Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

You can't help, but think could the Tides lineup do better when the offense struggles like it did today. Nevertheless, I don't want to see Baumann in late innings and high leverage situations unless there is no other option out of the bullpen.

But see... even though you started with a question about offensive options, you turned it around into a bullpen failure.

A bullpen can only do so much when the offense totally mucks up the game.  

Just now, Jagwar said:

But see... even though you started with a question about offensive options, you turned it around into a bullpen failure.

A bullpen can only do so much when the offense totally mucks up the game.  

I'd rather go with someone like Coulombe than trust Baumann to convert an extra innings save. Two things can be true the offense struggled and Hyde went with the wrong reliever in the tenth inning.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'd rather go with someone like Coulombe than trust Baumann to convert an extra innings save. Two things can be true the offense struggled and Hyde went with the wrong reliever in the tenth inning.

I think you’re correct.  I think Hyde sees the potential in Baumann to be a high leverage guy and showed confidence in him and it backfired.   We were fortunate not to lose the game in the 10th as a result of Baumann’s poor outing.

10 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

They had Connor Joe leadings off, a RHB who hits 100 points better vs LHP. He homered off Coulombe last year.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

They had Connor Joe leadings off, a RHB who hits 100 points better vs LHP. He homered off Coulombe last year.

This bullpen needs another reliable arm. I think Elias is going to make a trade at some point and maybe Tyler Wells could end up back in the bullpen if Means and Bradish get healthy.

With the three batter rule you're going to have to pick your poison at times unless you have dominant arm.

42 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This bullpen needs another reliable arm. I think Elias is going to make a trade at some point and maybe Tyler Wells could end up back in the bullpen if Means and Bradish get healthy.

With the three batter rule you're going to have to pick your poison at times unless you have dominant arm.

Agreed. More of a roster issue than a Hyde issue. Kimbrel and Cano aren't enough. I still like Wells in the bullpen if we can get Means or Bradish back. 

• Upvote 1

I don't agree with the decision to use Baumann in the 10th but I'm also not going to pile on because Brandon Hyde really did make some other good managing moves. He does the double switch moves when we lose the DH all the time and he might be one of the best managers in MLB at doing that. He knows the rules better than the umpires, just like we witnessed in the Pirates series Game 2 on Saturday.

Someone in the game thread said Baumann was used alot in the 10th inning in 2023. I honestly don't remember, but I do know Mike was pretty good coming in with runners on bases for the early part of 2023. So maybe Hyde still had his mind stuck in 2023 when it comes to the way he thought of Baumann. But after Baumann melt down at the end of the season, I look at him and 2024 totally differently. He's still got to make his own story for the 2024 season and right now I'm not trusting him in high leverage situations until he proves himself all over again. He just didn't have any command over his pitches in this appearance. He gave me Fujinami nightmares because it was exactly the same.

With all that said, I still believe Brandon Hyde is one of the best managers in the game. He's human. So we've learned.

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. More of a roster issue than a Hyde issue. Kimbrel and Cano aren't enough. I still like Wells in the bullpen if we can get Means or Bradish back. 

I like the idea of those guys moving into the bullpen and getting Bradish and Means back. But with that said, all the news about pitchers this week has me nervous. It's got me thinking we might not be able to rely on that ambition, and we might need to get some more talent to stash in Norfolk, just in case...

On the bright side, I watch every O's game believing we can win. Oh, how many years we couldn't say that. Tonight's game is definitely on the offense. We are just too streaky and they all seem to be on the same streak together. Look at the first two games of the year and the games since. It's like the Rangers series. The bats went silent and they had been silent for several games before then. I know it's not all Hyde's decision, but I believe he had some input on who is at Norfolk and who is on our 26 man. The relief pitching is what it is, considering we are missing three of our pitchers: Bautisita, Means and Bradish. We just gotta hold it together till we get two of those back and move Wells and Irvin to the pen. 

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Albert Suarez and maybe Wandisson Charles.  Charles has to prove he can throw strikes, otherwise he’s just another Baumann.   But Suarez is a strike thrower with 96-97 and multiple pitches.   He went 6 shutout in relief tonight but he might never even be needed as a starter, especially with Means close to coming back.   Means probably pushes Irvin to the pen.  If and when Bradish comes back, Wells would be another welcome addition to the pen.

Suarez is the reason Norfolk has 1 loss.  

Baumann had a very good spring and it stands to reason that Hyde was going to give him some chances early in the year to show that he’s turned the corner, just like Hyde has done with Akin.   Unfortunately, what we saw yesterday was vintage Baumann.   But this is how you find out about your team in the first part of the season.  Baumann’s going to get more chances, but maybe not too many.  

• Upvote 2

It's hard to get on the manager when he's using all he was given. He has to manage that days game with the next one in mind. Most of the BP pitchers do not have options and so far they're not willing to lose any of them. Pitching as a whole was always going to the biggest problem considering the injuries to Bradish and Means.

8 hours ago, oldfan said:

It should have been Baumann to start the nineth, with no one on to keep it tied, and Kimbrel to save it in the tenth.

Isn’t that what everyone blamed Buck for leaving your best reliever out in the pen.  You go with your best guys because if not they might not pitch.  Baumann has been pretty good in late extras or close games before (you don’t go 11-1 as a reliever unless you shut down the other teams in close games) which is why he went with him yesterday.