What’s the move for Bradish today?

What’s the move for Bradish today?   

50 members have voted

1. 1. What’s the move for Bradish today?

• Baumann DFA
    • Ramirez DFA
    • Akin Optioned
    • Some surprise BS

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was going to start a thread called “These guys are pitching like their jobs depend on it.”   Seems like all the guys we might option or DFA are pitching well all of a sudden.   Even Ramirez looked damned good yesterday.  I’m thinking they may option Akin just to buy more time.  Not that he deserves to be optioned.  

Can they put Kimbrel on the DL for now, and keep both Baumann and Ramirez? Kimbrel warmed up last night, but didnt come in the game. Maybe he's still hurting.

Edited by Roy Firestone

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t get the DFA Baumann crowd at all.

Yeah, I agree. I think Baumann is fine.

I half expect for them to option Akin because that buys them time to make a more permanent decision. We'll find out pretty darn soon, I presume.

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Can they put Kimbrel on the DL for now, and keep both Baumann and Ramirez? Kimbrel warmed up last night, but didnt come in the game. Maybe he's still hurting.

There was no reason for him to enter that game. 

Ramirez made it all the way to us when the Mets DFA’d him that means pretty much every other team passed on him.  Did he do anything to make another team say oh wait I think we need this guy now.  I didn’t see anything he looked like run of the mill reliever imo.  I think it better gamble he makes it through waivers then Baumann does so I would try him to get through.  

• Upvote 2

Kyle Bradish v. Carlos Rodon is a fantastic matchup between two guys with a lot of variance where the outcomes over the long term will factor big into a bunch of divisions.

Are there 0, 1 or 2 Cy Young contenders here?    Are there 0, 1 or 2 serviceable pitchers here?

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Kyle Bradish v. Carlos Rodon is a fantastic matchup between two guys with a lot of variance where the outcomes over the long term will factor big into a bunch of divisions.

Are there 0, 1 or 2 Cy Young contenders here?    Are there 0, 1 or 2 serviceable pitchers here?

I think it's just nice to see Bradish back out there today. If he comes in hot and looks good I will definitely feel a lot better. 

I have to admit I have some apprehension about what we're gonna see. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think it's just nice to see Bradish back out there today. If he comes in hot and looks I will definitely feel a lot better. 

I have to admit I have some apprehension about what we're gonna see. 

Yeah the expectations are through the roof for Bradish's 1st start, fresh off a UCL strain against the Yankee's of all teams. I hope he rises to the occasion. This game decides first place for another day, so the stakes couldnt be any bigger. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Baumann is the most frustrating pitcher.  If you watch him on a good day (like yesterday), he looks like an elite reliever.   Other days, he’s throwing meatball after meatball.  Some days, he starts off great and then suddenly starts tossing cookies.   You literally never know what you’re getting with him.  There’s this feeling that if he could harness his stuff consistently, he could be a very solid back end reliever.   But he doesn’t harness his stuff consistently, and it’s not like he hadn’t had a lot of chances to do it.  I won’t lose any sleep if he’s DFA, but I think they’ll pick Ramírez if they go the DFA route.  

I agree he is not elite, but he pitched 60+ innings last year without getting hurt and put up a 109 ERA+. Under team control through 2028. You could imagine a world where he makes some incremental improvement and reaches the next level. That's a guy with value, not someone you DFA IMO. 

Baumann '23 was almost as good as Akin '22, and 10x better than Akin '23. Yet after one good month of Akin everyone is saying Baumann is completely expendable while Akin is a core guy that can't even be optioned for 10 days. I don't get it. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree he is not elite, but he pitched 60+ innings last year without getting hurt and put up a 109 ERA+. Under team control through 2028. You could imagine a world where he makes some incremental improvement and reaches the next level. That's a guy with value, not someone you DFA IMO. 

Baumann '23 was almost as good as Akin '22, and 10x better than Akin '23. Yet after one good month of Akin everyone is saying Baumann is completely expendable while Akin is a core guy that can't even be optioned for 10 days. I don't get it. 

I thought pitcher options were 15 days?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Let’s see how Kimbrel feels today.

He warmed up yesterday.  Probably a little more ramping up than he has done in recent days. If he wakes up stiff or any issues beyond that, I could see him going on the IL.

You have to wonder if Kimbrel is still not feeling great that IL him and back date it. Elias hates to give up pitchers and I think he knows he'll lose Ramirez or Baumann if the DFA one, and Akin has been too valuable to option.

We'll see what happens the next 1, 4 and 24 starts but reading tea leaves and knowing how much data goes into everything, it is low key encouraging they are deploying him in this spot.

@Dirty Birdhad a good observation on rehab he wasn't using his slider as frequently as last year, and it is pretty well understood that is his moneymaker.

He'll compete with Volpe and Judge and Giancarlo in a couple hours.     I have gotten the vibe this series they have been careful with Soto in the 1st inning, and boy does a walk feel pretty likely there.   

I know the Orioles loathe intentional walks, but if ever they were going to do the Joe Maddon messing with Bryce Harper's brain thing.    I believe that occurred during one of Brandon Hyde's Cubs years.

37 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

Guess I should have read through the while thread. 

It's the obvious move and makes me think Kimbrel is probably available tonight or very soon.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to wonder if Kimbrel is still not feeling great that IL him and back date it. Elias hates to give up pitchers and I think he knows he'll lose Ramirez or Baumann if the DFA one, and Akin has been too valuable to option.

Yep. Obviously if he feels fine, they won’t do anything with him but if there are any issues, you almost have to do it at this point.