The official “We need starting pitching” thread:

DocJJ

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Dude, give it up.  There ups and downs to a season.  We aren’t going out and getting an ace.  We’re going to ride with what we have.  Means and Bradish look to be coming back.  Kremer ain’t going anywhere.   We’ll see where this team stands in July.   

The young guys, Westburg and Cowser are looking good.  Holliday will be good.   Povich just had his third real good start in a row.   The team isn’t going all in so they can do their best to win a championship for you.  

Give what up??

I hope Means and Bradish come back and are effective even though that’s not a given. Kremer is fine for a back of the rotation spot. He has his very good games like last Sunday and his terrible games like today. He’s inconsistent.

I’m fine with who we have position player wise. I was responding to a poster who was advocating for bringing up all the triple A position prospects and jettison all of the more established players in front of them, in season, and talking about what’s going to happen and who’s going to be on the team in 5 years.

I believe in Holliday’s talents and have made posts stating that he will be fine.

So again, I ask what I’m the world are you talking about? - “This team isn’t going all in so they can do their best to win a championship for you”. 

I’m not that important and have never claimed to be. Yes I want the team to win. But I hope they want to win for themselves as opposed to a random fan on a message board (me).

Maybe I’m confused? Or maybe you have me mistaken for some other poster?

Kremer is what he is, a solid average pitcher. He is going to have the occasional bad game. I do wish we had Bradish and who knows, we might yet. If not, send for reinforcement in July but no need to panic yet.

Kremer should have been out of the third up 4-1 were it not for the Mateo error and squeezed K that turned into a blooper. Then who knows how the game goes if Kremer doesn't get gassed from having to get five outs that inning.

• Upvote 1

In 2 more months/55 days, they'll probably be ready to promote Cade Povich if he keeps pitching as well as he is right now. He needs 11 more games in AAA to match the number of games he pitched in AA before they promoted him. 

32 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Give what up??

I hope Means and Bradish come back and are effective even though that’s not a given. Kremer is fine for a back of the rotation spot. He has his very good games like last Sunday and his terrible games like today. He’s inconsistent.

I’m fine with who we have position player wise. I was responding to a poster who was advocating for bringing up all the triple A position prospects and jettison all of the more established players in front of them, in season, and talking about what’s going to happen and who’s going to be on the team in 5 years.

I believe in Holliday’s talents and have made posts stating that he will be fine.

So again, I ask what I’m the world are you talking about? - “This team isn’t going all in so they can do their best to win a championship for you”. 

I’m not that important and have never claimed to be. Yes I want the team to win. But I hope they want to win for themselves as opposed to a random fan on a message board (me).

Maybe I’m confused? Or maybe you have me mistaken for some other poster?

Mea culpa.  I misinterpreted.

Let me throw this out there for consideration.  Keegan Akin has been "lights out" from spring training thru this first couple weeks of the season.  Dude came up thru the minors as a starter.  Is it so farfetched that he can't return to being a starter?  Or should we leave well enough alone?  Just a thought...

23 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Let me throw this out there for consideration.  Keegan Akin has been "lights out" from spring training thru this first couple weeks of the season.  Dude came up thru the minors as a starter.  Is it so farfetched that he can't return to being a starter?  Or should we leave well enough alone?  Just a thought...

And who fills his role in the bullpen?

Kremer looked like he let the bad luck/defense and missed strikes get to him today which is something he had been able to keep away from happening the last few years.  I know 2021 I remember seeing him have a few things go wrong and you could just see it in his body language it got to him.  Today was one of the first games I seen that same thing from the past, who knows might be just some things going on outside baseball with him that were already on his mind today and things snowballed on him.  I am not gonna worry about 1 start.  It is a long season we were high after the first 6 games then Pirates series loss the season was over only to see a sweep of the Sox and we were back to the World Series favorite around here.  Now 2 bad starts and we won’t make the playoffs.  It is a long series there will be ups and downs no matter how good or bad you are.  

If Irvin and/or Wells continue to look very poor, I expect the O's to call someone up for spot starts until Means/Bradish is ready.  Don't expect it to be Povich.  Very likely someone the O's could call up, have start and DFA w/o missing them.  Baumann might get a start too.  I hope you took a Tums before reading my post. 

The O's really missed on Montgomery in my opinion. He's already had TJS so I think he might be fairly durable moving forward. I thought he'd be a good investment on a 4 or 5 year deal for 85-125 million, he's left handed, and he has a ring. But to not make an offer when he ends up signing for 1 year 25?

I liked trading for Burnes, but its for 1 year and we (at least the fans) didn't forsee the Bradish and Means' situations. Losing both showed our depth really isn't there yet for SP

Also, long term, what is the plan for starting pitching? Immediate and future?

I see it currently as Burnes, Grayson, ______, ______, Kremer. I think Kremer will be fine: lots of weak hits and a wind assisted dinger; today wasn't as bad as it looked. I made a comment the other day that others didn't like: Kremer is a great #5 starter on a high caliber playoff contender.

Wells and Irvin make the bullpen better if we can replace them in the rotation.  If Means returns 1) how effective is he coming back from this injury compared to what Wells and Irvin bring and 2) no matter how he performs, he's only here for 1 more year. Even if Bradish returns, he's very likely to have TJS at some point in the next year or two (just my guess after hearing Elias talk speak on Bradish today and also considering the trends in injury/surgery among elite arms)

If Bradish doesn't return or Means is equal than or less than Irvin or Wells, how long does Elias wait to make a trade? When does he think Povich is ready? McDermott? Does he feel comfortable going to Rookies for pitching help especially if they aren't a Top 100 guy? We ain't got much at AAA.

Next year, as it stands, we have Bradish (maybe), Grayson, Kremer, Wells, Irvin, Povich, McDermott? In the past the Orioles don't spend money on FA starters. Still probably two seasons before we see results from Elias and Perez' efforts in the International market. We got some decent starter prospects scattered between Bowie and Aberdeen. But, worst case Scenario, we are looking at ______, Grayson, _______, _______, Kremer; we need to fill in the blanks effectively if we want to compete for a World Series in 2025

So what's the plan Mike?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hallas said:

Grayson and Corbin and pray for a pourin'?

Even if the Orioles think Bradish and Means are on the way back the starting rotation could use another pitcher. Means is a complete wildcard and will he even pitch more than a 100 innings this year. 

And with Bradish I’m hoping he can pitch out the season, but Elias should be planning on a trade sooner rather than later. Make use of this excess talent considering there aren’t enough at bats to go around. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bauer is still out there. Luzardo could be on the block eventually. 

The Orioles and probably no other team is signing that a__wipe Bauer.  It is laughable to even keep bringing it up.