The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, cnmilton said:

I want no part of Scherzer's personality in the Os dugout

What's wrong with Scherzer's personality? He reminds me a lot of Corbin Burnes, but maybe with a bit more fire. Both of them are incredibly competitive and fueled up. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

To be fair, the flexor tendon injury in 2022 came when he was well on his way to besting his 149.1 IP high from 2021.  It also ate into the following season's IP as well, as he just came back from recovering.  

I’ll trust in Elias, but Basallo or Mayo (plus additional prospects) seems like a steep price to pay for Skubal even with him being under team control through 2026. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

What's wrong with Scherzer's personality? He reminds me a lot of Corbin Burnes, but maybe with a bit more fire. Both of them are incredibly competitive and fueled up. 

I’ve always been a big Scherzer fan and I don’t see him causing problems with team chemistry. The question is can he still pitch. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Would Bellinger of the Cubs be available? Cubs are last place and Bellinger has all the players options ahead. He'd be the CF upgrade we are looking for. I'm also intrigued by Mark leiter jr in their bullpen 

Ballinger sounds good but is player option at $27.5 mill likely to be picked up?  I would want to know whether he would pick up player option.  He would be a big upgrade on Mullins but not $27.5 mill upgrade.

20 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Scherzer would be great if he has anything left.

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

Ballinger sounds good but is player option at $27.5 mill likely to be picked up?  I would want to know whether he would pick up player option.  He would be a big upgrade on Mullins but not $27.5 mill upgrade.

If his season continues like it is, he is going to take the money. He's not exactly tearing the cover off of the ball and 27M for a .750 OPS bat is quite the payday.

21 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

Getting in confrontations with managers on and off the field isn't a good look. Heck of a pitching talent.  Don't want the young pitchers picking up these traits from him. 

Where/when was this? I don't recall any drama around Scherzer with managers short of Scherzer wanting to keep the ball while on the mound. 

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’d be hesitant to give up too much for Skubal 2021 is the only season where’s he come close to making 30 starts. 

Yeah , I looked at his stats, they looked good except the one you mentioned -games started, innings pitched, .  The Orioles need do their diligence on him 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, 24fps said:

I believe that the O's COULD be the next Houston Astros.  And Mike Elias is a good horse to bet on to get them there.

I also believe that the baseball gods absolutely adore hubris.  It's a wonderful opportunity to have a good long laugh, share a round of applause, and raise their glasses in a toast.

Then they punish...

“Man makes his plans, and the Gods laugh.”

• Upvote 1

Regarding spending: since AJ Preller took over in San Diego, he has spent money like Sailors on shore leave, traded everyone but his grandmother and has almost nothing to show for it except a huge payroll.

One doesn’t solve a problem by flinging money at it, and I pray Mike never does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1