The 2024 Trade Deadline

7 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Snell and Doval for Basallo plus some mid level prospects

Gregory Soto for Mullins, Estrada, Bright 

No way should the O's give up Basallo for Snell when he is making $30 mill/ year.  I'm thinking Norby + a couple of lower level prospects.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

TEX 2-0, HOU 0-2, SEA 0-2 last 48 hours has their division deficit down to 3 - whatever small crack may have existed earlier this month I think we can say for sure is closed now (aka @Malike has been right all along).

AL West so lukewarm - are the Angels and Athletics even out of it?     It was sad to see Trout only made it two innings in his first rehab game last night.

Texas isn't selling.  With Ray coming back, I doubt the Giants sell.  They could make up alot of ground with Webb, Snell, and Ray.  If they get in the playoffs, they will be tough.  

Will the Red Sox buy?  Which teams are even selling?  Oak, CWS, LAA, TB, TOR, DET, MIA, WASH, COL, CIN???  That could be it.  That's not a huge player pool for everyone to buy from.  

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

No way should the O's give up Basallo for Snell when he is making $30 mill/ year.  I'm thinking Norby + a couple of lower level prospects.

When I thought about a multiple time Cy Young pitcher and a closer it brought me to realization it will probably take Bassalo. Trust me I wanted to put Norby or Kjerstsd in there. Doval is the kicker. Talking about a guy with down year that throws 100 and controllable.

1 minute ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

When I thought about a multiple time Cy Young pitcher and a closer it brought me to realization it will probably take Bassalo. Trust me I wanted to put Norby or Kjerstsd in there. Doval is the kicker. Talking about a guy with down year that throws 100 and controllable.

I think we've all learned over the last 33 games that Closer doesn't really impact the game if you don't have a lead to protect.  Two SP are now our biggest needs.  SP #3, SP #4, RP, RH CF.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think we've all learned over the last 33 games that Closer doesn't really impact the game if you don't have a lead to protect.  Two SP are now our biggest needs.  SP #3, SP #4, RP, RH CF.  

"Orioles acquire Ryan McKenna from the Giants." -- Some source, this week. :P

Edited by Greg Pappas
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I am not trading Basallo for Snell and Doval. I just do not value relief pitching at the level of an impact bat that is controllable for 6+ years. I think the best deal the Orioles can make in the next week is the one that nobody in the media has even mentioned. Someone is going to like our prospects outside of the top 3 and Kjerstad/Cowser that wants to get something done. Snell is going to be expensive and if the Giants wants to move on from that expense then they get a lesser prospect or get a bit better prospect by eating some of the contract, but we are not bailing them out and giving up a top prospect in all of baseball. I think all of these media reports leaking top prospects in asking prices is being done by the team that covets those prospects and not the Orioles. Get Fedde and Scott.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

For the next 3 months, Snell could perhaps outperform Skubal or Crochet but his trade value is still less as his salary is unrestricted by the league's cost containment mechanisms.

Just now, Just Regular said:

For the next 3 months, Snell could perhaps outperform Skubal or Crochet but his trade value is still less as his salary is unrestricted by the league's cost containment mechanisms.

For sure. I think everyone is too much in how have you done for me lately mode. Doval was a very good closer and Snell was an elite pitcher last season.

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Sports Guy Maybe it's not so crazy to trade Mountcastle to HOU for the best prospect and use that prospect in a Skubal deal.  

I've been preaching Mountcastle to Houston for a while, especially if the O's think Mayo can handle the RH platoon at 1b with O'Hearn.

Wouldn't Mounty command a better haul than we got for Mancini from Houston a couple of years ago? Mounty is 114 OPS+ vs. Mancini's 116 in 2022 and Mounty is younger with more team control. Also, isn't Mounty a better defender?

We got Johnson and McDermott, both of which ended up being quality players.

Remember the Mancini deal was a 3 way with the Rays. Maybe Mountcastle to the Astros, who send a couple of prospects to the Marlins or White Sox and the O's get pitching they need?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

@Frobby shared Mayo's stats just Sunday, saying, 

On 7/21/2024 at 5:20 PM, Frobby said:

Mayo has made two errors this weekend, one at 3B, one at 1B.  Today, with the bases loaded, he made a bad throw from 1B and all three runners scored.   Oops.  On Friday at 3B, Mayo flubbed a grounder and a runner scored from 3B.   That’s 14 errors on the year, 4 at 1B in only 13 starts there, 10 at 3B in 53 starts.  

It seems unlikely that the O's would trade away our strong defensive veteran 1B and go with Mayo, even platooning, in a pennant race.  I could be wrong, of course.

Edited by Greg Pappas

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Dan Szymborski's guess on a winning Orioles bid for Crochet is Mayo/EBJ/McDermott.

I think any deal for a stud pitcher would have one of McDermott or Povich in the deal. It seems like teams dealing pitching always like getting a high upside arm back. I am okay with EBJ/McDermott on the back end. I hate that Crochet would only be an arm out of the pen this year and that he has only totaled 180 IP in the last 3 seasons combined.