Speculating on how the O's handle the pitching logjam

interloper

Here's what I think Elias will do, assuming the following pitchers are ready to be added in this order, and that Suarez makes one more start this Sunday. 

1. Means activated, Irvin to the bullpen to act as our much-needed long reliever. Ramirez DFA'd. 

2. Perez activated, Akin optioned. This allows them to get a look at Perez without losing Baumann for now. I think the O's are wary of DFAing Baumann this early in the season, as much as some of us would like to see it.

3. Bradish activated, Suarez moved to bullpen, Tate optioned. O's try Suarez as a strikeout-oriented late(ish) inning guy. If that doesn't work out, Tate can come back up. But I think it should be a priority to find a reliever who can get Ks against RHP in the backend of the bullpen. 

Tough calls and none of them are guaranteed to work honestly. But this would let them take a look at Means, Perez, and Bradish (and Suarez in the pen) without the risk of losing anyone except Ramirez. Can Perez and Suarez be as successful as Akin and Tate? Extremely debatable, admittedly. But I think the O's will hedge towards keeping everybody, and kicking tougher decisions down the road a little. 

What would you do? 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Ordinarily a logjam is a good problem to have. Unfortunately for the O’s this one has some good and bad with it. On one hand it is remarkable that Bradish could be back so soon and the potential arrival of Means also has to be welcomed news. That the O’s are 16-8 without these two is also a really good thing. 

But the O’s do not have a hoard of optionable players and both Bradish and Means are potentially arriving but are not locks to either be effective or to have staying power.  In theory both could be back out as quickly as they arrive just as easily as they could return to prior form. 

Either could also prove to not be as effective as hoped. 

But you have to find out so they are coming and the O’s will in my opinion try to minimize DFA’ing potential pieces as long as possible here. 

I still do not have high expectations for Bradish or Means, but color me very pleased that we get a chance to find out as we close out April.  How this goes is going to be important and hitting on one or both of these moves would be extraordinary. 

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

But the O’s do not have a hoard of optionable players and both Bradish and Means are potentially arriving but are not locks to either be effective or to have staying power.  In theory both could be back out as quickly as they arrive just as easily as they could return to prior form. 

Yeah, the highlighted section here is really why I agree that the O's will look to minimize losing players to waivers just yet. Things could blow up on them pretty quick. There's a ton of risk with these moves, but they have to find out. The best way to do that is to utilize the options for Akin and Tate, IMO. We'll see! 

Just DFA the worst hitter on the team.  Who is this Holliday guy anyway and why is he wasting ABs for good players like Mateo?

Honestly, I think it's a fine time for the Orioles to risk losing guys and creating a little flexibility.  I know people don't like Ramirez but I think Baumann who is the only reliever outside Cano who has given up more hits than IP is that guy.  You just can't be sporting a whip of 2.00.

Then maybe it ramirez, or even IL Cano and get him straightened out, and see what Suarez can do as a 7th inning guy with Coulomb sliding into that set up role.

Yea, that first paragraph is sarcasm.

I agree with OP, these are the best guesses as to what will happen. However, Elias being Elias I am going to predict at least one of them is wrong, with no clue as to which one. Maybe Means to bullpen and/or possibly Bradish takes longer. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

I don’t see any risks involved in anything mentioned.  Akin is the only pitcher that has pitched well of the players mentioned, so it may not be smart to option him.

I think "well" is a bit of an overstatement. He did give up 5 runs to three outs across three appearances recently, and the two outings since then were not clean.

I wouldn't move Suárez out of the rotation unless (until) he falters.  Very unique to have his experience, confidence, control and velocity. 

Mike Snyder O's pro scout on Suarez:

“In broad strokes, he was a strike thrower with a high pitching IQ. With feel for three secondary offerings, and with real fastball velocity in the tank to bully hitters when he wanted to," 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, thegardner said:

I wouldn't move Suárez out of the rotation unless (until) he falters.  Very unique to have his experience, confidence, control and velocity. 

“In broad strokes, he was a strike thrower with a high pitching IQ. With feel for three secondary offerings, and with real fastball velocity in the tank to bully hitters when he wanted to," 

Who else are you pushing out instead if both Means and Bradish are back? Kremer, I assume?

7 minutes ago, thegardner said:

That's why I think Irvin gets bounced first. If by the time Bradish comes back, Means isn't looking good, you don't have to move Suarez at all, you can choose to move Means instead. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

That's why I think Irvin gets bounced first. If by the time Bradish comes back, Means isn't looking good, you don't have to move Suarez at all, you can choose to move Means instead. 

Concur.