Cameron Weston 2024

Just Regular

Another very good outing for Weston today: 4.2 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 5 K’s.   The only run charged to Weston came after he was removed with two outs in his fifth inning of work with a runner on 1B via a walk.  Reliever Nick Richmond came in and promptly allowed a two-run homer, with the first run charged to Weston.  What a shame.  Anyway, Weston got the win and his Bowie ERA stands at 1.80, with an 0.87 WHIP and 12.6 K/9 in four appearances.  The promotion to AA hadn’t fazed him in the slightest.  

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Weston bounced back from his first bad outing of the season, throwing 5 one-hit shutout innings, walking two while striking out six.  His ERA was left at 3.28 since joining Bowie.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2024 at 9:48 AM, wildcard said:

Do we have a profile on Weston?   Velocity, what pitches he throws?

I put it in some thread, but now I can't find it. I'm a work now so I'll need to get back to my computer and my notes at home unless someone finds what I wrote. Basically He's a 92-94, low-3/4 almost sidearm righty with a sinker, slider, change repertoire. The funky arm angle and the ability to throw strikes has certainly helped him. 

I haven't watched his last few outings so I need to go watch him again anyways.

27 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

8/2 K/BB in 5.1 no hit innings tonight, though the walks did occur as he tried the 6th inning and ended up runs.

Even there, it looks like his defense and bullpen let him down.   Strikeout, single, error, walk.   Reliever then allows runs on a wild pitch and a sac fly.  I’d certainly call it a good outing for Weston. 70 pitches, 48 strikes.  

The gem last night increased his seasonal K-bb to about even with Povich at about 23%.

50 IP minimum to isolate full-time SP, he is 29th MLB-wide among 319 this morning.    2.29 ERA is 30th, so around 90th percentile of results both ways.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Is this guy trade bait? Can he make the big club this year? Where’d we get him?

1. Everybody is trade bait.  He’d need to be the 2nd or 3rd piece of a package to get anyone notable.  

2. No.  He’s only in AA.

3. 8th round, 2022, $197,400 bonus, U. of Michigan.

Weston missed the first two months of 2023 and after a brief FCL rehab, threw 40.1 innings at a 2.68 ERA at Aberdeen last year.   He began this year repeating Aberdeen and had an 0.54 ERA in 16.2 IP in 4 appearances before being promoted to Bowie.  In AA, he’s had 14 appearances (7 starts, others long relief) covering 52.0 innings and is now carrying a 2.94 ERA, 1.019 WHIP, 10.4 K/9, 4.3 K/BB.  In 10 of his 14 outings, he’s allowed 0 or 1 run.  

@Tony-OHgave a brief rundown of his stuff above in this thread, but hasn’t weighed in on him much other than to rank him no. 19 in his latest prospect power rankings.  

• Thanks 1

I think AAA will give us a better idea of what the Orioles have in Weston. It's a unique arm angle and he does flash good stuff at times, but I want to see how AAA lefties hit him. He's done really well against AA and A+ lefties by throwing that slider down and in on them as well as using that changeup away. He also will backdoor them as well.

It's a unique set of skills he brings to the mound, but his ground ball rate fell against AA hitters and they've been able to square him up a bit. He's out pitched his FIP and xFIP in AA so let's see how the rest of the season goes. 

They've really kept him on a low pitch count so maybe they see him a reliever. I do think that's his most likely outcome, but I'm not ready to give up in him as a starter.

• Upvote 1