McKenna learning second base?!

Sports Guy

• Sports Guy changed the title to McKenna learning second base!
  • Sports Guy changed the title to McKenna learning second base?!

It’s been a few years, but I seem to recall there was some talk about his playing 2B when Duquette was still here. Might have been some kind of instructional league chatter or something. It certainly cannot hurt. 

His path to staying in baseball is as a utility player. The more positions he can play, the more likely he is to stay in the league. Good for him. But I don't anticipate him back in Baltimore. We saw them go Kjerstad when Hays even though the team is very lefty heavy. With Mateo getting looks in CF and Cowser able to play there for a bit, there really isn't any role that he's next in line for (or even 2nd or third in line). Even learning 2B doesn't get him in a next in line position given Norby.  

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cool, I guess.

I think he'd be better served learning how to be the emergency catcher.

If we're talking about doing things with low likelihood of success and minimal utility they could see if he could become a serviceable AAA 5th starter.

Will be interesting to see if he can violate the axiom that rightward shifts on the defensive spectrum rarely work. The only two cases off hand I can think of where a full-time OF moved to 2B/SS and succeeded were Betts and Honus. And that truly weird Mickey Stanley experiment where Mayo Smith took his starting CF and moved him to shortstop just in time for the postseason and they won the WS with him there.

Edited by DrungoHazewood

I don't really get this, but it also doesn't really matter anyway.  Why not just have Norby play there more and see if he can improve?  The odds of that are at least as high as the odds of McKenna ever being even as good as Norby is now.