, maybe getting Akin through the next left in the order at least.   Then Kimbrel for the 10th, and we wouldn't be down to our last viable option until the 11th.   Though this decision worked out well.   I would have tried to get more out of Akin.   At the time Cano came in, I actually typed a post in the game thread saying I felt it was not the right move, but I was busy at work too and forgot to hit send.
  • I might have pinch run Mateo for Mounty in the 9th when he got on with one out.  Chance to steal and score on a single, or better chance to score all the way from first on a double.   We would have had to use Urias or McCann at 1B in extra innings.   But I'll take a chance on that if I think it improves my chances of ending the game in 9.   Now Mounty is actually a pretty good baserunner, so I can see the argument for keeping him in.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm close to thinking that he doesn't. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

And that would be the only issue here? Lol

You're the one who created the silly hypothetical. I'm telling you why it's a bad hypothetical. It's not remotely the same situation.

The rest of your argument has been sufficiently torn apart above.