Keith Law has O's taking Tommy White at #22 in latest mock draft

On 6/15/2024 at 12:09 PM, Jammer7 said:

This was a name that Carlos Collazzo and the other guy he does the BA pod with talked about. I did the same search as you, and was mildly surprised.

@RZNJ hockey players are super athletic.  Looks like a really good athlete with a very strong swing.  

6.24 60yard 99th percentile in 2024 class 

95 Max EV 97th percentile (off tee) 

85 IF Velo 87th percentile

74.5 Max Barrel Speed 96th percentile

Luke Dickerson Class of 2024 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sydnor said:

Law released his second mock draft today. He had the Orioles selecting Seaver King, SS, Wake Forest. He said the following:

I’ve heard the Orioles almost exclusively on college bats, including White, Christian Moore, and Vance Honeycutt.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5572706/2024/06/19/mlb-mock-draft-2024-charlie-condon-bryce-rainer/?source=user_shared_article

This jives with their draft history (college bats) and would fit in next to last years bradfield pick. A guy who didn’t quite live up to the hype in his last year, but was still solid and plays a premier defensive position (average ss per his scouting report, but could be a cf otherwise). Honeycutt fits that mold too. Right handed without a ton of pop isn’t our normal fit, but solid tools and hopefully can help him create enough lift to still be dangerous. 

I wouldn’t hate that pick if they think he can stick at short. One scouting report said he needs to improve his zone control, which is something we’ve done well at teaching young hitting prospects. 

in that mock, it would probably be king or honey it (realistically), or one of the hs ss in our dreams (Johnson, Lindsey, Lewis…etc) at 22 with most of the college bats and Gillen already gone. 

Edited by OsFanInOhio

6 hours ago, emmett16 said:

@RZNJ hockey players are super athletic.  Looks like a really good athlete with a very strong swing.  

I accept his numbers as being very good and that he is very athletic.  I don’t put much stock in “hockey players are super athletic”.   Some are.  Some aren’t.   I knew guys who played hockey in college and it certainly didn’t carry over to other sports.   You can skate fast and run slow.  I’ve seen it.

Edited by RZNJ

On 6/19/2024 at 10:35 AM, emmett16 said:

Interesting kid. He's about a year older than most HS prospects. Hit 18 HRs as a senior. Two time Group 3 State champs. 28-5 in 2024 season. Had a RBI 2B in State Championship game with 2 BB. New Jersey State baseball PoY, 2024. 

Tell me this picture doesn't give you Mike Trout vibes:

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2024/06/luke-dickerson-of-morris-knolls-is-the-nj-baseball-player-of-the-year-2024.html

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Interesting kid. He's about a year older than most HS prospects. Hit 18 HRs as a senior. Two time Group 3 State champs. 28-5 in 2024 season. Had a RBI 2B in State Championship game with 2 BB. New Jersey State baseball PoY, 2024. 

Tell me this picture doesn't give you Mike Trout vibes:

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/2024/06/luke-dickerson-of-morris-knolls-is-the-nj-baseball-player-of-the-year-2024.html

I’m a fan of his skill set.   Obviously has the hit tool, has power, and flies.  

I love the hockey background.  It’s been my experience hockey players do well in baseball.  Above avg strength, hand eye coordination, and the natural decel movement of the wrist shot is identical to a baseball swing.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

I’m a fan of his skill set.   Obviously has the hit tool, has, power, and flies.  

I love the hockey background.  It’s been my experience hockey players do well on baseball.  Above avg strength, hand eye coordination, and the natural decel movement of the wrist shot is identical to a barbell swing.  

And the microwhatever muscle sheathing growth thing you talk about!  :)

On 6/14/2024 at 2:09 PM, Jammer7 said:

Luke Dickerson is a late riser as well, HS infielder.

Honeycutt’s profile reminds me a lot of Bradfield and Horvath from 2023. He probably won’t be there, but if so, I echo your thoughts. He is a very exciting player, potentially.

Brecht is probably gone too. Not sure what his $ number is, or any of these guys for that matter. They could gamble on an arm there at 22, knowing they can get a HS hitter in the comp pick, 32 (I think?). I like to occasionally gamble on arms, if you like the stuff and the track record. In a way, it’s good that he is at Iowa and not a program that goes deep in the tournament and such.

As I understand it, Brecht converted from a football wide receiver twos year or so ago, so as you said, he’s an athlete. Not sure of the mileage on the arm. With the stuff and athleticism, reliever risk is not a problem for me. I have come around on him a bit after you kept pounding the keyboard on him. 

Luke Dickerson, SS, Morris Knolls HS, Rockaway, N.J.

There are shades of Jackson Merrill and Sammy Stafura with Dickerson as a northeast/mid-atlantic prep shortstop who has received a lot of late helium this spring. He’s an offense-oriented righthanded hitter with a background as a talented hockey player. He might fit better at second base or center field, but teams like his hit/power combination enough to take him inside the first two rounds. He had a solid showing at the draft combine last week, as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/26/2024 at 9:14 AM, RZNJ said:

Luke Dickerson, SS, Morris Knolls HS, Rockaway, N.J.

There are shades of Jackson Merrill and Sammy Stafura with Dickerson as a northeast/mid-atlantic prep shortstop who has received a lot of late helium this spring. He’s an offense-oriented righthanded hitter with a background as a talented hockey player. He might fit better at second base or center field, but teams like his hit/power combination enough to take him inside the first two rounds. He had a solid showing at the draft combine last week, as well. 

Does he have the speed to play CF? 

Edited by Jim'sKid26