Brandon Hyde 2024

The managerial move that most surprised me today was Baldelli pulling Lopez, their team ace who was carving the O's up, after 87 pitches instead of sending him out for the 7th. Okert promptly let the O's back in the game with the Santander HR. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, dystopia said:

No it wasn't. My argument was to play the hot hand. Nobody has explained why I should care about O'Hearn's OPS against lefties 3 years ago in KC when he's knocking the cover off the ball right now. Hays is not currently hit anyone, leftie or rightie.

Tony -- if you don't like something in my post why don't you just edit it out so I don't have to repost everything else?

Hot hand = smaller sample size = less valid in determining who will succeed than long term performance (obviously weighted for more recent, but not to the point of considering 39 at bats the past 3 weeks more valid than 500 last year.

Just now, Spy Fox said:

The managerial move that most surprised me today was Baldelli pulling Lopez, their team ace who was carving the O's up, after 87 pitches instead of sending him out for the 7th. Okert promptly let the O's back in the game with the Santander HR. 

Hey now, this thread is about how Hyde is killing this team. Go read the game thread, he lost us this game by taking Suarez out. THIS LOSS IS ON HYDE!!!!!

• Haha 1

I'll go on the record and say that I thought in real time I would have left O'hearn in there, just on the chance he gets a hold of one to tie it up.  Not that Hays can't, but O'hearn is on a heater right now and Hays is......not.  That being said, I get the defensive side of the argument, I just would have been less inclined to worry about that in a game I was trailing at the time.

And Hays had to face a RH pitcher next at bat, in a tie game, I think it was to lead off the ninth.  Would have been nice to have O'hearn at that moment.

All this being said, although I agree with Dystopia's point there, I am absolutely not on board with the argument that Hays is cooked, and all that.  Just not as convinced as others that this spot was the right one for Hays, primarily due to how good O'hearn has looked, and I would have liked to have seen how he looked against the LH there.

37 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Did anyone seriously think Hays had a better chance of getting a hit than O'Hearn in that situation given how each one has been hitting? If you say yes you're lying.

Why not?   Against lefties over their careers Hays has an OPS that is 200 points higher.   Yes, he has been in a slump.    A bad one.   Players are in slumps.   Until they come out of them.    You are vastly overreacting to 40 at bats.   I'm glad our manager doesn't.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Why not?   Against lefties over their careers Hays has an OPS that is 200 points higher.   Yes, he has been in a slump.    A bad one.   Players are in slumps.   Until they come out of them.    You are vastly overreacting to 40 at bats.   I'm glad our manager doesn't.

This isn't how hitting works.

31 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I agree and figured Lopez would get one more inning he was dominating the Orioles hitters and pitching on cruise control. 

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

To be clear, this line of reasoning only works if the players are robots and not human beings.

I'm laughing at you because it really bothers you when someone disagrees or tells you that you are wrong. I hope you put down your whiskey bottle long enough to realize we won today. What you said makes you look stupid or just a kid. Match ups are for the robot people