Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The day you said he was a black hole in the lineup he went 2-4 and hit an important homer the next night.   You should buy a broken clock and see if you can be right more often than it is.  My money is on the clock by 2 each day.

He was 0-4 on the 14th, had off on the 15th, then started hitting 

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He was 0-4 on the 14th, had off on the 15th, then started hitting 

I apologize.  It’s hard to keep track of all your dumb comments.   In the lineup thread on the 16th you said 33% of the lineup was automatic outs, including Santander.    Starting that night, he’s 7-15 with 4 doubles and a home run.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I apologize.  It’s hard to keep track of all your dumb comments.   In the lineup thread on the 16th you said 33% of the lineup was automatic outs, including Santander.    Starting that night, he’s 7-15 with 4 doubles and a home run.

The bats did click that day. The Santander off day really sparked the entire team, except for Holliday.

Santander’s .763 OPS/123 OPS+ are now up in their customary range.  The .289 OBP still has a ways to go, but we’re still in that period where two more times on base would be worth about 24 points of OBP, so he’s not at some insurmountable deficit there.  The good news is his swing has gotten less loopy and more direct to the baseball, and he’s not trying to yank everything.   Loved the opposite field double past the 3B last night.  

As to that catch, I was particularly impressed because Santander has always been a little slow getting to shallow bloopers.   He was full out on that play, and no matter what Statcast says about how that catch rates for the general population, that’s a 5-star catch in Santanderville.   Generally, he’s putting out a lot of effort on defense this year.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Santander’s .763 OPS/123 OPS+ are now up in their customary range.  The .289 OBP still has a ways to go, but we’re still in that period where two more times on base would be worth about 24 points of OBP, so he’s not at some insurmountable deficit there.  The good news is his swing has gotten less loopy and more direct to the baseball, and he’s not trying to yank everything.   Loved the opposite field double past the 3B last night.  

As to that catch, I was particularly impressed because Santander has always been a little slow getting to shallow bloopers.   He was full out on that play, and no matter what Statcast says about how that catch rates for the general population, that’s a 5-star catch in Santanderville.   Generally, he’s putting out a lot of effort on defense this year.

He looked a little slow getting up after a head first slide on the bases and then after making that catch.  Maybe nothing but let’s see if he DH’s today or maybe even out of the lineup.

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He looked a little slow getting up after a head first slide on the bases and then after making that catch.  Maybe nothing but let’s see if he DH’s today or maybe even out of the lineup.

I saw that. I was worried he jammed his wrist or shoulder on the slide into second. Maybe a good day off for him, stick Hays in RF since he had a little life at the plate last night.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Does that mean he will stink again in October?

.930 OPS in the 3 games with a HR. So if we’re going with 3 game samples, I don’t think that “stinks,” but you do you.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, yark14 said:

Hey, at least he had a nice outfield assist against a practically walking Stanton.

That was a great throw by him.  Generally, I think Santander is playing the best defense he’s played since 2020.   

How much longer can SigBot and Hyde keep penciling Santander in the cleanup spot; I’ve never seen him lay off as many  fastballs as he has this season and when he does swing he looks completely overmatched.

Think he’s hitting .040 against fastballs 95mph and up. 

Santander has gotten off to slow starts in the past but gotta say this year it feels different. He doesn’t look like a MLB hitter right now. Sad, have always been a big Santander fan but you gotta find more starts for Kjerstad etc and move Santander lower in the lineup when he does play.

The hardest years I feel are the year before you get free agency especially if you trying to get that big long term deal and the year after you get a big contract.  If you start out struggling the pressure gets to you I am sure more.