The 2024 Trade Deadline

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The global talent pyramid?    Is that something in Egypt?    You kill me, sometimes!    🙂

Gotta factor in Roki Sasaki.

The 2025 World Series when all 7 games feature Grayson/Crochet/Bradish against Ohtani/Yamamoto/Sasaki will be epic.    Sorry, Corbin Burnes.

Clayton Kershaw will be Jesse Orosco and go at the Gunnar-Holliday part of the order 5 times in 7 games.

2 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

I think any deal for a stud pitcher would have one of McDermott or Povich in the deal. It seems like teams dealing pitching always like getting a high upside arm back. I am okay with EBJ/McDermott on the back end. I hate that Crochet would only be an arm out of the pen this year and that he has only totaled 180 IP in the last 3 seasons combined.

Unfortunate that McDermott is starting tonight for the ML club.  He's a walk machine and I believe he'll be exposed as what he is and his value will drop precipitously.  Hope I'm wrong. 

2 minutes ago, justD said:

Unfortunate that McDermott is starting tonight for the ML club.  He's a walk machine and I believe he'll be exposed as what he is and his value will drop precipitously.  Hope I'm wrong. 

He won't be pitching with ABS, umps are pretty good at calling balls just off the plate strikes, I guess we'll see.

I just want to see McDermott throw good "stuff" and get through at least 4 innings. I think he's an arm that can help us in the bullpen this year. My guess is walks get him a bit tonight, but as long as its competitive and the stuff is flashing, I want it to be enough to give Elias/Hyde confidence to use him in the pen moving forward

7 minutes ago, justD said:

Playing the right team though. Miami chases more than any team in the league. He has to throw competitive pitches.

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

GASP!!!

😁  I know it's well known, I just need to post it every so often, either in a game thread or here for kicks and giggles (that's the polite form).  I get really tired of pitchers who walk guys, and when it's as often as he does, I can't help myself. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, justD said:

I think other teams already know.

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Fingers crossed for Yelich, but a ballplayer conceding that much early in a scenario is ominous.

I don’t know the specifics of his injury, but I felt the same way when I hurt my back. I have a very close friend who is an ER doctor. I remember venting to him that my career in Fire/EMS was over. I couldn’t stand up straight or feel my right foot. I was 38 and weighed almost 300lbs. That didn’t help. He told me that it’s normal to feel that way, but it’s way too soon to come to any conclusions until after surgery and therapy. My surgery was extensive. I had my L2 through S1 cleaned out at University of MD by their chief of spine surgery. Now here I am at 41, 185lbs, and can run circles around my kids. 

I understand that it’s different for a pro athlete, but it does get better and he can have a great quality of life post career. 

If there was anything pre-existing, the team knew about it during spring training. Hopefully it’s a disk that can be fixed and he’ll be right back out there next spring. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

Orioles trade: Mac Horvath, Jud Fabian, Alex Pham

Cubs trade: Jameson Taillon and eat 1/2 of remaining salary. (Orioles pay $9 million/year for 25,26)

Yay/Nay?

I don't think the Cubs eat any of his salary when the Yanks / Dodgers probably beat that prospect offer AND eat 100%.

DraftKings has player prop bets for who will play where after 7/30/2024.  I'll include O's related lines...

Crochet - CWS +110, LAD +350, O's +600

Miller - Oak -210, LAD +550, O's +800

Scott - LAD +310, O's +330

Skubal - Tigers -310, Dodgers +500, O's +500 - Tied with LAD if Detroit trades him

Kikuchi - O's +450, Any other team +500 Dodgers +550

Flaherty, Robert, Jazz, Arozarena - We're lumped in with "Every other team"

We're the favorites to land Kikuchi.  FWIW.  

• Thanks 1