Speculating on how the O's handle the pitching logjam

interloper

8 hours ago, Explosivo said:

And what was that shit on the top of his cap?

I was asking myself the same question. He kept touching it before every pitch. I thought it could have been pine tar. Whatever it was, it didn't look legal under the new rules.

Good grief, lose a series to Oakland and everyone loses their damn minds. I’m surprised there weren’t accusations of Kimbrel having money on Oakland.

What this series does is highlight Elias’s refusal to staff the bullpen in the offseason. He obviously knew Irvin and Wells would he needed in the rotation, but made no effort to bring in anyone beyond Kimbrel. Now we have to trade assets in July for something that could’ve been had for money in the offseason. 

Edited by waroriole
  • Upvote 1

Hyde said in the post game that Kimbrel has a back issue.   Whether he needs to be IL'd is TBD.    He may just need a couple of days between outings.   Either way the O's are going to need to supplement the 9th inning role.     Suarez looks like next man up IMO.  

Wells is a week or two away.  He is not even throwing yet.

23 hours ago, Explosivo said:

And it took all of 30 minute for the injury to be disclosed which means he hid it from Hyde and the trainer when they went out to check on him. It’s clear as day. Dude placed himself above the team and Hyde should be absolutely livid he believed him before sending him to the showers and bringing in Tate. His outing on Friday was similar so it can be reasonable to assume he was injured then as well. If I’m Hyde, I’d use this as a way to build character for the rest of the team and highlight what Kimbrel did as the wrong side of things. Team first always. Honesty always.

I have the opposite take? The dude was trying to help the team win the game. In general, I want warriors. 

He wanted to battle. It's not like he gets some big bonus with each save. I hope we hide him on the DL. He's clearly good when his arm is fresh but i don't want him pitching more than 2 out of 4 days. We need him for the playoffs not April.

On 4/30/2024 at 6:11 AM, Rojo13 said:

I have the opposite take? The dude was trying to help the team win the game. In general, I want warriors. 

He wanted to battle. It's not like he gets some big bonus with each save. I hope we hide him on the DL. He's clearly good when his arm is fresh but i don't want him pitching more than 2 out of 4 days. We need him for the playoffs not April.

If he can’t pitch one inning two out of four days. I’m not sure what to say.

Posted (edited)
On 4/26/2024 at 9:47 AM, interloper said:

Here's what I think Elias will do, assuming the following pitchers are ready to be added in this order, and that Suarez makes one more start this Sunday. 

1. Means activated, Irvin to the bullpen to act as our much-needed long reliever. Ramirez DFA'd. 

2. Perez activated, Akin optioned. This allows them to get a look at Perez without losing Baumann for now. I think the O's are wary of DFAing Baumann this early in the season, as much as some of us would like to see it.

3. Bradish activated, Suarez moved to bullpen, Tate optioned. O's try Suarez as a strikeout-oriented late(ish) inning guy. If that doesn't work out, Tate can come back up. But I think it should be a priority to find a reliever who can get Ks against RHP in the backend of the bullpen. 

Tough calls and none of them are guaranteed to work honestly. But this would let them take a look at Means, Perez, and Bradish (and Suarez in the pen) without the risk of losing anyone except Ramirez. Can Perez and Suarez be as successful as Akin and Tate? Extremely debatable, admittedly. But I think the O's will hedge towards keeping everybody, and kicking tougher decisions down the road a little. 

What would you do? 

I made it one move (Tate option) before being instantly wrong about everything lol. 

Always a secret IL or a 3rd catcher move waiting to troll you for daring to predict Elias' moves. 

Edited by interloper

13 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I am looking forward to see what Suarez can do coming out of the pen.  I think he could be a go to late inning guy the rest of the year. 

I agree theres a chance.  Probably more likely he’s DFA’ed in a month than that but it’s definitely possible.