Grayson to IL with shoulder inflammation. Means activated.

I guess shoulder is a lot better than forearm. 

Hopefully it's just some overuse / soreness issue that just requires rest. 

We are fortunate to have Means coming back as well as Irvin and Suarez holding it down.  Bradish will be added soon and we also have a young lefty dominating in AAA.

This isn't the best of news - but we will be fine.

Roy hit us with the RFRJ (Roy Firestone Reverse Jinx) at the right moment.

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hopefully just a "buying time" thing and also giving him a breather. 

30 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

Have to assume it’s load management more than anything. I’m looking for clues like - we hope he’s back at the end of the 15 day period. 

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a good point and hopefully all this is. They need Grayson to be strong in September and October and may just look at this as a perfect opportunity to shut him down for a bit without losing a pitcher due to DFA. I didn't see anything in Grayson's last start to suggest he was hurt, so maybe a little soreness, which probably every pitcher feels after starts, is a good reason to be able to load manage him for the year. 

Saying that, he did throw a 163.1 innings last year between Baltimore and Norfolk and was very strong last year into October, where he was too hyped up (sitting 100 MPH) vs worn down.

This is where I'm at as well. 2 starters returning - to the rotation, not the bullpen - and only 1 starter you really want to "demote" to the 'pen at the moment (sorry, Suarez). Buys time to see if either Means or Bradish need to go back on the IL and gives Grayson a blow.

Who didn't (unfortunately) see Grayson injury coming? Thought it would be the elbow before the shoulder though. I hope it's nothing too serious where he has to miss a significant amount of time.

Are we sure this isn't some phantom IL move to manage his innings and because they are stuck up on someone like Rameriz and Bauman? Why wouldn't you wait until his next start to see how his shoulder is doing 

1 minute ago, Orioles0615 said:

Are we sure this isn't some phantom IL move to manage his innings and because they are stuck up on someone like Rameriz and Bauman? Why wouldn't you wait until his next start to see how his shoulder is doing 

If I'm Grayson I don't agree to that.

4 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

Why don't they send Kjerstadt down since he isn't player and it will open up a spot to reinstate a Bradish or Lopez?   Kjerstadt needs to play to keep sharp and it is not happening sitting on the bench.

MLB limits the amount of relievers on a roster at 8 and total pitchers at 13.  If not we'd have only a two man bench right now.  haha.  

I sure hope this is just a very careful cautionary move because we have the luxury of backing off of him with Bradish and Means both back.  

So is it Suarez or Irvin that sticks in the rotation?  Irvin could pitch out of pen tonight if need be, and we might need him to get Soto out in the 7th.  Irvin was up to 94 out of the pen last year, and could be 1-2 mph faster this year with his overall velo bump.  

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The training room is nowhere big enough to add in an MRI machine. Not to mention all of the logistics involved in maintenance, staff, etc. 

If the Orioles or any major league team felt a MRI every month would show potential injuries before they happen, I'd imagine many more would routinely happen. Pain is almost always the first indicator of a problem. The body is set up that way.

Probably right.  I have no idea how much room they could find in the Stadium.  Probably they could install one in the Warehouse.  

My musings were totally the thoughts of a total amateur with no idea of what the logistics of this would be.  

Also I think an MRI machine is like a half million or something.  I could be very wrong however.  

With Bradish and Means on the verge of returning I'm hoping this is just to give Grayson a rest so he doesn't breakdown in August/September. As long as this isn't serious it's not ideal, but it won't cripple this team.

It is another argument for why Elias should consider trading for another starting pitcher. You can never have too much pitching.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Today is also the deadline that Means' 30 day rehab stint ended.  So they had to make a move today.  

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

Don't they have to since his rehab is over?

Yep. You guys are correct. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably. But maybe it was enough of an injury to be day to day and the need to make a roster move made the decision easier to 15 day IL him. Who knows really? It’s pretty convenient that a roster move needed to be made and all of a sudden someone’s hurt. 

Just now, ledzepp8 said:

Probably. But maybe it was enough of an injury to be day to day and the need to make a roster move made the decision easier to 15 day IL him. Who knows really? It’s pretty convenient that a roster move needed to be made and all of a sudden someone’s hurt. 

It’s probably real and has been on the radar a while. Remember they pushed him back a day for no reason for the Angels start.