Brandon Hyde 2024

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

My only beef tonight was I wanted Tate instead of Webb, mostly because there was a guy on base and I would have liked Tate's ground ball there. If the plan was to lift Suarez after a baserunner, I'd have Tate warming up. But maybe Hyde was staying away from Tate today for whatever reason, who knows. 

Suarez wasn't lifted for Webb.   Coulombe was.   Suarez was probably always going to come out for Coulombe when that L-R-L portion of the order came up.   If Suarez hadn't hit the batter and had had a 1-2-3 6th, Coulombe would have been on to start the 7th.

When I looked at the bullpen rest before the game, it was obvious that Webb was going to see the mound today.   He was by far the most rested guy in the bullpen, a 9 pitch outing Sunday being his only action in the last 4 days.   So I wasn't surprised to see him in.

Tate threw 21 pitches Monday, so not quite as rested.

So I think the plan was that Coulombe would relieve Suarez when there was a lefty heavy portion of the order.   And when it was time to go back to a rigthy, the more rested Webb would be the choice over Tate.   Cano/Kimbrel would be 8th/9th if we were winning or tied, probably Akin/Tate if we were losing.   And if we hadn't won it in 9, we would have seen Tate in the 10th most likely, really with no one behind him if the game went multiple extra innings.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:
  • I might have pinch run Mateo for Mounty in the 9th when he got on with one out.  Chance to steal and score on a single, or better chance to score all the way from first on a double.   We would have had to use Urias or McCann at 1B in extra innings.   But I'll take a chance on that if I think it improves my chances of ending the game in 9.   Now Mounty is actually a pretty good baserunner, so I can see the argument for keeping him in.

I thought about that during the game, but then I thought:
1) With the 1st baseman holding Mountcastle, it opens up a big hole on the right side for the left-handed hitting Mullins.
2) Mateo only has 1 SB this year and those thing tend come in bunches because the players is getting lots of looks and has the timing down of pitchers.
3) Only two batters have run against Jeffers this year in 8 games and he's thrown out 50%
4) Mountcastle is not a slow runner when on the go

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I thought about that during the game, but then I thought:
1) With the 1st baseman holding Mountcastle, it opens up a big hole on the right side for the left-handed hitting Mullins.
2) Mateo only has 1 SB this year and those thing tend come in bunches because the players is getting lots of looks and has the timing down of pitchers.
3) Only two batters have run against Jeffers this year in 8 games and he's thrown out 50%
4) Mountcastle is not a slow runner when on the go

And then if it goes to extras your 1B is... Urias I guess?

Just now, interloper said:

And then if it goes to extras your 1B is... Urias I guess?

Yes, Urias would have to be that guy and then you only have McCann to come in and pitch if Tate can no longer go if you were in the 12 inning or soemthing.

5 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

You're the one who created the silly hypothetical. I'm telling you why it's a bad hypothetical. It's not remotely the same situation.

The rest of your argument has been sufficiently torn apart above.

No it wasn't. My argument was to play the hot hand. Nobody has explained why I should care about O'Hearn's OPS against lefties 3 years ago in KC when he's knocking the cover off the ball right now. Hays is not currently hit anyone, leftie or rightie.

Tony -- if you don't like something in my post why don't you just edit it out so I don't have to repost everything else?

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

No it wasn't. My argument was to play the hot hand. Nobody has explained why I should care about O'Hearn's OPS against lefties 3 years ago in KC when he's knocking the cover off the ball right now. Hays is not currently hit anyone, leftie or rightie.

Tony -- if you don't like something in my post why don't you just edit it out so I don't have to repost everything else?

Austin Hays OPS this year against LHP .133

Ryan O'Hearn OPS this year against LHP .000

:D

Just now, dystopia said:

Did anyone seriously think Hays had a better chance of getting a hit than O'Hearn in that situation given how each one has been hitting? If you say yes you're lying.

Nope, but it's a good spot to give Hays an AB and get him in for defense. We knew it would go down this way going in.