Brandon Hyde 2024

1 minute ago, Warehouse said:

IMO, the mistake was starting McCann in the first place.  You shouldn’t start a player you need to pinch hit for in the 5th against the starting pitcher.

Neither Adley nor McCann did anything today even though they both have good career numbers against Ragans.

It’s not his fault whatsoever that this team can’t do anything in the clutch, but hard to see his seat not being warm if they lose tomorrow. KC has 1 good position player. They finished 5 GB of the O’s in the regular season and are nowhere close talent wise. 

4 playoff games so far in the Hyde era. 0-4, 2 blowout losses. 2 runs or less in 3 of the 4 games. They were a combined 16 games ahead of the two teams in the regular season. Again, it’s not his fault they can’t hit with RISP. But the results matter. And the results have been horrific so far. 0-4 isn’t good enough regardless of who they have played. 0-5 and 2 sweeps is indefensible. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Lots to chew on.  For me the big mistake was not pinch hitting for McCann with first and third and one out.   

The game thread didn't like pitching to Witt, but I don't see how you can IBB a guy in a tie game. You have to believe your offense can score a run but you don't wabut then nt to create a situation where you have to score 3 or 4.

I agree with you on McCann in the 5th.  If you aren't going to pinch hit then try a squeeze play.

Not pinch running for O'Hearn didn't make sense at first but we would have had no one left to play 1B and we needed Holliday to come in for defense if Kjerstad got on

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

I did not like going after Witt. 

That said it’s on the players. It’s that simple. They need to step up and get the job done. 

They'll look great again the first half of next season then fall back into their usual slump. If they make the playoffs, a sweep of course.

3 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Hyde can only do so much. Players sometimes just don't have capability to produce in big games, we have a lot of those players, unfortunately. 

I don't think it's about not performing in big games.  I think it's more about the Orioles being a team that hasn't played very well for 3 months.  

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

I don't think it's about not performing in big games.  I think it's more about the Orioles being a team that hasn't played very well for 3 months.  

Right. Been awful with RISP for so long. And their stats in high leverage situations are abysmal. Compare those numbers to last year and it’s night and day. 

Just now, EddeeEddee said:

It's the same thing as last year's playoffs though.

5 minutes ago, MDK02 said:

Hyde can only do so much. Players sometimes just don't have capability to produce in big games, we have a lot of those players, unfortunately. 

If you were told at the start of the season that the Orioles would go 42-46 in their last 88 games and then get swept in the playoffs by an 86 win KCR team, what would you say? The injuries affect that record but they were still much worse than to be expected.

At the end of the day, results matter. Getting swept 2 straight years in the playoffs as the higher seed and favorite isn’t acceptable. Hyde can’t make them hit in clutch situations, but he better hope they do tomorrow. 

13 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Lots to chew on.  For me the big mistake was not pinch hitting for McCann with first and third and one out.   

If Adley is so bad at controlling the running game that he isn't the starting catcher and he hit .207 post ASB, why is he even in the game at all? McCann has been a much better catcher and hitter than Adley post ASB.