Anatomy of the Orioles' blown saves (2024)

Frobby

• 2 months later...

Seems like a good day to update this, following a game where our bullpen blew a save but we won anyway.   

Since the OP, in the last 55 games the O’s bullpen has blown 6 saves, as follows:

May 24: Yennier Cano entered the game in the bottom of the 7th with the O’s leading the White Sox 4-3, but yielded a one-out homer to Andrew Vaughn to tie the score.  The O’s answered with two in the top of the 8th and won 6-4.

June 2: Dillon Tate relieved Cole Irvin with one out in the top of the 7th, ahead of the Rays 3-2.  He escaped that inning but allowed 2 runs in the 8th and the O’s lost 4-3.

June 12: Keegan Akin entered the game with 2 outs in the 7th, O’s leading Atlanta 2-0.  He got through that inning but allowed a 2-run bomb to Matt Olson in the 8th to tie the score at 2-2.  No matter: the O’s scored two of their own in the bottom of the frame and the O’s won 4-2.

June 19:  Craig Kimbrel entered in the bottom of the 9th, O’s leading the Yankees 5-4.   He allowed lead off double to Anthony Volpe and then a one-out RBI single to Giancarlo Stanton, but escaped the inning tied 5-5.  The O’s scored 2 in the top of the 10th and Tate allowed 1 run in the bottom half but held on for the 7-6 win.

July 14: Ahead of the Yankees 4-3 in the  bottom of the 9th, Kimbrel walked the no. 8 hitter Trent Grisham and no. 9 Oswaldo Cabrera, then allowed a 3-run homer to Ben Rice to put the O’s behind 6-4.  But in the bottom of the 9th, the O’s rallied for three runs of their own, aided by two two-out Yankee miscues that handed the victory to the Birds, 7-6.

July 25: Kimbrel entered a game in Miami ahead 6-3 and quickly got the lead off batter.  But then, Norby tripped after charging a slow roller to 2B, ruled a single, and Kimbrel walked the next two batters on 3-2 pitches.  The next hitter hit a routine grounder just to the right of 2B that Gunnar fielded but flubbed, allowing a run to score   The next hitter hit a sacrifice fly to LF to make it 6-5, and then Josh Bell hit a single in the gap on an absolutely terrible pitch that tied the score.  At that point Kimbrel was yanked from the game and Cano was able to end the inning with a strikeout.  Fortunately, the O’s scored once in the top of the 10th and Cionel Perez was able to shut Miami down in the bottom of the inning, and the O’s won 7-6.

So miraculously, these most recent 6 blown saves only resulted in one loss.  Interestingly, the last three were all by Kimbrel and all ended as 7-6 wins.  Great job by the O’s offense to overcome adversity.

So, on the year, that’s 32 saves and 16 blown saves, a decent 67% save rate (league average is 63%) that becomes better when you realize that the 16 blown saves only resulted in 7 losses.  The perpetrators:

6 - Kimbrel (2 losses)

3 - Cano (2)

2 - Akin (0)

1 - Baumann (1 loss), Coulome (0), Suarez (1), Tate (1), Webb (0).  

• Thanks 1

Good DD.  That is amazing.   I would never have guessed that.

31 blown saves resulting in 15 losses?  Really goes to show you how rare and valuable a guy like a Britton is/was.   Literally the difference between the playoffs and not.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Good DD.  That is amazing.   I would never have guessed that.

31 blown saves resulting in 15 losses?  Really goes to show you how rare and valuable a guy like a Britton is/was.   Literally the difference between the playoffs and not.

Well, remember that many saves are blown before the 9th inning.  Even in the year where Britton saved 47 and blew zero, the bullpen blew 14 saves.  However, there is no question that Britton’s performance was the difference between making the playoffs and not.  I’d also say the same of Jim Johnson in 2012 (51 saves in 54 chances).   

• Upvote 2

Two weeks ago most were talking about Kimbrel being screwed not making the All Stars over the Yankee closer. Kimbrel certainly has his terrible moments. Yesterday's blown save was a team blown save. He got the first out, a grounder to third (on one pitch??).  A couple of pitches later a soft roller to second is messed up by Norby. Then a couple (three??) batters later our golden boy did a Volpe. Kimbrel should have gotten out of that unscathed, not pretty but no foul. I don't understand Hyde's decision to keep in for the game tying run when he was near 30 pitches. You give a team 5 outs and crap happens. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Two weeks ago most were talking about Kimbrel being screwed not making the All Stars over the Yankee closer. Kimbrel certainly has his terrible moments. Yesterday's blown save was a team blown save. He got the first out, a grounder to third (on one pitch??).  A couple of pitches later a soft roller to second is messed up by Norby. Then a couple (three??) batters later our golden boy did a Volpe. Kimbrel should have gotten out of that unscathed, not pretty but no foul. I don't understand Hyde's decision to keep in for the game tying run when he was near 30 pitches. You give a team 5 outs and crap happens. 

Well said…now Kimbrel can’t walk guys either. He has to be better there but yea, that inning never happens if the defensive players make the routine plays.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Well said…now Kimbrel can’t walk guys either. He has to be better there but yea, that inning never happens if the defensive players make the routine plays.

I think the Norby play would have been bang-bang if he’d fielded it cleanly.  It was an unfortunately placed 78 mph squibber.  I wouldn’t call that play routine. Of course, Norby’s stumble eliminated any chance of making the play.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I think the Norby play would have been bang-bang if he’d fielded it cleanly.  It was an unfortunately placed 78 mph squibber.  I wouldn’t call that play routine. Of course, Norby’s stumble eliminated any chance of making the play.   

He’s one of the best in the world at what he does..that’s a play a professional baseball player makes…if they stay on their feet.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Or safe if the fielder has a noodle arm.