David Rubenstein 2024

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

The point is winning, not the players, builds the brand.  If the team wins the brand will grow.  Plain and simple.  

The Tampa Bay Rays and Cleveland Guardians/Indians have consistently had a winning/competitive team and no market place relevance/great attendance. Unless by “winning” you meant championships. MIA won two in a what 6 year time span and the have always struggled to find there footing in that market.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

The Tampa Bay Rays and Cleveland Guardians/Indians have consistently had a winning/competitive team and no market place relevance/great attendance. Unless by “winning” you meant championships. MIA won two in a what 6 year time span and the have always struggled to find there footing in that market.

The question is would attendance be greater if they had kept a core together.  I wouldn't trust the Cleveland attendance from the late 90's as a guide.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question is would attendance be greater if they had kept a core together.  I wouldn't trust the Cleveland attendance from the late 90's as a guide.

Cleveland hasn’t been able to have good consistent attendance or relevance in that market since those teams in the 90s.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

The point is winning, not the players, builds the brand.  If the team wins the brand will grow.  Plain and simple.  

That worked really well for Oakland and Tampa. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Rubenstein needs to whip Cal into shape and keep him from saying completely inappropriate comments about Jackson Holliday’s development. 

I listened to the clip.  Sounded pretty vanilla to me.   What did you consider inappropriate?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not the market it once was.  Neither is Detroit.

Detroit’s market is experiencing resurgence. Have you seen what the Lions are doing? They are now one of the biggest traveling fan base in pro football now.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cleveland opened Jacobs Field in 1994, had some really good teams thru 2001 and were top 5 attendance 1994 until 2001 including a couple of times leading the league It's been all downhill since, dont think the been in the top 10 in the last 20 years.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No I haven't seen what the Lions are doing.  Last I checked they were eating Christians. 

??? I think you lost me on that one.

The Detroit Lions hosted the NFL draft last month and broke the record for attendance. 

Can, I think you and I are on the same side of the coin when it comes to the importance of retaining great/superstar/franchise players.

For whatever reason @emmett16 seems to be opposed to it. I remember one post he had about Elias/Sig possibly being able to use AI in order to figure out some sort of star profile for 15/16 year olds so that they could continue to replicate and replace the Hendersons/Rutschmans/Hollidays/etc.