Adley Rutschman 2024

joelala

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Really good stuff. Thanks for posting. Adley needs to address this in the offseason.  Now we can see why I guy like Burnes that has great control wanted to throw to McCann.

Is Adley part to blame for Burnes’ recent struggles?  Burnes can’t throw low

Not that I’m a fan of catcher ERA, but the stats between McCann and Adley catching Burnes are nearly identical (3.22 vs 3.24 ERA). About the only thing that sticks out is a higher walk rate with Adley.

McCann is a worse pitch framer than Adley. That said, if we look at the zones, about the only area that McCann is adept is low, but middle pitches. Not exactly a great area to be in, but we have seen Burnes like to live there.

But neither of these guys are to blame for Burnes performance. His strikeout rate has been declining for 4 years in a row. His walk rate is lower than last year, which is good. He’s awful at holding runners, nothing new. And lately he just doesn’t have the bite or command of his cutter, his bread and butter pitch.

6 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

One of the hallmarks of a bad manager is not moving a player struggling as much as Adley has for as long as he has down in the lineup. 

Adley should be hitting 6th or lower until he heats up or until whatever injury he has - if it's a back injury or anything else - improves. 

I would add one of the hallmarks of horrible coaching is who told Adley to completely change his approach and to upper cut everyhing 

Just now, Orioles0615 said:

I would add one of the hallmarks of horrible coaching is who told Adley to completely change his approach and to upper cut everyhing 

He's always had a huge uppercut swing but somehow he made it work.  It ain't working right now.

On 8/26/2024 at 9:05 AM, Aglets said:

Since July 1st:

Adley:

.190/.276/.303   (.579) 

James McCann

.255/.349/.346   (.694)

Would Hyde dare to move these guys into at least a 50/50 timeshare at some point?

That's kind of crazy to think McCann has been out performing Adley for that long. 

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Good stuff there

Jomboy does some great stuff, but he should have highlighted his work on receiving vs making this about Burnes' back and forth with the ump. 

Pretty interesting to see how much better 22-year old Francisco Alvarez (+8 catching Framing runs) is than 26-year old Adley (-2 framing runs). 

It also begs the question as to why the Mets are using advanced catching techniques and placement while it appears the Orioles may not, or at least don't seem to be in this situation covered.

Besides blocking, where Adley is currently tied for the best with +3 catching blocking runs saved and the best in MLB with 13 blocks above average, it appears that every part of Rutschman's game has slipped this season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Jomboy does some great stuff, but he should have highlighted his work on receiving vs making this about Burnes' back and forth with the ump. 

Pretty interesting to see how much better 22-year old Francisco Alvarez (+8 catching Framing runs) is than 26-year old Adley (-2 framing runs). 

It also begs the question as to why the Mets are using advanced catching techniques and placement while it appears the Orioles may not, or at least don't seem to be in this situation covered.

Besides blocking, where Adley is currently tied for the best with +3 catching blocking runs saved and the best in MLB with 13 blocks above average, it appears that every part of Rutschman's game has slipped this season.

I mean just watch the way our catchers receive the ball. It’s really bad. You don’t even need to see the stats to see how bad they are at this.

I just wish this was being explored. What is going on with Adley?  Why is the framing so much worse? Why is the hitting worse?

Is there stuff the media knows but have been asked not to report it(ie an injury?) or are they just not doing their jobs?

55 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

He's always had a huge uppercut swing but somehow he made it work.  It ain't working right now.

True, I have noticed a little in the past but see  it more now. That and the going down to one knee that he does sometime. So frustrating as like others he is my favorite player, I really do think it's got to be some kind of coaching issue. He didn't do this that much the past 2 years

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but it’s more pronounced right now.

Is it, or is he just not getting as good of results?

I don't know why you would change your swing, then start getting bad results that seem very easily viewable (tons of pop-ups and fly balls) and not look to change it back.

If it's an injury, and the results continue like this through mid-September or so, they really need to consider IL-ing him.  He's a big zero at the top of the lineup right now.

I think for the next couple weeks, Adley needs to be limited to catching when facing LH.   Let McCann start against RH.  

No DH’ing.  On off days he can PH if there is a more favorable matchup vs relief pitcher than McCann.  

Neither of them are distinguishing them behind the plate.

Try something different.  The current situation isn’t working and hasn’t for months now   

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I think Adley is dealing with more than back issues right now

Very cringe worthy

I know I'm getting up there in age (54) but this is why I despise Tiktok (besides it being a tool to collect data for the Chinese government). Why would anyone think that needs to be recoded and put online? 

And call me old school, but why would a major league baseball player be doing stuff like this in season? I mean I get this is off time, and I'm not expecting him to be crying in a corner when he gets home because he's in the middle of his worse slump of his life, but it's not a good look when your struggling to be worrying about doing dumb TiktoK videos with your girl.

Now saying all that, do I think this has anything to do with his awful slump? No, I do not.

Do I think he should keep a low profile on Tiktok videos with his girl in season, yes I do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1