DSL Orioles 2024

RZNJ

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Very informative post.  Hopefully, we start getting some better results at Delmarva.  I know this is the DLS thread, but who do we see getting promoted from the FCL to Delmarva to start 25'?  Bats wise.  

I haven’t followed the O’s past FCL promotions too carefully, but they’re pretty aggressive about it.  I’d say Miguel Rodriguez (162 PA/.840 OPS), Elis Cuevas (195/.810) and Edwin Amparo (195/.784) are shoe-ins.  Luis Almeyda (190/.653) had a very strong July (.279/.429/.426) that may push him to Delmarva as well.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I haven’t followed the O’s past FCL promotions too carefully, but they’re pretty aggressive about it.  I’d say Miguel Rodriguez (162 PA/.840 OPS), Elis Cuevas (195/.810) and Edwin Amparo (195/.784) are shoe-ins.  Luis Almeyda (190/.653) had a very strong July (.279/.429/.426) that may push him to Delmarva as well.  

Good call.  Maybe Joshua Liranzo.   He misses the beginning of the FCL season.  When he finally started he got his share of hits but showed almost no power.   Then the average dropped too and the power never showed up.   If they feel his season was caused by never being 100% I think there’s still a chance he gets moved up

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Good call.  Maybe Joshua Liranzo.   He misses the beginning of the FCL season.  When he finally started he got his share of hits but showed almost no power.   Then the average dropped too and the power never showed up.   If they feel his season was caused by never being 100% I think there’s still a chance he gets moved up

He’s so young that I’m guessing they won’t push him.  But I could be wrong.  

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I'd be shocked if he got pushed up after the season he had this year unless he showed up in spring training and looked like a totally different guy. He was still very young for the FCL, but his numbers overall were a disappointment, even if they were ankle related.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Morfe with the huge jump from DSL to Delmarva. I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch now.

He didn’t pitch for about 3 weeks in July.  I wonder if they were saving some innings for Delmarva.  

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He didn’t pitch for about 3 weeks in July.  I wonder if they were saving some innings for Delmarva.  

Very well could be. I'm pretty sure this is the first time Elias has jumped a DSL player to Delmarva in midseason. Pretty interesting and I'm glad to get a chance to put eyes on. 

Black prevailed over Orange today with Esteban Luna tossing 5 shutout innings, allowing only 2 hits without a walk, striking out 4.   On the year:  1.49 ERA, 1.02 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, 2.2 K/BB.   He's started 9 games and only allowed runs in 4 of them.  He's one of the 5 pitchers in the org who are age 17 this season.   There's a lot to like here.

This post is going to focus on the defense of the DSL players who have put up good offensive numbers.   Needless to say, it is very difficult to judge defensive ability based on minor league stats, and I have no eyewitness information.

Orange

Jordan Sanchez (1.037 OPS) -- he has mostly played RF, with a good bit of CF and a smattering of LF.  Altogether he has a .952 fieding percentage, with 3 assists and 2 errors.  

Stiven Martinez (.854) -- he has mostly played CF, with a couple of games in LF.   He has a .927 fielding percentage, with 3 errors and no assists, though he was reputed to have a very strong arm.   Though the fielding percentage is low, I take something from the fact that he's in CF most days, at age 16.

Adriander Mejia (.826) -- he has caught 21 games and made only one error and only has one passed ball, and has caught 45% of baserunners.  Only 1.5 attempted steals per game is very low for the DSL and suggests his arm is respected (2.6 attempts per game is league average, with a 24% cuaght stealing rate).  When not catching, he's played 9 games at 1B, where he's made two errors.

Luis Guevara (.817) - he's played 16 games at SS (.959, one error), 8 at 3B (.889, one error) and 5 at 2B (no errors).  The fact that he's not the primary SS for Orange (Emilio Sanchez has started 27 games there) suggests he has some limitations there, though his fielding percentage is much better than Sanchez's.

Hector Campusano (.768) -- he has been the primary 2B for Orange, fielding at .961 (3 errors in 24 games).   He's also played a smattering of OF. 

Black

Elvin Garcia (.989) -- He's split his time between SS (19 games, 1 error, .980) and 3B (11 games, 1 error, .952).  He hasn't been the primary at either spot, but appears to have handled both capably.

Felix Amparo (.912) -- he's been abysmal at 3B, making 10 errors in 12 games (.667), and has also played 10 errorless games at 1B and 8 games at 2B with only 1 error (.968).   

Juan Ortega (.803) -- the principal catcher for Black (24 games), he's made 7 errors there with 5 passed balls, and has caught 30% of runners, who attempt a little over 2 steals a game on him.   On the face of it, Mejia of Orange appears to be the superior defender in all respects.   However, Ortega does do a solid job controlling the running game.

Jose Mejia (.790) -- he has split his time between 2B (27 games, 4 errors, .960) and 1B (11 games, no errors).   

Jemone Nuel (.780) -- he's been the principal SS for Black, where he's made 5 errors in 27 games (.938).   He's also played 8 games at 3B, where he's made one error (.933).  

I don't take too much away from any of this, but it does at least look like Adriander Mejia (C) and Elvin Garcia (SS/3B) have been very good on both sides of the ball.   And, don't let Felix Amparo anywhere near 3B!

• Like 1

Stiven Martinez is now featured on an MLB.com writeup on fast risers in each org. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-top-prospects-on-the-rise-2024?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Orioles: Stiven Martinez, RHP [sic!]
Signed in January for $950,000, Martinez wasn’t on the Orioles’ preseason Top 30, but worked his way on thanks to his solid start in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League. He’s just turning 17 now and has tremendous raw power from the right side of the plate. He’ll need to work on his approach, but he was drawing walks and making a ton of hard contact during his debut.

BTW Roster Resouce ranks him #44 in the O's org, between Reed Trimble and Jean Pinto.

Edited by now

12 hours ago, now said:

Stiven Martinez is now featured on an MLB.com writeup on fast risers in each org. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-top-prospects-on-the-rise-2024?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

Orioles: Stiven Martinez, RHP [sic!]
Signed in January for $950,000, Martinez wasn’t on the Orioles’ preseason Top 30, but worked his way on thanks to his solid start in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League. He’s just turning 17 now and has tremendous raw power from the right side of the plate. He’ll need to work on his approach, but he was drawing walks and making a ton of hard contact during his debut.

BTW Roster Resouce ranks him #44 in the O's org, between Reed Trimble and Jean Pinto.

It's almost like I have him in the top 30 in the prospect power rankings too and have had him there for awhile now. ;)

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's almost like I have him in the top 30 in the prospect power rankings too and have had there for awhile now. ;)

Jim Callis and Jonathan Mayo's work rate is a little slower than yours!

In the story they touted "next Tuesday" they will unveil their updated Top 30's by org, now that the GM's have actually caught them up who is valuable.