The 2024 Trade Deadline

Isn’t Crochet and Miller similar to Means as dude that hit up a pitching factory, put on a bunch of muscle, and now are maxing that new frame out differently than they ever have?

People want to look at a Chris Sale, or a Reynaldo Lopez as comps. Sale was always a starter and it’s always been if he’s healthy he’s really good. Lopez was always a starter as well.

We saw what happened with Means. Means put on a lot of muscle and worked his butt off. His body couldn’t hold up pitching. 

Crochet reminds me of if BJ Ryan had focused on starting for a half season and prepped for that. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

45 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn’t Crochet and Miller similar to Means as dude that hit up a pitching factory, put on a bunch of muscle, and now are maxing that new frame out differently than they ever have?

People want to look at a Chris Sale, or a Reynaldo Lopez as comps. Sale was always a starter and it’s always been if he’s healthy he’s really good. Lopez was always a starter as well.

We saw what happened with Means. Means put on a lot of muscle and worked his butt off. His body couldn’t hold up pitching. 

Crochet reminds me of if BJ Ryan had focused on starting for a half season and prepped for that. 

Crochet was the 11th overall pick in the draft.  John Means was the 11th round.  I think the talent level was a bit different to start with.   As to your theory about adding muscle I think you can find pitchers who were durable or not.  Crochet is 6'6 and built like a horse.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Crochet was the 11th overall pick in the draft.  John Means was the 11th round.  I think the talent level was a bit different to start with.   As to your theory about adding muscle I think you can find pitchers who were durable or not.  Crochet is 6'6 and built like a horse.  

He's got that Tanner Scott vibe to him. He's kind of like what we dreamed Scott could be when he was still a starter in the minors. 

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just watched a highlight of a recent Crochet start.

Sheeeeesh. I mean, I get it. It's awfully tempting. Easy 98 with a funky delivery, occasional nasty cutter. Definitely seems like a Dude. Incredibly risky though. 

The windup is a bit funky.  The delivery is as smooth and clean as a whistle.  20 walks in 101 IP attests to the repeatability of the delivery. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

He's got that Tanner Scott vibe to him. He's kind of like what we dreamed Scott could be when he was still a starter in the minors. 

I never dreamed Scott would be what Crochet is right now.  lol

23 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just watched a highlight of a recent Crochet start.

Sheeeeesh. I mean, I get it. It's awfully tempting. Easy 98 with a funky delivery, occasional nasty cutter. Definitely seems like a Dude. Incredibly risky though. 

Yeah … but you’d give up the ranch. Would he extend here? Is that worth the risk considering his health. Plus the limited availability kind of defeats the purpose 

Edited by Roll Tide

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yeah … but you’d give up the ranch. Would he extend here? Is that worth the risk considering his health. Plus the limited availability kind of defeats the purpose 

He has 2+ years at reasonable money.   Who wants to extend him?   As for the limited availability that's all based on the WS saying they were going to limit his innings.   The big question is what is Crochet ok with.   If Crochet is ok with taking regular turns let him go.  According to innings limits he should have shown signs of fatigue or be on the ILby now.   He's healthy and pitching great.   Keeping his innings down guarantees nothing.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

For sure. Really interested to see what the trade package is for whoever acquires him, and then how he's used for the rest of the year. 

He will no doubt be a BP weapon if that’s what he has to be. The problem is, you aren’t trading for him to throw you 20-30 innings.

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He has 2+ years at reasonable money.   Who wants to extend him?   As for the limited availability that's all based on the WS saying they were going to limit his innings.   The big question is what is Crochet ok with.   If Crochet is ok with taking regular turns let him go.  According to innings limits he should have shown signs of fatigue or be on the ILby now.   He's healthy and pitching great.   Keeping his innings down guarantees nothing.  

So you give up 2 top 100 prospects for 2 seasons and a limited second half? I’m glad you’re not in control. I know we’re currently a bit spoiled with the tanking and better front office. But I don’t see why you’d want to give up 3-4 players that include 2 of those guys.