Moises Chace 2024

DocJJ

20 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Don't know much about him but the 20 yr old Venezuelan has 9 K's in 3 IP tonight.   

His quick scouting report after last season. I haven't seen this outing yet to see if there is any jump in stuff or just a great night.

53. Moises Chace – RHP (A): The 6-1 right-hander started to put things together a bit late in the summer before getting shut down for an injury. The 20-year old’s fastball sits 92-93 and touches 94-95. His best pitch is a solid average change up that works really well against lefties who slashed just 1.82/.310/.347/.657 off him. Throws a slider and curveball though both pitches are very inconsistent and have to improve. Command overall is still a big problem as his fastball tends to run up and away too often.

• Tony-OH changed the title to Moises Chace 2024

Made the hot sheet this week for Baseball America 

20. Moises Chace, RHP, Orioles

Team: High-A Aberdeen (South Atlantic)

Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 SO, 0 HR

The Scoop: A 2019 signing out of Venezuela, Chace has been a sneaky performer for the Orioles at the lower levels the last few seasons. He made his 2024 debut last week making two appearances tossing eight total scoreless innings. Chace struck out nine in his season debut before striking out six in his outing on Sunday. Chace’s four-seam fastball sat 94-95 mph with 18 inches of induced vertical break and 8-9 inches of armside run. He mixed in a sweepy slider at 82-83 mph with 10-11 inches of horizontal break and a changeup at 83-84 mph. Chace missed bats with all of his pitches and was consistently around the zone. He’s an interesting off-the-radar name with intriguing stuff and strong early performance. (GP)

• Thanks 1

I don’t have a BA subscription, but the article before the paywall says:

These are 10 prospects outside the Top 100 who have popped early on, a mix of players who could find themselves on the Top 100 this year, sleepers and others where the initial looks this season have been favorable.

Chace was previously not on the radar at all for me but now he has my strong attention. Sounds like a really strong three pitch mix, definitely a potential breakout candidate “late” bloomer pitcher (despite being only 20). 

He’s also got an 80-grade pitcher name so I hope he makes it for that alone!

8 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I don’t have a BA subscription, but the article before the paywall says:

These are 10 prospects outside the Top 100 who have popped early on, a mix of players who could find themselves on the Top 100 this year, sleepers and others where the initial looks this season have been favorable.

Chace was previously not on the radar at all for me but now he has my strong attention. Sounds like a really strong three pitch mix, definitely a potential breakout candidate “late” bloomer pitcher (despite being only 20). 

He’s also got an 80-grade pitcher name so I hope he makes it for that alone!

Moises Chace, RHP, Orioles

In Baltimore’s first international signing class under general manager Mike Elias and vice president of international scouting Koby Perez, the Orioles signed a group of intriguing pitchers. One of them was Chace, a 6-foot righthander from Venezuela who had reached 93 mph, paired it with a high-spin curveball and showed good pitchability for his age. Now a 20-year-old in High-A Aberdeen, Chace’s stuff has ticked up and he’s off to an excellent start with eight scoreless innings and a 15-2 K-BB mark. 

He can run his fastball up to 96 mph with good carry, getting a lot of swing-and-miss on that pitch this season, along with a high-spin slider at 2,700-2,900 rpm. His most effective pitch has been a lively, tailing changeup with more than 10 mph of separation off his fastball that has piled up whiffs. In one at-bat against Nationals lefthanded-hitting outfielder Jared McKenzie, Chace fell behind 1-0 with a fastball, then threw three straight changeups with empty swings on each one. Chace struggled with his control last year—he walked 53 in 68 innings—but there’s a starter pitch mix here if he can continue throwing strikes the way he has in his first two starts.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Moises Chace, RHP, Orioles

In Baltimore’s first international signing class under general manager Mike Elias and vice president of international scouting Koby Perez, the Orioles signed a group of intriguing pitchers. One of them was Chace, a 6-foot righthander from Venezuela who had reached 93 mph, paired it with a high-spin curveball and showed good pitchability for his age. Now a 20-year-old in High-A Aberdeen, Chace’s stuff has ticked up and he’s off to an excellent start with eight scoreless innings and a 15-2 K-BB mark. 

He can run his fastball up to 96 mph with good carry, getting a lot of swing-and-miss on that pitch this season, along with a high-spin slider at 2,700-2,900 rpm. His most effective pitch has been a lively, tailing changeup with more than 10 mph of separation off his fastball that has piled up whiffs. In one at-bat against Nationals lefthanded-hitting outfielder Jared McKenzie, Chace fell behind 1-0 with a fastball, then threw three straight changeups with empty swings on each one. Chace struggled with his control last year—he walked 53 in 68 innings—but there’s a starter pitch mix here if he can continue throwing strikes the way he has in his first two starts.

Love the sound of that write up. Thank you.

Sounds a bit like Trace Bright. Or McDermott with a better changeup instead of a curve. Or a number of the arms the Orioles drafted last year. They definitely have displayed a type that they like for pitchers similar to the “power + swing decisions + athleticism, but questionable hit tool” type for hitters. Good fastball qualities, ability for spin, and hope we can get them to throw strikes. 

My report after last year without the statcast data that BA seems to have eyes on now. the two walks so far is what has impressed me. If he can keep that up while missing bats that's big for him. The stuff was legit at times.

53. Moises Chace – RHP (A): The 6-1 right-hander started to put things together a bit late in the summer before getting shut down for an injury. The 20-year old’s fastball sits 92-93 and touches 94-95. His best pitch is a solid average change up that works really well against lefties who slashed just 1.82/.310/.347/.657 off him. Throws a slider and curveball though both pitches are very inconsistent and have to improve. Command overall is still a big problem as his fastball tends to run up and away too often.

• Upvote 2

Baseball America

10. Moises Chace, RHP, Orioles

Chace’s stuff across the board is getting more swing-and-miss than it did a year ago. A 20-year-old righthander with High-A Abderdeen, Chace is throwing slightly harder than he did in 2023, sitting at 93-95 mph and reaching 96 mph with a riding fastball. He’s getting a high amount of whiffs both with a changeup that has good fade and separation off his fastball as well as a high-spin slider (2,700-2,900 rpm) that has sharp sweep across the zone. It’s a starter’s repertoire, though after recording a 15-to-2 strikeout-to-walk ratio in his first two starts, Chace walked six in four innings in his last outing. Control has been an issue for Chace before—he walked 53 in 68 innings last year—so while he has the stuff to start, location will be key for him to stick in that role.

Chace piggybacked with Juan Nuñez yesterday and threw 4 scoreless innings to earn a save, allowing 2 hits and walking 3, also striking out 3.  He threw 69 pitches, 42 for strikes.  

Through April, in 15 innings Chace has a 1.20 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, 13.2 K/9, 2.0 K/BB.  He’s only allowed 6 hits, but has walked 11.   He needs to cut down the walks but otherwise is looking good.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Yossarian said:

If he's getting 2900 rpm on the slider, that's near elite level spin rate.   How is his control?  The walks seem a little high,  but the WHIP is low so he's not giving up a lot of hits 

Like most pitchers with big stuff, I'm pretty sure his command is his biggest issue. Starter upside, but probably a bullpen guy in time. (my opinion)

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

If he's getting 2900 rpm on the slider, that's near elite level spin rate.   How is his control?  The walks seem a little high,  but the WHIP is low so he's not giving up a lot of hits 

His command of all of his pitches is not great, but they seemed improved from last year. Some of the stuff is real good, but he still looks more like a potential bullpen guy than a starter to me.