The 2024 Trade Deadline

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

And if his arm blows out due to him being pushed way beyond his previous workload where does that leave him and his career? Or should that not be his concern?

I thought O's fans would be a little sympathetic regarding Crochet's situation given what happened once upon a time to Chris Tillman. Buck rid him and rid him until the arm gave out and he never got his big payday despite being an all-star and starting playoff games.

I have no big sympathy for people who play a game and earn what a firefighter would take dozens of lifetimes to make. I understand everything about skill and preparation, etc. I just do not feel that bad about them when they don't make the "big payday".

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

And if his arm blows out due to him being pushed way beyond his previous workload where does that leave him and his career? Or should that not be his concern?

I thought O's fans would be a little sympathetic regarding Crochet's situation given what happened once upon a time to Chris Tillman. Buck rid him and rid him until the arm gave out and he never got his big payday despite being an all-star and starting playoff games.

Which is why I would not trade for him.  You have to give up too much for a pitcher that most likely cannot pitch in the postseason.  

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I wonder what he'd say if the White Sox were in the thick of it. 

It's a double edged sword but probably easier for him to make the declarative statement while in a different locker room. Generally speaking, I wouldn't want anything to do with a guy who publicly states he won't pitch in the post-season without an extension. 

Unless it was your career on the line.

If the player doesn't look out for the best interest of his career who will? The team?

These guys have such a limited window to make life changing/generational altering money.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I get that he has valid concerns. The team should also be concerned that they don't waste his 2.5 years of control. Still, why doesn't every pitcher make these kinds of public demands on their team? How would we feel if Grayson right now said he will shut down in September if he isn't given $300M? 

If EBJ was the cost for Fedde, then I think I'd pull the trigger on that one.  That's realizing that Fedde has a little more trade value than Eflin because Fedde is cheaper and performing better.  Maybe like EBJ + one of McDermott/Povich/Johnson?  Like Eflin, and the players we've acquired so far, Fedde wouldn't be a rental.  

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I get that he has valid concerns. The team should also be concerned that they don't waste his 2.5 years of control. Still, why doesn't every pitcher make these kinds of public demands on their team? How would we feel if Grayson right now said he will shut down in September if he isn't given $300M? 

How many innings did Grayson throw last season compared to Crochet or Crochet's career high? ... The two are not the same.

28 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

But he’s willing to pitch on his regular turn for the rest of the season.   Why the arbitrary cutoff at the end of the season.   Why not just say “shut me down now”?

Why?  Because he and his agent see this as an opportunity to get money.  It might work.  The Dodgers did something similar with Glasnow.

In a way, he might even be directing which team he goes too.

Edited by RZNJ