The 2024 Trade Deadline

17 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Gotta a really good player too. Cross them of the sellers list.

They are probably still sellers.  They are not making playoffs this season to get to 85 wins they have to go 34-19 and that is still not gonna make it.  

The Rangers getting swept by the Jays is going to make their decision hard.  They can’t play the White Sox every game to get in the race.  It may be a 2 game series against Cardinals that makes their decision, lose them both you sell, split depends what Astros Mariners do and take both stay in it.  

5 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

They are probably still sellers.  They are not making playoffs this season to get to 85 wins they have to go 34-19 and that is still not gonna make it.  

Should make it pretty clear that Steele is not available though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

I think they are retooling for a competitive run next year, they aren't going anywhere this season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrinkinWithFermi said:

All of Taillon/Bellinger/Neris/Leiter/Nico are still probably available but only if it makes them better in 2025. Not that it matters for you guys, but I think the odds Nico is dealt at the deadline or this offseason has risen a good bit today.

12 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The Rangers getting swept by the Jays is going to make their decision hard.  They can’t play the White Sox every game to get in the race.  It may be a 2 game series against Cardinals that makes their decision, lose them both you sell, split depends what Astros Mariners do and take both stay in it.  

I wonder if we are awaiting Texas's decision to open up Yates and Robertson before pulling the trigger on Scott.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if we are awaiting Texas's decision to open up Yates and Robertson before pulling the trigger on Scott.

They are still only 4.5 back in the division, I wouldn't be shocked if they added, they have a lot of good arms coming back really soon.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Yes should have been more clear, I dont see them moving on from the starters that have been talked about around here

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

I think they are retooling for a competitive run next year, they aren't going anywhere this season.

Absolutely, they clearly think next year is year 1 of their next competitive window.

They thought they might sneak in this year, but the plan failed, so now they're loading up for 2025 and beyond.

16 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

All of Taillon/Bellinger/Neris/Leiter/Nico are still probably available but only if it makes them better in 2025. Not that it matters for you guys, but I think the odds Nico is dealt at the deadline or this offseason has risen a good bit today.

I don't think Nico will go anywhere and I suspect Taillon stays put in the rotation as well. The others will probably go though.

Speaking of which, what do you want for Leiter? 😉

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Absolutely, they clearly think next year is year 1 of their next competitive window.

They thought they might sneak in this year, but the plan failed, so now they're loading up for 2025 and beyond.

I don't think Nico will go anywhere and I suspect Taillon stays put in the rotation as well. The others will probably go though.

If they are going for it in 2025 why would they trade anyone who isn't a free agent after this year? Makes most sense to stand pat and reinforce through free agency.

9 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

A team that values him at his peripherals and not his ERA.

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Yeah I just see no way they would hand over 1B duties to a combination of O'Hearn and Mayo in a playoff race.

O'Hearn is not a butcher at the position.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He's a step down, and Mayo does seem to be very poor.

Agree on Mayo.  On O'Hearn he is likely to get better with reps.  Santander was surprisingly decent there last year too.  I would let Mounty go for the right deal.