2024 Gameball Thread

Aristotelian

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

9/3 9-0 vs CSW, I feel like this was such a blowout (which saw us score 4 runs in an inning without a hit) and the White Sox are so atrocious that individual accomplishments can't really be gameball worthy. However, Povich did pitch well so he gets it. I also liked Gunnar's hustle around the bases.

Sounds like you are begrudgingly giving it to Povich.  7.1 IP, shutout, with 10 K’s.   It’s one of the biggest no brainer game balls of the year.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Sounds like you are begrudgingly giving it to Povich.  7.1 IP, shutout, with 10 K’s.   It’s one of the biggest no brainer game balls of the year.

For sure. Also the least meaningful. But credit Povich, he did his job and got us into first place, and pitched better than Burnes against the same lineup.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

For sure. Also the least meaningful. But credit Povich, he did his job and got us into first place, and pitched better than Burnes against the same lineup.

I don’t know why you’d call his start less meaningful. If he had thrown 7.1 scoreless innings in AAA many on the board would be excited about that development and progress, myself included. Why be less excited that it was at the major league level, even if the team it was against was closer to AAA quality?

9/6/2024, 2-0 vs Rays. I missed most of this game. Looks like clear gameball for Dean for 6 shutout innings coming back from the contusion. Seranthony also got five outs overcoming Gunnar's botched double play ball and Cano gave us a clean inning with two K's. Gunnar had the HR but poor 9th inning defense is disqualifying, sorry Gunnar. 

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

9/6/2024, 2-0 vs Rays. I missed most of this game. Looks like clear gameball for Dean for 6 shutout innings coming back from the contusion. Seranthony also got five outs overcoming Gunnar's botched double play ball and Cano gave us a clean inning with two K's. Gunnar had the HR but poor 9th inning defense is disqualifying, sorry Gunnar. 

I’ve got Kremer and Cano with a close second, saving Kremer’s great outing. Seranthony got 4 outs, btw.

9 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I’ve got Kremer and Cano with a close second, saving Kremer’s great outing. Seranthony got 4 outs, btw.

I meant Gunnar basically gave the Rays a fourth out that inning by botching the double play ball. But yeah, I see he came in to bases loaded, no out, so put him ahead of Seranthony.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Suarez delivered a hell of a game, he's my pick for the game ball.  Hard to overlook Cedric's two homers.

This might be the hardest gameball decision of the year. Suarez and Cedric are equally deserving but I will go with Cedric due to him also deserving a gameball for that incredible catch yesterday. 

Close, but I'll give Gunnar the gold, Burnes the silver and Livan Soto the bronze, although Cedric Mullins would be deserving as well.  Burnes pitched like an ace tonight, but runs have been so hard to come by that I have to give the gameball to Gunnar, who scored the first run and drove in the eventual game winners on his home run.  

27 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Close, but I'll give Gunnar the gold, Burnes the silver and Livan Soto the bronze, although Cedric Mullins would be deserving as well.  Burnes pitched like an ace tonight, but runs have been so hard to come by that I have to give the gameball to Gunnar, who scored the first run and drove in the eventual game winners on his home run.  

Gunnar showed up for us. Well deserved game ball. Good call on Soto, I wanted to give it to him but Gunnar was just too good. Great game for Burnes but he pitched from behind in the count a lot and gave up a leadoff walk after we scored. 

I have to give Burnes the Gameball.  This is the Burnes the O's need to see.  Burnes going 7 innings for the first time since??? June? May?  As someone mentioned, this is the first time Burnes hasn't allowed a run in a start.  I can't call Burnes an ace, especially after the last month, but I'll call him 1A to Eflin's 1B (or maybe he should be the 1B).