The Seattle Mariners Series, May 17-19

Frobby

Means vs. Miller (3-3, 2.66 ERA)

? vs. Castillo (4-5, 3.31 ERA)

? vs. Kirby (4-3, 3.58 ERA)

Miller faced the O’s twice last year, allowing 3 runs in 4.1  IP the first time, 2 runs (1 ER) in 5.2 the second time.   Castillo allowed 1 run in 6 IP when we saw him in 2023.  Kirby faced us twice, allowing 3 runs (2 ER) in 6.1 innings the first time, and pitching a complete game, 3 hit shutout the second time, in which he faced only two batters over the minimum.   

The O’s haven’t named their starters for Saturday and Sunday.  Irvin and Kremer are our most rested starters, but  Burnes also would be available by Sunday, and there has been talk that Grayson Rodriguez could be activated without a rehab appearance.  

The Mariners are averaging 3.82 runs per game, 23rd in MLB, though they’re better on the road at 4.21 runs/game.  They have a 98 OPS+, 17th in MLB.  Their top hitters this year have been Josh Rojas (134 OPS+),  Cal Raleigh (120 OPS+, 10 HR, 24 RBI), Luke Raley (118 OPS+) and Dylan Moore (104 OPS+).  Julio Rodriguez has been quiet so far at 91 OPS+.  

Seattle’s bullpen has the 8th best ERA in baseball at 3.27, slightly topped by the Orioles’ 3.23.   Our old friend Austin Voth has been a mainstay for the Mariners, posting a 3.12 ERA and 1.039 WHIP in 17.1 IP.  Andres Muñoz has been an effective closer, posting a 1.47 ERA with 11.8 K/9, saving 7 against 1 blown save.   

With the Seattle starters and bullpen and relatively mediocre offense, and the O’s recent offensive slump and strong pitching, this figure as a low-scoring series, but we’ll see.  

Love seeing Julio Rodriguez struggle.

This will be a very tough series, IMO.  Would love to face a weaker pitching staff with the way our guys haven't been hitting the ball lately but hopefully they'll figure out a way to come around this series.  

Seems like the final score of all three of these games could be 3-2. Which means tonight’s final will probably be 10-7 LOL. 

Very curious how the pitching shakes out. If I’m not mistaken, Irvin was before Means in the last couple turns, so he’s been skipped now. I wonder for how long. Hard to imagine he pitches tomorrow - if so they would have just pitched him tonight and Means tomorrow. 

Weather very iffy for the Saturday game.   Guess if it was rained out they would do a Sunday doubleheader even though it's a getaway day for both teams.

Hays on the bench tonight... not surprising since it's a righthanded pitcher but does make one wonder if his calf is still bothering him. 

Santander DHing and O'Hearn in right seems to indicate that Anthony's knee is still tender and maybe not up to running around in the outfield for 9 innings.

Luis Urias in the lineup today, his brother Ramon is not.

15 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Seems like the final score of all three of these games could be 3-2. Which means tonight’s final will probably be 10-7 LOL. 

Very curious how the pitching shakes out. If I’m not mistaken, Irvin was before Means in the last couple turns, so he’s been skipped now. I wonder for how long. Hard to imagine he pitches tomorrow - if so they would have just pitched him tonight and Means tomorrow. 

Roch tweeted 

15 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Roch just tweeted that Hyde told reporters that Irvin is in the bullpen tonight.

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Weather very iffy for the Saturday game.   Guess if it was rained out they would do a Sunday doubleheader even though it's a getaway day for both teams.

Hays on the bench tonight... not surprising since it's a righthanded pitcher but does make one wonder if his calf is still bothering him. 

Santander DHing and O'Hearn in right seems to indicate that Anthony's knee is still tender and maybe not up to running around in the outfield for 9 innings.

Luis Urias in the lineup today, his brother Ramon is not.

The Mariners will only have to travel to NY after Sunday's game, so a DH on Sunday seems like a good idea if they can't play tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Roch tweeted 

Roch just tweeted that Hyde told reporters that Irvin is in the bullpen tonight.

Yeah that makes sense. He will be tomorrow too, if he doesn’t pitch tonight. 

2 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Roch tweeted 

I suspect they are worried that Means will look like his last start and have an early hook ready for Irvin.

25 minutes ago, Malike said:

The dead Oriole bird outside of my window suggests bad juju. There was a Cardinal close by, and well alive, I'm glad we aren't playing the Cards tonight. ;)

Sonny Gray is waiting for Monday after Castillo and Kirby.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I suspect they are worried that Means will look like his last start and have an early hook ready for Irvin.

It  may also mean that Irvin is the odd man out and GRod is starting this weekend.

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

Seems like Suarez would be better suited for that role.   Hard throwing righty following the lefty, coming in against the RH heavy lineup.