Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

46 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Which thread has been more wrong - this one, or the one about Mullins?

Haven’t you learned your lesson yet?   Late May last year still calling for Gunnar to be sent down.

DirtyBird

Plus Member

Posted May 29, 2023

More rationalization for Gunnar hurting the team. Great

6 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

He was facing a dude with a 6 ERA and swung at ball 4 twice prior to walking.

MANY of Santander’s 10+ pitch at bats are the result of him fouling off 3-4 pitches that weren’t strikes.   

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

MANY of Santander’s 10+ pitch at bats are the result of him fouling off 3-4 pitches that weren’t strikes.   

So does that make them good at bats just because he made the pitcher throw a lot of pitches or are they undisciplined at bats because he swings at so many bad pitches?

Edited by Sports Guy

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So does that make them good at bats just because he made the pitcher throw a lot of pitches or are they undisciplined at bats because he swings at so many bad pitches?

In my opinion, they’re bad at bats with a silver lining.   But the announcers rarely discriminate.  If it’s a 10+ pitch at bat, they’ll always say it was a good at bat.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In my opinion, they’re bad at bats with a silver lining.   But the announcers rarely discriminate.  If it’s a 10+ pitch at bat, they’ll always say it was a good at bat.

Yea I can see it either way.

On one hand, he makes the pitcher work and gets the pitch count up.  OTOH, you could have been on base multiple times and if you didn’t foul those pitches off, chances are that you would have gotten out.  

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Poor little DirtyBird.   This is an easy one.  You’re always wrong.  It’s just a matter of time.  Tell you what.   If Mullins and Santander don’t finish close to their expectations before the season, we’ll give you a medal that says “I’m not always wrong” just to make you feel better.

How low were your expectations?

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

How low were your expectations?

I didn’t say my expectations.  If they don’t finish close to their expected numbers.   Basically, close to their OPS and counting numbers from last year.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

There is talk all the time about working pitchers better in our lineup. I’m in the 10 pitch AB being good pretty much every time, especially but not exclusively when it ends up with the batter on base. 

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I think Tony still has the juice and is one good week away. On the contrary, I worry about the holes Hays and Mullins. But I think Tony is gonna help this team and hopefully him$elf 

And Mullins is more valuable than Hays because of better defense and usually better base running 

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Still hitting only .227/.306, but the OPS+ is right where it should be. 

We’re in a league where the average slash line is .240/.311/.388.   Pretty gruesome.  

Tony Taters now up to 125 wRC+ on the year and just a tick higher than his prior levels.  Even with his defense rating poorly again, Tony is heading for another 2-3 WAR season.  After a lot of worry to start the season, glad to see Tony get back to his normal production.

1 minute ago, Say O! said:

Tony Taters now up to 125 wRC+ on the year and just a tick higher than his prior levels.  Even with his defense rating poorly again, Tony is heading for another 2-3 WAR season.  After a lot of worry to start the season, glad to see Tony get back to his normal production.

Cool.

Still don't want to give him a QO.