Moises Chace 2024

DocJJ

3 hours ago, EdwinRip said:

Chace and Nunez were sharp again today.

Good to see another return in the Jorge Lopez trade (following Povich and Cano)... the gift that keeps giving. 

Also it seems Yaqui Rivera is doing well, providing some hope of payback for Tanner Scott and Cole Sulser to the Marlins.

3 IP, 1 ER, 4 H, 2 BB, 5 K’s yesterday, on 64 pitches, 36 strikes.  Not an efficient outing.  Chace pitched to two batters in the 4th inning, allowing a hit and a walk.  

• 2 weeks later...

Four more shutout innings for Chace last night, 2 hits, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts.   His ERA is 0.91, WHiP 1.21, K/9 12.7.   The only blemish is his 5.2 BB/9.   He’s pitched 8 games and has only allowed runs in two of them.  

Yesterday he threw 45 of 68 pitches for strikes.  For some reason the O’s kind of have him under wraps, as he’s only been allowed to exceed 70 pitches twice, back in April.  He’s also been kept to four inning outings.  They’re clearly being very careful with the 20-year old (turns 21 in three weeks).  In fairness, they did need to shut him down for a month late last summer, so I’m guessing it’s more season load management than game-by-game decisions.  

In any event, it’s been a promising campaign for Chace.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Four more shutout innings for Chace last night, 2 hits, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts.   His ERA is 0.91, WHiP 1.21, K/9 12.7.   The only blemish is his 5.2 BB/9.   He’s pitched 8 games and has only allowed runs in two of them.  

Yesterday he threw 45 of 68 pitches for strikes.  For some reason the O’s kind of have him under wraps, as he’s only been allowed to exceed 70 pitches twice, back in April.  He’s also been kept to four inning outings.  They’re clearly being very careful with the 20-year old (turns 21 in three weeks).  In fairness, they did need to shut him down for a month late last summer, so I’m guessing it’s more season load management than game-by-game decisions.  

He's a guy that probably needs to be challenged in AA now. I watched some of his outing last night and he gest a lot of chase on the fastball up in the zone. He reminds me of Albert Suarez a bit with the riding fastball, slider, changeup mix. 

He did walk 3 last night, but he really got squeezed from an inconsistent A-ball umpire at times. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He did walk 3 last night, but he really got squeezed from an inconsistent A-ball umpire at times. 

And even with the 3 walks, he threw 66% strikes.  

Promotion or not will be interesting to watch.     At 30 innings pitched (giving him one free out), Fangraphs Age readout has Chace as one of only four age 20-21 arms in the Sally.

Baumeister and Portes also show up on the young-ish list at 20+ innings.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

At one time, the Orioles seemed to be in the minority regarding keeping guys under wraps and to lower pitch counts.  Now this seems to be the rule among teams in the minors.  

2 hours ago, elextrano8 said:

Scary.  I’ve watched the play a few times.  No slow motion available.   He’s covering 1B and the throw from the 1B is behind him and weak and bounces.  He turns completely towards hp trying to gather the bounce.   he’s pretty much right on 1B.  The runner just a few feet from the bag, senses a collision, starts to pull up, puts both hands up seemingly to grab Chace.  It looks to be like maybe his left hand/palm caught Chace in the jaw.  Chace’s head moves to the left like a whiplash and he goes down.  The collision didn’t look that hard but it must have been, the way his head moved, like a boxer getting caught flush.  The scary thing is, any boxer or fighter I’ve ever seen knocked out is usually is not out cold or if they are usually coming to within a couple of minutes.   I don’t pray much but I do pray that Chace is ok.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Scary.  I’ve watched the play a few times.  No slow motion available.   He’s covering 1B and the throw from the 1B is behind him and weak and bounces.  He turns completely towards hp trying to gather the bounce.   he’s pretty much right on 1B.  The runner just a few feet from the bag, senses a collision, starts to pull up, puts both hands up seemingly to grab Chace.  It looks to be like maybe his left hand/palm caught Chace in the jaw.  Chace’s head moves to the left like a whiplash and he goes down.  The collision didn’t look that hard but it must have been, the way his head moved, like a boxer getting caught flush.  The scary thing is, any boxer or fighter I’ve ever seen knocked out is usually is not out cold or if they are usually coming to within a couple of minutes.   I don’t pray much but I do pray that Chace is ok.

Thank you for the summary, I haven't seen the actual clip. I haven't been able to find any updates, unfortunately - here's hoping he's okay!