The 2024 Trade Deadline

If we do want a RH COF type, then we should target someone a little more average/contact driven than HR power because of the Wall and big LF. 

The problem is the guys available are Ward, Thomas, and Happ. Those guys are all low average, high K, depend on HR guys. 

We need a slasher type with some speed to exploit the big LF. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we do want a RH COF type, then we should target someone a little more average/contact driven than HR power because of the Wall and big LF. 

The problem is the guys available are Ward, Thomas, and Happ. Those guys are all low average, high K, depend on HR guys. 

Rooker or Happ?

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Question…. If Snell pitches well he’s going to opt out. So he’s either a rental or a guy on a bad contract. Meaning you get him on the cheap or the Giants guarantee a pile of money if he accepts the option. Either way I don’t think a 1 year contract means we give up on resigning Burnes if that’s their goal. I know it would be my priority.

I like the idea of having a top 4 of Burnes, Eflin, Grayson, and Bradish. Leaving the 5 hole or one of the other young guys.

The Giants aren't going to agree to pay a single penny of his possible 2025 salary unless they get a good return. That defeats one of the main points of trading him, to shed the risk posed by his 2025 player option, and it also defeats one of the main points of trading for him, to get a potential ace for pennies on the dollar by assuming the risk posed by his 2025 player option.

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Would Barclay's give us an insurance policy on Snell pitching 100+ innings for, say, $5M? $10M?

They insure pro wrestlers who get dropped on their heads for a living, so probably. 

Definitely probably.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Basically we need Austin Hays circa 2021.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Rooker or Happ?

Sounds like the As are reluctant to trade Rooker based on a recent MLBTR article. He would fit great though. Team could use a veteran slugger like that to take some pressure off and be dangerous vs lefties. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

The Giants aren't going to agree to pay a single penny of his possible 2025 salary unless they get a good return. That defeats one of the main points of trading him, to shed the risk posed by his 2025 player option, and it also defeats one of the main points of trading for him, to get a potential ace for pennies on the dollar by assuming the risk posed by his 2025 player option.

They insure pro wrestlers who get dropped on their heads for a living, so probably. 

Definitely probably.

I agree … so it’s a modest return or gobs of money. They aren’t getting both from anybody

Here’s a question… if McDermott and Povich aren’t good enough to lock down the #5 spot in the rotation this year, then what makes them able to do that next OD?  

Players can get better. But if we fail this year, the goal should be to absolutely improve the club for next year. How would penciling one of them in next year’s rotation accomplish that?  We’d be entering 2025 with question marks again. 

Just now, interloper said:

Sounds like the As are reluctant to trade Rookie based on a recent MLBTR article. He would fit great though. Team could use a veteran slugger like that to take some pressure off and be dangerous vs lefties. 

Anybody is for sale in Oakland ….. Until they leave for Vegas and an influx of cash. My guess is they would prefer to build for their arrival in Vegas. They would get a nice package imo.

If Brandon Hyde and Robbie Ray didn't have such a special relationship, I would wonder if Farhan and Elias had some analog to the Dombrowski Austin Hays trade.

Just noticed on MLB Network crawl Hays' Phillies have their Yankees series starting tomorrow after Carlos Rodon's game in Fenway Park tonight.

Hyperbole, next 3 days we may have Toronto AAA at home while NYY is in Philadelphia seeing Wheeler-Nola-Sanchez.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Here’s a question… if McDermott and Povich aren’t good enough to lock down the #5 spot in the rotation this year, then what makes them able to do that next OD?  

Players can get better. But if we fail this year, the goal should be to absolutely improve the club for next year. How would penciling one of them in next year’s rotation accomplish that?  We’d be entering 2025 with question marks again. 

McDermott needs to harness control or he has little value. Povich doesn’t look like more than space filler to me but I agree he can improve 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

I hear you but I think "trying to have it both ways" is a risk in and of itself sometimes.

It’s the least risky thing you can do.

What bold moves have we made that reflected a pivot from past preferences of hedging? That would be a risk to change and deviate from would you’ve always done.

29 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

What else are they going to spend money on?  The entire offense next year could be as low as $20M. O’Hearn’s option is $7.5M and Adley will be Arb 1. Nearly the entire rest of the offense would be pre-arb (Gunnar, Westburg, Holliday, Mayo, Cowser, Kjerstad, Stowers, Norby, Pache, Hunt/Handley).

That’s 12 players - the only money over the minimum they’ll spend will be on the 13th player and to additionally retain/acquire players to push Stowers/Norby back to AAA (or replace them if traded). Urias and Mateo will be cheap in arbitration if not traded/nontendered. Mountcastle and Mullins will be more expensive in arbitration, but they have been looking to trade them and Mullins could get nontendered even if not traded. McCann or an equivalent backup catcher won’t be expensive; same if they want an improvement on Pache (Pache will actually be Arb 1, but won’t get much more than the minimum).

They’ll probably end up more in the $40-$50M range on position players since they don’t need to take it all the way down to the bare minimum, but that’s still ridiculous payroll flexibility with the position players. They need to be spending money on pitching, and I’d rather do that on starters than relievers. 

I agree that it isn't impossible, but going from a bottom 5 payroll straight to $150 million seems a bit overzealous. I would expect a more gradual escalation, but then again, Snell would only be a 1 year commitment if he opts in, so maybe that would be acceptable to ownership for 1 "WS or bust" year.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

April-May-June is for beginners.

If they are both here Wednesday, I wouldn't mind if Povich gets Suarez's SP5 gig, and McDermott joins the middle relief crew.

Granted having even stronger options is preferable.