Grayson to IL with shoulder inflammation. Means activated.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

All the stats accumulate over the seasons.  As does the reputation for being hurt.  I don't want any fake trips to the IL on my record when I hit free agency or even when I get to arbitration.

No one is going to remember a 15 day trip to the IL for a shoulder 4-5 years from now when it comes time for free agency.  

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

Well, NOW the question is whether we trade Basallo for a starter.

so…um…where can we find a good starter?

and by good I mean >Flaherty and his ilk.

The April 2024 version of Jack Flaherty would look pretty good in our rotation.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

No one is going to remember a 15 day trip to the IL for a shoulder 4-5 years from now when it comes time for free agency.  

You know what would be hilarious?

If Grayson agreed to a phantom IL stint and then the team used it against him in arbitration hearings.

What a hoot that would be.

No way a team would ever do something like that tho.

Teams that fake injuries are totally ethical in other respects.

And yes, teams are going to be looking at every IL stint when he gets to free agency.   Are you going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars without doing your due diligence?

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why are we trading Basallo at all?

It was a reference to my post about Basallo for Miller. The reason I mentioned Basallo as a possible Oakland target is because he’s not going to be ready for another year or two, which would suit Oakland better.

If we’re shopping for starters, other prospects would be better, unless the receiving team also wants somebody who is still a year or more away.

Regardless, If we’re going to get a top quality starter, and I’m not sure there are any on the market, we will have to give up top-quality prospects.

Edited by Philip

49 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The speculation at that time was that it was done to line him up to pitch in the Yankee series rather than the last game vs Oakland.

Which made sense.

But now we have more information so perhaps that was the cause.

It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. Throwing starters off their routine isn’t a great strategy as we saw in his start against the Angels. 

I truly don’t get the sense of urgency for a series against the Yankees in April. Yes, I’d like to win, but this feels like September maneuvering which is why I think it’s stupid. 

Just now, Philip said:

It was a reference to my post about Basallo for Miller. The reason I mentioned Beall as a possible Oakland target because he’s not going to be ready for another year or two, which would suit Oakland better.

If we’re shopping for starters, other prospects would be better, unless the receiving team also wants somebody who is still a year or more away.

Regardless, If we’re going to get a top quality starter, and I’m not sure there are any on the market, we will have to give up top-quality prospects.

Basallo shouldn’t be on the market for any starter is that is likely to be made available.  

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Grayson agreed to a phantom IL stint and then the team used it against him in arbitration hearings.

And yes, teams are going to be looking at every IL stint when he gets to free agency.   Are you going to spend hundreds of millions of dollars without doing your due diligence?

Grayson could whisper softly, I'm a team player and faked that injury for them, and I'll do it for you too if you want.  I'm sure they'll feel better about it then.

6 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

The April 2024 version of Jack Flaherty would look pretty good in our rotation.

The April 30th version? The rest of the month he was a negative WAR pitcher.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Malike said:

The April 30th version? The rest of the month he was a negative WAR pitcher.

Sure, when a guy has made 6 starts and you take out the best one I would expect his numbers wouldn't be that great.  He had a 3.64 FIP before his start yesterday.  Kremer is still a negative bWAR pitcher for the season btw. 

Edited by Big Mac

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Basallo shouldn’t be on the market for any starter is that is likely to be made available.  

Yes. I thought I’d made that clear in my reply. I only mentioned Basallo in regard to Miller because the As wouldn’t want any players who are mlb ready now, because their pre-arb years would be wasted on a terrible team, and would therefore be extra interested in someone like Basallo. 
For a starter who might be available from someone else, that wouldn’t be a consideration, so the usual possibilities of Norby, Mayo, Stowers, etc would be the discussion.

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

Sure, when a guy has made 6 starts and you take out the best one I would expect his numbers wouldn't be that great.  Kremer is still a negative bWAR pitcher for the season btw. 

Right, how many of those are acceptable? If Flaherty gave up 4 runs last night, you wouldn't have said he'd look good in our lineup. He had a nice game, but he hasn't been very good overall.

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

Right, how many of those are acceptable? If Flaherty gave up 4 runs last night, you wouldn't have said he'd look good in our lineup. He had a nice game, but he hasn't been very good overall.

4 out of the 6 are more than acceptable.  His peripherals have been strong all season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=flaheja01&t=p&year=2024

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know what would be ridiculous?  The Orioles tell an arbitrator that a player that spent a single 15 day period on the IL and then was healthy for the next couple of years should be paid less than if he hadn't had that single IL stint--especially when an arbitration is a choice between two figures often 100's of thousands apart.

And, no. there isn't a team that is going to look at a single IL stint for a shoulder and be dissuaded from pursuing the player in free agency.   

You are really reaching here.