The 2024 Trade Deadline

I agree that Irvin is not in our "big 3", but if he continues to pitch well, it would be great to have a lefty starter in OPACY for the playoffs.  

I don't think we should be heading into the postseason counting on Kimbrel for the 9th inning.  The rest of this roster is good enough to win a championship; they need a top tier closer.  

6 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree that Irvin is not in our "big 3", but if he continues to pitch well, it would be great to have a lefty starter in OPACY for the playoffs.  

I don't think we should be heading into the postseason counting on Kimbrel for the 9th inning.  The rest of this roster is good enough to win a championship; they need a top tier closer.  

Unfortunately Kimbrel is one of our two most reliable delvers with Coloumbe. It appears the glass slipper is coming off of Cano foot. I do t trust him at all in a big spot. The league had adjusted to his one dimensional ability to only pitch at the bottom of the zone.

36 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m kind of confused with the “coming to earth a bit” idea/notion/words. He has had 2 bad outings ALL SEASON. And all of his numbers are still SUPERIOR in every way to any reliever on our roster.  The talent difference between what he can do and what our best two guys combined can do is very wide!

Again, he has had two bad outings. One recently against the Rays and the other about 4/5 appearances ago against the Rockies.

He is literally the very best reliever that we could acquire.

I don’t disagree with anything you said, my point was that he slipped a bit. Normally you’re right, it wouldn’t matter, great players have bad days. However, with his injury, history, and the fact that he’s always throwing as hard, it is possible for a human to throw, the injury risk lowered the price a bit.

A few weeks ago, I posted about the possibility of a Basallo/Miller trade, so I’m definitely willing to acquire him, and pay a lot for him to boot.

But the injury risk is real, and, although it’s minor, probably irrelevant, he has slipped a bit recently.

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t disagree with anything you said, my point was that he slipped a bit. Normally you’re right, it wouldn’t matter, great players have bad days. However, with his injury, history, and the fact that he’s always throwing as hard, it is possible for a human to throw, the injury risk lowered the price a bit.

A few weeks ago, I posted about the possibility of a Basallo/Miller trade, so I’m definitely willing to acquire him, and pay a lot for him to boot.

But the injury risk is real, and, although it’s minor, probably irrelevant, he has slipped a bit recently.

While I wouldn’t love a trade involving Basallo.  And would prefer a lesser tier player. I understand that you have to give value in order to get value. And I don’t think we can continue to afford to punt present opportunities for future possibilities (that may or may not come).

I also acknowledge what you stated that Miller has a notable injury risk. But I believe you don’t make the shots that you don’t take.

IMO Miller would put us over the top in terms of being a WS favorite this year. And if we could pair him with Bautista for a few seasons in the future, the odds would be seriously stacked in our favor in the postseason.

14 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

While I wouldn’t love a trade involving Basallo.  And would prefer a lesser tier player. I understand that you have to give value in order to get value. And I don’t think we can continue to afford to punt present opportunities for future possibilities (that may or may not come).

I also acknowledge what you stated that Miller has a notable injury risk. But I believe you don’t make the shots that you don’t take.

IMO Miller would put us over the top in terms of being a WS favorite this year. And if we could pair him with Bautista for a few seasons in the future, the odds would be seriously stacked in our favor in the postseason.

I agree completely, and I would be willing to give up Basallo for him. it was a lively discussion, and there was a strong division between people who were willing to make such a trade and who weren’t, plus not a few people who suggested that Oakland wouldn’t do it.
My only worry is that we give up a bunch to get him, and then he says hello and throws his arm out or something.

It makes sense that if you can have success throwing less than maximum effort, your arm will last longer, so I worry about Miller.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Unfortunately Kimbrel is one of our two most reliable delvers with Coloumbe. It appears the glass slipper is coming off of Cano foot. I do t trust him at all in a big spot. The league had adjusted to his one dimensional ability to only pitch at the bottom of the zone.

This ies exactly why we need to get more than one reliever at the deadline--a top closer and a top setup man. I was hoping that Wells would come back to help the bullpen this year, but that is no longer possible.    Kimbrell can be part of the setup crew, but he is no longer an elite closer.  

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Would you do Holliday?

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

What is Luzardos class?  He’s a guy that has great stuff but has had injury concerns (including this year) throughout his career.

He has had one outstanding season and is in the midst of a good but not great 2024.

If he pitches at a high level the next 2 months, they may get a top 20 prospect for him but if not, they aren’t likely to get a better package than that.

If you were the Marlins, would you trade Luzardo for Kjerstad and a collection of non-top 100 prospects?

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

If you were the Marlins, would you trade Luzardo for Kjerstad and a collection of non-top 100 prospects?

If it was the best deal I could get,yes because I don’t trust his health and non top 100 guys means nothing.  It’s not like I suggested c/d level prospects along with Kjerstad.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

I agree completely, and I would be willing to give up Basallo for him. it was a lively discussion, and there was a strong division between people who were willing to make such a trade and who weren’t, plus not a few people who suggested that Oakland wouldn’t do it.
My only worry is that we give up a bunch to get him, and then he says hello and throws his arm out or something.

It makes sense that if you can have success throwing less than maximum effort, your arm will last longer, so I worry about Miller.

Miller also hasn’t worked that much  and the league is seeing him for the first  time. 

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Would you do Holliday?

There is no way in H E 1 1 that I would trade JH for Miller.

It almost seems twilight zonish stuff that someone suggested this. 

The NUMBER ONE  prospect in the game for a reliever who has been performing at a collegiate and pro level from fair and middling to this year very good.  But he has never been a 'can't miss' prospect like JH.

This is why so many social media influencers get mega money from simps.  People LOVE to fixate on the next best thing.

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

There is no way in H E 1 1 that I would trade JH for Miller.

It almost seems twilight zonish stuff that someone suggested this. 

The NUMBER ONE  prospect in the game for a reliever who has been performing at a collegiate and pro level from fair and middling to this year very good.  But he has never been a 'can't miss' prospect like JH.

This is why so many social media influencers get mega money from simps.  People LOVE to fixate on the next best thing.

NO ONE is suggesting trading PAUL SKENES.