Brandon Hyde 2024

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Did it ever once occur to you that maybe one reason O'Hearn is hot is because he is being used by Hyde in situations where he can excel... vs RH pitchers.   Maybe the fact that 98% of his plate appearances have come vs righties is PART of the reason he is hot.

Using him almost exclusively vs RH is working, and it is working damn well.   Maybe it would be a bad idea to change it.

What part of “I am not inherently against platooning” did you not understand? 

If you think O’Hearn batting against a lefty will cause the earth to collapse on itself, then use Urias as a PH. At least he has shown signs of life lately. Then sub Hays in for defense. 

39 minutes ago, dystopia said:

What part of “I am not inherently against platooning” did you not understand? 

If you think O’Hearn batting against a lefty will cause the earth to collapse on itself, then use Urias as a PH. At least he has shown signs of life lately. Then sub Hays in for defense. 

Then you have no one to PH for Holliday vs a LHP in extras.

1 hour ago, dystopia said:

Well then he's lost the plot. My original argument was to stick with a hot bat over a matchup using a PH who is currently the worst qualified hitter in the league.

Honestly, I could see the decision either way.  O’Hearn is a hot hitter historically vulnerable to lefties.   Hays historically hits lefties well but has been as cold as you can get.  He’s a significant defensive upgrade to O’Hearn for the rest of the game.  So what do you do?

If my only concern was to maximize the chance to win today’s game, I’d probably stick with O’Hearn, for a reason not mentioned yet.  This was the leadoff batter in the 7th inning, and if anyone gets on base the next three innings, that means the batter will get one more AB after the one in the 7th inning, and decent chance that AB will be against a RHP.   So, that favors leaving O’Hearn in.

At the same time, I don’t believe that maximizing the chance to win this game was the only consideration.  Simply put, Hyde wants to keep Hays involved in things, and wants to give him opportunities to break out of his slump.  And that’s important for the long term benefit of the team.  

So, as I see it, it’s a close call, and I wouldn’t criticize Hyde either way.  We won the game so I’m certainly not going to obsess about it.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Then you have no one to PH for Holliday vs a LHP in extras.

You'd have Mateo. I'd prefer to save him for pinch-running though. 

Of course, I'd have just let O'Hearn hit. My suggestion was just for those who think the world would end if O'Hearn batted against a LHP. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, I could see the decision either way.  O’Hearn is a hot hitter historically vulnerable to lefties.   Hays historically hits lefties well but has been as cold as you can get.  He’s a significant defensive upgrade to O’Hearn for the rest of the game.  So what do you do?

If my only concern was to maximize the chance to win today’s game, I’d probably stick with O’Hearn, for a reason not mentioned yet.  This was the leadoff batter in the 7th inning, and if anyone gets on base the next three innings, that means the batter will get one more AB after the one in the 7th inning, and decent chance that AB will be against a RHP.   So, that favors leaving O’Hearn in.

At the same time, I don’t believe that maximizing the chance to win this game was the only consideration.  Simply put, Hyde wants to keep Hays involved in things, and wants to give him opportunities to break out of his slump.  And that’s important for the long term benefit of the team.  

So, as I see it, it’s a close call, and I wouldn’t criticize Hyde either way.  We won the game so I’m certainly not going to obsess about it.  

Finally, some reasonable thinking in this thread...

10 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Of course, I'd have just let O'Hearn hit. My suggestion was just for those who think the world would end if O'Hearn batted against a LHP. 

Consider that one of the reasons O'Hearn is "hot" is because Hyde has wisely kept him on a strict plaatoon

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Where are you getting this "world would end" shtick?   I said I felt Hays was the correct move, nothing more.   On the other hand, I think the most drastic "world ending" came from people who opposed the move and said it was horrible.   If any side in this argument was using hyperbolic "the world is ending" kind of language, I think it was the people opposed to the move, not any of the people in favor of it.

28 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Now you're just making things up. No one said the world would end if O'Hearn hit.

Hyde played the platoons. We knew it was going to happen because it always does.

Hyde didn't want to stay with the hot hand. He wanted to platoon. Get over it.

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Where are you getting this "world would end" shtick?   I said I felt Hays was the correct move, nothing more.   

Right and that's insane, considering Hays has been, by far, the worst qualified hitter in the league so far. 

No amount of "drop-off" that would come from O'Hearn facing a LHP (gasp!) would get near the likelihood of Hays making an out there. And I think you know that but would just rather argue instead of acknowledging the obvious. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Consider that one of the reasons O'Hearn is "hot" is because Hyde has wisely kept him on a strict plaatoon

Considered, addressed, and rebutted numerous times already.

4 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Now you're just making things up. No one said the world would end if O'Hearn hit.

Well they must think something awful will happen since they're rather have the guy who's 2 for 40 this year hit.

I’m not gonna go searching, but I’m pretty sure I was strongly in agreement with get rid of OHearn. I still mildly agree we should look to trade him but he hits the ball so hard and really hurts RHP. I could see him being of more use to us than a solid RP or SP depth. But that piece he can help us acquire plus Kjerstad is probably better than just OHearn himself. 

Just now, Malike said:

Great interview tonight. He called out Cowser for throwing Kimbrels ball in the stands at the end of the game and said his players need to be more aware of the situation.

I missed that. What was the basis for it? Did he reach a career number? Was up and down with the kids and the tv was muted. 

Just now, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I missed that. What was the basis for it? Did he reach a career number? Was up and down with the kids and the tv was muted. 

I think he moved up on the all-time list.

• Upvote 1